Sign in to follow this  
MrV

Best performing sales channels for certain car models...

As a newcomer to the trade keeping costs to a minimum is very important so I have been considering which channels to use for advertising particular car models. Previously on my last 3 cars I have used as much as I can such as eBay, Gumtree, Facebook, Autotrader and motors.co.uk. I don't care about getting texts, stupid offers etc from certain sites, if it sells my car I'm not bothered. From my last 3 sales (2 corsas and a fiesta) local Facebook group posts has been the most successful channel to find real buyers, followed by enquiries coming from Gumtree and Autotrader, with nothing coming from eBay, which has really surprised me. I personally believe this is down to the actual model being sold, for example I've got a 2013 Suzuki Alto with 10k on the clock to list, surely no one on Gumtree or eBay will be searching for that type of car and autotrader would be a better channel to advertise on as I'd guess the more mature driver would choose AT over eBay etc with Corsa's being more of a younger drivers car I'd assume eBay would be a better platform. Would you agree? do you choose which platform to use dependant on the model itself etc? do you find different platforms yield different results?

I used to worry about stuff like this but now all my stock goes virtually everywhere and the truth is the response is quite unpredictable. 

AT performs best for me, by miles, irrespective of models. CarGurus worst. I am sure that other people here will report the complete opposite. 

6 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I used to worry about stuff like this but now all my stock goes virtually everywhere and the truth is the response is quite unpredictable. 

AT performs best for me, by miles, irrespective of models. CarGurus worst. I am sure that other people here will report the complete opposite. 

See that's why I asked the question Nick, I've done loads of forum searching today and it seems the consensus says that recently AT has been in a decline. I'm sure someone will pop up with the "Ben, you shouldn't give a shit about this, just sell the car" but to me this is important, as a newbie I need to keep things tight and for me to advertise on all of the mainstream channels its around £80 or something so I'm worried about wasting money on platforms which will never attract the right buyer

7 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

Ben, you shouldn't give a shit about this, just sell the car

+1

7 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

as a newbie I need to keep things tight and for me to advertise on all of the mainstream channels its around £80 or something so I'm worried about wasting money on platforms which will never attract the right buyer

You should always keep things tight but as Newbie one thing comes above all else: learning. 

You can certainly ask questions on a forum but you'll need to do a lot of experimenting yourself, especially with advertising to find out what works for you and how. I could pick up the phone and call you right now (on the number ending 366) and tell you in a 40 minute call most of what you really need to know but I'd be robbing you of the unrepeatable opportunity to learn it all yourself :-)

Edited by Nick M.K.

so heres a cat amongst the pigeons, a old chap whos looking for a lets say a alto, would never dream of looking on ebay, he thinks thats for buying handbags, but, his grandson "will look on ebay for you grandad" :)

there is no answer, other than to spread your cloth, and see which works.

Just now, have a word with the wife said:

a old chap whos looking for a lets say a alto, would never dream of looking on ebay

I sell quite a few on eBay (classified, not auction) and my buyers from there are two types: 

1) old chaps (I can't comment on the Altos because I've never sold one)

2) 25-45yo blokes who don't bring their wives with them when they buy

Both types are very sensible to deal with. 

thanks for the feedback chaps, this forum is a great tool for learning, I ask and you shall Teach!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, benjiv50 said:

I ask and you shall Teach!

Wouldn't you feel too much pressure to be super successful after all this information and advice very few people had when they were starting?

I can't imagine the group disappointment on this forum if one day you were to start a thread about "my last sale, taking a break from car sales" ...

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

Wouldn't you feel too much pressure to be super successful after all this information and advice very few people had when they were starting?

I can't imagine the group disappointment on this forum if one day you were to start a thread about "my last sale, taking a break from car sales" ...

Hell no, I'll use it and apply it as instructed, you guys have been there and done it, if I were to fail after everything I've been told so far then obviously I'm a grade A wanker 

• Like 1

the alto is a car that your customer would not travel far to purchase so the best medium is the one that works best for your area ie look on ebay then autotrader use your own postcode put in 10 miles max and see where most traders sell their wares for something like this ie a tight coffin dodger:lol:

I would think its almost impossible to answer that, as geographical differences would make it almost impossible to get an answer you could work with.

Then factor in things like trader a, works hard on his Facebook page boosts posts lots of likes really good question response rate ect then trader b, pops the odd add on here and there never boosts anything takes days to answer if your sitting in the pub and you have a pint with trader a, you would jump on Facebook as he says its the best thing since sliced bread(thats an odd saying as i prefer to cut my own anyway)  if your where sitting with trader b, you wouldnt bother as he would say its full of kids and geeks you cant understand.

My very long winded point is you have to find out what works for YOU by YOU no one has a crystal ball and the market is changing daily even if the old school dont want to admit it. 

4 minutes ago, AutoExport said:

FOR ALL YOUR EXPORTING REQUIREMENTS CONTACT IMRAN ADAM AT AUTOEXPORT

IMRAN@AUTOEXPORT.CO.UK

0044 7399071917

Thanks for chipping in and being part of the community 

7 minutes ago, AutoExport said:

FOR ALL YOUR EXPORTING REQUIREMENTS CONTACT IMRAN ADAM AT AUTOEXPORT

IMRAN@AUTOEXPORT.CO.UK

0044 7399071917

How much for an 09 Astra?

29 minutes ago, sparky said:

How much for an 09 Astra?

On the return trip can you send me back a young lady 21 who doesnt mind cleaning cars and cooking.

Million dollar question,  but what works for some doesn’t work for others, I am of the opinion that people look at multiple classified internet sites after first doing a google search... the sites that are top of a google search in one area don’t  always appear in another area,  I had an 80 year old chap drive  5 hours from South Wales to Lancs last month for a Peugeot partner that he had seen on “Honest John “ wtf is Honest John and do they not have Peugeot Partners down there??? Advertising is a gamble no right or wrong ones some cheap ones can give better results than others and if not a lot of competition can allow you to have bigger margins.. 

“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I sell quite a few on eBay (classified, not auction) and my buyers from there are two types: 

1) old chaps (I can't comment on the Altos because I've never sold one)

2) 25-45yo blokes who don't bring their wives with them when they buy

Both types are very sensible to deal with. 

Same here- (I don't advertise on Autoraper at all) and ebay Classified gets buyers from all walks of life and ages.  I wouldn't underestimate the oldies.  Some of them are very internet savvy - or their children/grandchildren look out for them.

I'd advertise that Alto in the local press if it was me.  They def. look in there.  

Edited by NOACROSS

I think I'm going back to putting a list in the Post Office window and Co Op "for sale" board...!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tim H said:

I think I'm going back to putting a list in the Post Office window and Co Op "for sale" board...!!

There’s still some ‘For Sale’ bargains there if you keep an eye out. 

26 minutes ago, Tim H said:

Quite a few Co-ops now have the local Post Office in store; so there is a saving on advertising there for you!! :)

12 hours ago, benjiv50 said:

thanks for the feedback chaps, this forum is a great tool for learning, I ask and you shall Teach!

Quite right Ben, I do rather suspect most reading / contributing to this thread are learning (expanding their own knowledge as they go... me included.. so do keep them coming.. as it has been stated; no one answer suits all.. but with the answers come points most independents will and can learn from.. 

Very informative so thanks all for taking time to give these threads your input! ;)

Edited by Area 51

7 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

I think I'm going back to putting a list in the Post Office window and Co Op "for sale" board..

I've never sold this way but have bought a few locally responding to these ads, usually from a private mature owner who was "giving up" driving so no possibility to p/x it. 

I'm going to drive it along Morecambe promonade blasting a bit of Brahms with a for sale special OAP rate sign on the roof :D

2 hours ago, justina3 said:

On the return trip can you send me back a young lady 21 who doesnt mind cleaning cars and cooking.

or a nice thai girl

who must own her own boat

please send pictures of boat

5 minutes ago, chief nut job said:

or a nice thai girl

who must own her own boat

please send pictures of boat

Haha the MOT station are wondering why I just spat my juice out (yes I drink juice as an adult)

21 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

(yes I drink juice as an adult)

Given you want spoon feeding that does not surprise me ;)

I found this stuff out by measuring response and trialling many forms to see what worked best for my stock profile. what works now may not perform in 12 months. 

No shortcut but if you think facebook works for you then keep on at that. Its cheaper than Autotrader for sure.

26 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

Given you want spoon feeding that does not surprise me ;)

I found this stuff out by measuring response and trialling many forms to see what worked best for my stock profile. what works now may not perform in 12 months. 

No shortcut but if you think facebook works for you then keep on at that. Its cheaper than Autotrader for sure.

Hehe it's true I do need spoon feeding, I will plonk it on autotrader too I think "get em in and get em out"