Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

I'm losing patience and tolerance. Advice needed

25 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I used to re-auction via no reserve auction between 30/50 cars per month on ebay prior to the crash 2008, just like Luke at Sterling Cars £400 net per car... He actually copied my business model, 40% of all auctions were wrecked by the greater majority last minute foreign named bidders who had no intention of owning the car, and I mean my head would drop when mo... or naz... was the winner.... Utter scumbags... Don't get me started in eBay. 

That sterling cars have some balls of steel, auctioning Bentleys and stuff, he must be doing something near correct because he's been doing it for years. 

And I definitely relate to your frustration, many people are just so brain dead. 

Edited by NoMargin

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Too many people on here let the punters get them down.

Im so guilty of this! 

2 minutes ago, NoMargin said:

That sterling cars have some balls of steel, auctioning Bentleys and stuff, he must be doing something near correct because he's been doing it for years. 

And I definitely relate to your frustration, many people are just so brain dead. 

Shoveling up all the crap from BCA and re-auctioning it on eBay. Selling to those who just want "cheap" and they still neg him. Totally unfair in my book. 

45 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Shoveling up all the crap from BCA and re-auctioning it on eBay. Selling to those who just want "cheap" and they still neg him. Totally unfair in my book. 

Him and Neil used to dress it all up a bit though.

Bit more blunt these days.

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yeah, I know.... you don't need to tell me, I wake up every morning thinking how can I improve and simplify my video purchasing process. The problem is, the internet allows the extrinsically stupid (and they now have smart phones) to attempt communication when they have the inability to read the simplest thing, like the advert.

I used to re-auction via no reserve auction between 30/50 cars per month on ebay prior to the crash 2008, just like Luke at Sterling Cars £400 net per car... He actually copied my business model, 40% of all auctions were wrecked by the greater majority last minute foreign named bidders who had no intention of owning the car, and I mean my head would drop when mo... or naz... was the winner.... Utter scumbags... Don't get me started in eBay. 

what is it with these people? every auction was invariably won by them, do they bid on a dozen and then cherry pick

Just opened my eBay emails. 4 emails this evening.

One simply says “800”. I assume that’s an £800 offer on the £1500 vehicle.

Another wants £500 off another car, and my assurances that it’s perfect! 

The third “Hi would u consider a favourable swap on this”. Favourable to who I wonder!?!!

The fourth had previously asked me “Wots ur bottom price mate” on a £2499 car, so I’d answered £2500. Here’s his response “???. You have it up for £2499....would you take £2000.” At least this character only wants £499 off! :lol:

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yeah, I know.... you don't need to tell me, I wake up every morning thinking how can I improve and simplify my video purchasing process. The problem is, the internet allows the extrinsically stupid (and they now have smart phones) to attempt communication when they have the inability to read the simplest thing, like the advert.

Is the market too difficult to re visit this business model Simon? 

It's a dealer set up that I have always been fascinated with and just assumed they had massive stocking loans set up with bca and clearly getting the best fee levels. 

I know they have had to change names over the years and I've read they've had issues with trading standards but to behonest ebay is such a one sided marketplace I totally understand the need for them to perhaps 'work' the system to get it to offer a decent return. 

But I do view it from a point of admiration so would love to know how they make it work - or how you made it work! 

5 minutes ago, Linctrader said:

It's a dealer set up that I have always been fascinated with and just assumed they had massive stocking loans set up with bca and clearly getting the best fee levels. 

I know they have had to change names over the years and I've read they've had issues with trading standards but to behonest ebay is such a one sided marketplace I totally understand the need for them to perhaps 'work' the system to get it to offer a decent return. 

But I do view it from a point of admiration so would love to know how they make it work - or how you made it work! 

I have just looked at a Sterling Cars if that is the business you are referring to and my first impression is they appear to be ‘shysters’.Why would anyone would want to replicate them,looking at their stock ,‘source of funds’ comes to mind and I am not referring to dealer stocking loans.

5 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I have just looked at a Sterling Cars if that is the business you are referring to and my first impression is they appear to be ‘shysters’.Why would anyone would want to replicate them,looking at their stock ,‘source of funds’ comes to mind and I am not referring to dealer stocking loans.

I'm fascinated and tbh admire how they do what they do and keep reinventing themselves. 

Plus ebay is a nightmare platform but a double edged sword... One of the best known and most used online auction site for the general public but this same public as we know hide behind the screen and can simply walk away if they choose so. 

And eBay charges fees regardless on both sides with only the listing fee recoverable. 

I assume the trading standards issues over time have lead them to present what is a trade only stance on their listing. 

I've read about shill bidding etc which ebay say is illegal but goes on daily in auction halls up and down the country so I struggle to level any judgement against them over that either. 

11 minutes ago, trade vet said:

,‘source of funds’ comes to mind

Just read that bit again and I see what you mean lol... 

15 hours ago, trade vet said:

It is tough going and it’s not only our job,look at what’s happening in the high street.Consumer debt is through the roof,a lot of people are maxed out because they don’t understand debt......We have been here before,people always need cars.I always found when it got bad,no trade,cheques bouncing ( including your own) solicitors letters,engines blowing,etc and you think it could not get any worse and it often did.You just have to hang in and then you get a break and things pick up and it’s back to normal.

Too many people on here let the punters get them down.

Consumer debt.....I have just had a deal explained to me where a punter was refinanced having had several thousand pounds negative equity on a small car which they had bought new.....My wife also tells me people may run their life through their mobile phones.Typically they may order a ‘must have’new frock for £30 ,seen on some celebrity on social media on their £40 per month smart phone to be delivered tomorrow.They go out with friends ,spend £100 and the next day they bin the frock because they cannot wear it again because of their selfie on Instagram or something...I am sure a lot of these people earn good money,no wonder they are insolvent.....Rant over !

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Consumer debt.....I have just had a deal explained to me where a punter was refinanced having had several thousand pounds negative equity on a small car which they had bought new.....My wife also tells me people may run their life through their mobile phones.Typically they may order a ‘must have’new frock for £30 ,seen on some celebrity on social media on their £40 per month smart phone to be delivered tomorrow.They go out with friends ,spend £100 and the next day they bin the frock because they cannot wear it again because of their selfie on Instagram or something...I am sure a lot of these people earn good money,no wonder they are insolvent.....Rant over !

£7.50 for a hair cut for my 5 year old grandson and it gets cut every 4 weeks,i go to the guy in the next village and pay £3 i dont need the bowl these days,its so so easy to not see money when its all chip/pin.........my rant over too

42 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Sums it up nicely, life on their mobile "device".. However, generations are/have grown up with them/live on them, and a lot of parents are copying their kids to keep up!... so if it aint in/on the mobile/APP/ipad.. it may as well not exist..

I heard somewhere Debenhams (or another skint high street outlet) was going to start stocking new Fords (similar) in the foyer... with a pointy shoe type flogging finance so they can buy their avocados, chicken fillet bras, cat litter and face lift cream and then drive home in a new motor.... and thats just the blokes, the ones with shaped eyebrows and dyed hair.. My how the world is changing..

Still, a sump plug is still a sump plug..

1 hour ago, Linctrader said:

I'm fascinated and tbh admire how they do what they do and keep reinventing themselves. 

Plus ebay is a nightmare platform but a double edged sword... One of the best known and most used online auction site for the general public but this same public as we know hide behind the screen and can simply walk away if they choose so. 

And eBay charges fees regardless on both sides with only the listing fee recoverable. 

I assume the trading standards issues over time have lead them to present what is a trade only stance on their listing. 

I've read about shill bidding etc which ebay say is illegal but goes on daily in auction halls up and down the country so I struggle to level any judgement against them over that either. 

Just read that bit again and I see what you mean lol... 

If you click on the bidders on a car on ebay, there is a section that shows that buyers "activity" with the seller of the item you are looking at. It used to be a lot more in depth, but changed in the past year or so and now only shows high level info; however you can still see if that the person bidding is a regular bidder with the seller; I'd hazard a guess ebay have computers now monitor this pattern of behavior.. whether they take action is another matter, after all they want their auctions fees and there in is the rub on this whole venue for selling....if you get shafted as a seller and need to readvertise, they still get fees..so I'd have to guess "ebay motors + gumtree which they also own" is making a good margin just like ATrader.... The web is the place to be! is it not?

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

You are absolutely correct. Half of them can’t afford their drinks on a night - these young ’uns are buying drinks on plastic & you can bet they aren’t eating into an existing balance.

There’s much truth in the old saying about poor people waste money - the biggest wasters are those with nowt. Chicken & egg? Sort of?

1 hour ago, Area 51 said:

Still, a sump plug is still a sump plug.

However most new cars now have PLASTIC .... yes PLASTIC ones!

Yes that's right, heavy handed mechanics now have to be careful not to break a PLASTIC sump plug...... Its a good job these PLASTIC sump plugs don't do something important!

29 minutes ago, BHM said:

You are absolutely correct. Half of them can’t afford their drinks on a night - these young ’uns are buying drinks on plastic & you can bet they aren’t eating into an existing balance.

I walked into a "Bar" in town a couple of weeks ago and stood for 20 minutes waiting to get a pint of beer... It was full of arseholes ordering coffee cocktail frothy things emitting smoke from liquid nitrogen and cooing over said drinks and taking multiple photos of the bastards! And paying on their phone!

I gave up in the end and went to another "bar"

3 hours ago, Linctrader said:

I wouldn’t want to re visit the past. It was a successful period in my career, the thing is though I really hated the buyers, scumbags. Now, I simply want an easy life.

Shill bidding is essential to make that model work, it’s easily done, however I’m really surprised they are still in business. Good luck to them.

41 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I wouldn’t want to re visit the past. It was a successful period in my career, the thing is though I really hated the buyers, scumbags. Now, I simply want an easy life.

Shill bidding is essential to make that model work, it’s easily done, however I’m really surprised they are still in business. Good luck to them.

Years ago I did similar on a much smaller scale - those were the days when you could ‘have it off’ on eBay but as Arfur says you had to get involved in some immoral bidding practices :lol:

In the end the private man got more & more cautious & nowadays is shitty frightened of the uncertainties of buying via auction - years ago many believed the old ‘Won’t need much for its next MOT line”!!

However, as Arfur says (this is beginning to sound like a love in) the bidders we were left with were plastic traders, Asians, Nigerians, white tracksuit trash, the usual midnight dreamers and complete & utter arseholes - the stress of dealing with such riff raff & not being able to challenge them when they cocked on a deal infuriated me. The ingratitude of the public was also staggering.

I’d imagine Sterling Cars business model sails close to the wind but it appears more or less upfront, I wonder about funding issues but as they’ve been going years in various incarnations I guess money’s not a problem. God help them dealing with the greedy & penniless nowadays - they deserve a bloody medal!

Simon, grin and bear it. At least your selling process means the most the idiots can do is call you. They seem to be out in force this week, Ive had a variety of them this week. Its been as frustrating but I'll have forgotten all about them by next week when a couple of real buyers have been in

16 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

Simon, grin and bear it. At least your selling process means the most the idiots can do is call you. They seem to be out in force this week, Ive had a variety of them this week. Its been as frustrating but I'll have forgotten all about them by next week when a couple of real buyers have been in

;)

If its any consolation, I've had plenty of idiots and timewasters too Arfur, I'm sure some proper punters will turn up soon.

Sterling cars I heard had problems with the VAT man a few years back...

I don't know how he is still sane, the amount of tossers he has to deal with must be astronomical!  

1 hour ago, ik1980 said:

If its any consolation, I've had plenty of idiots and timewasters too Arfur, I'm sure some proper punters will turn up soon.

Sterling cars I heard had problems with the VAT man a few years back...

I don't know how he is still sane, the amount of tossers he has to deal with must be astronomical!  

;) we can all deal with the knuckle draggers when we are busy, you simply and very quickly dismiss them. Its when you are quiet and waiting for genuine business you notice them more... This game is a Roller-Coaster....

Re "I don't know how he is still sane, the amount of tossers he has to deal with must be astronomical! " 

I absolutely agree, I did it for a good 4/5 years prior to the crash 2008 and sold a shed load of cars, but you are right tossers eventually drained me of the will to carry on doing it........ 

Tossers are there in every business, of that I am pretty sure..... As you said, on quiet days they just seem more obvious.. mobile technology seems to help them surface a lot faster in this day and age.. especially retail with Joe public..

On 20/06/2018 at 7:35 PM, Area 51 said:

Tossers are there in every business, of that I am pretty sure..... As you said, on quiet days they just seem more obvious.. mobile technology seems to help them surface a lot faster in this day and age.. especially retail with Joe public..

There may be tossers in every business but I’m convinced cars bring out the bad in many people. Mobile technology has gone too far for me, I’ll answer a sensible email, answer a phone call but as for texting, chat interfaces etc. there’s no chance here! Any additional means of contact seems only to play to the whims of the time wasters - as always the vest majority of business comes via Alexander Graham Bell’s device.

It’s quiet, or seems it because the cretins are currently vastly outnumbering the genuine. Thankfully I’m plodding on fine doing a few a week, but weeding out the delusioned & reading some of the pitiful (both in form & content) emails is irksome. 

Those punters who have passed my phone ‘screening’ have either been f***ing idiots who I’ve fast tracked along the viewing process or nice & sensible. No middle ground, either idiots or nice & easy (the best are those who’ve been softened up looking at shite elsewhere). Hard times ahead, prices are up for us traders but for months now I repeatedly hear the same thing from punters - the standard of mechanical preparation & presentation of cars is commonly pisspoor.

• Like 1