Sign in to follow this  
BHM

Whiney Subaru Gearbox

I suspect I know the answer to my question but hear goes.

11 year Subaru estate, non turbo, some whine with power on in 3rd & 4th plus slight whine in 5th. In all my years I’ve never had a noisy Subaru ‘box. It’s borderline sellable (the sound’s far from deafening) but has anyone came across this and is there a CHEAP (notice the capitals) fix? i.e. oil change?

...here goes.

7 minutes ago, BHM said:

I suspect I know the answer to my question but hear goes.

11 year Subaru estate, non turbo, some whine with power on in 3rd & 4th plus slight whine in 5th. In all my years I’ve never had a noisy Subaru ‘box. It’s borderline sellable (the sound’s far from deafening) but has anyone came across this and is there a CHEAP (notice the capitals) fix? i.e. oil change?

...here goes.

Not really my area of expertise, but I thought they were known for a bit of whining? But, an oil change would be my first move.

maybe its got water in the box

as suggested first action is take old oil out if you can and replace with thickest grade suburub recommend

my last transit had pure water in the diff but once drained and filled with 80/90 she ran for tens of thousands of miles after

41 minutes ago, tradex said:

sawdust.....pair of tights...banana skins...molasses;)

Old school that..... I'm sure Wynns or someone will sell you a bottle of goo 'specifically designed' for the job. Golden bullet in a bottle

Just now, palomine motors said:

Old school that..... I'm sure Wynns or someone will sell you a bottle of goo 'specifically designed' for the job. Golden bullet in a bottle

..that wont work

49 minutes ago, tradex said:

sawdust.....pair of tights...banana skins...molasses;)

Castrol Hypoy 90 diff oil mixed with tea bags I seem to remember worked on boxes.I don’t think it would now of course,these modern tea bags are not up to strength.

49 minutes ago, palomine motors said:

..that wont work

‘Gearbox in a tin’ it’s called here. Along with their stop smoke product, ‘engine in a tin!’

We had a noisy box on a legacy a few years ago, it needed a new rear bearing, was about £300 for the gearbox guys bit.

Hmmmm & there was me hoping for £10-bottle-of-plop fix or a quick clean of the magic fu-fu valve. 

It’s MOT time for the old farm hack so I’ll have a look whilst on the ramp, scratch my head and take it from there.

Thanks for all the help :lol:

I have had a few pugs with rumbles from the boxes (that sounds so wrong) some seemed to respond well to Forte gear box additive and some didnt. 

A belated thanks, the car went as it is. After looking at Dealer Auction there’s be a few on their over the last fortnight & all made more money ‘trade’ than I advertised mine at, with a half-decent profit, so it was a no-brainer.