Sign in to follow this  
MrV

Detailed market sales/trends per quarter analytics

Does anyone pay attention to market sales trends per quarter in detail? I'm a bit of an analytics nerd (from my web design interest etc) and although I sound like a "stay at home and masturbate to springwatch" freak I love a good spreadsheet. I've found a great site which goes into a bit of detail about sales trends including amounts sold in each region in the UK and I wondered, does anyone else use these kind of stats to source what's popular at the time?

I only care about my own stats and keep a log of what sells quickly with healthy margin.  Nothing else matters to me.

probably the best way Mark, until I've sold enough to know my area I find stats like this useful;

Screenshot%2010_zpsxjlhjl1c.png

Screenshot%2013_zps6o7ry3vf.png

Screenshot%2012_zpsofitbyb6.png

Screenshot%2013_zps6kxilxuq.png

stick to springwatch.

you work out whats popular by what you sell. you work out whats unpopular by what sticks.

then it changes because the car that stuck was maybe just the wrong colour (i think its called avalon blue on a focus). And the one you thought was a popular one only sold because it was low mileage. or the right colour (normally black).

It takes years to learn or second guess the general public. Good luck!  

7 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

stick to springwatch.

you work out whats popular by what you sell. you work out whats unpopular by what sticks.

then it changes because the car that stuck was maybe just the wrong colour (i think its called avalon blue on a focus). And the one you thought was a popular one only sold because it was low mileage. or the right colour (normally black).

that's why I find stats like these useful Matt, although I imagine most traders call bullshit, it's a good indicator of the whole market trend in general and considering newbies haven't yet built up a good knowledge of their local market I can't see any harm

• Like 1

if benjiv50  looked at the best sellers he would note the astra at no4 so maybe he should have bought the bargain one and sent it for paint

on a seperate note seeing as i was bored and slightly puffy eyed last night i looked what i could nick in the morcambe area both on tarttrader and eboy and there was nothing it wasall top top money

so he needs to do a norman tebbit and go further afield like cliverpool

forgot this one

Screenshot%2011_zpsi3djhvx7.png

my radius has certainly expanded and as you say Mr Chief I'll be looking at Lpool, preston, manchester, leeds etc etc so quite a bit of choice to be honest

Don’t bog yourself down with this nonsense.

for example, I have had a bumper May and June yet my fellow traders are having a mare.

My average time in stock is 20 days, what bollocks this is.  I sold a Passat in 6 hours and have a BMW for 86 days - the average means Jack.

you just have to trial and error - for example, I will never buy a Fiat 500 again (time in stock), never another Land Rover (cost to prep and warranty), never an odd ball colour, etc etc.

Averages are a pointless exercise, look for problem cars and avoid them.

Above all, go and buy some bloody stock instead of looking at stats which are skewed by large franchise dealers whom offer supported finance, extended warranties, service plans etc (all stuff you can’t). Whilst you’re wasting time looking at stats you’re earning diddly.  Buy something you might make a few quid or lose a few quid but at least you’ll be doing something meaningful and learn something tangible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Don’t bog yourself down with this nonsense.

Above all, go and buy some bloody stock instead of looking at stats which are skewed by large franchise dealers whom offer supported finance, extended warranties, service plans etc (all stuff you can’t). Whilst you’re wasting time looking at stats you’re earning diddly.  Buy something you might make a few quid or lose a few quid but at least you’ll be doing something meaningful and learn something tangible.

Spot on. get something productive done. (says me who has been on forum for an hour already today)

• Like 1

I've spent 3 1/2 hours Searching for stock this morning so far, this is just something I thought was interesting but believe me I'll not be thinking these stats are applicable to me just interesting to see the bigger picture

Least if your worries mate, stats mean the square root of fuck all when you’ve nothing for sale, my stock answer now is astra coupe 

• Like 1

Like I say Andy I just find this stuff interesting that's all, astra coupe?

1 hour ago, benjiv50 said:

probably the best way Mark, until I've sold enough to know my area I find stats like this useful;

Screenshot%2010_zpsxjlhjl1c.png

Screenshot%2013_zps6o7ry3vf.png

Screenshot%2012_zpsofitbyb6.png

Screenshot%2013_zps6kxilxuq.png

To be fair I have a black Fiesta I've been sitting on for a month.

so folks I have read the stats been on this forum and heard everyone say dont buy odd colours dont buy Fiat 500 etc etc then a trader pulls up in a mint green 500, split brand new 64 plate 19k and i gulped,,, felt my bollox drop n said fcuk it... bought it this morning,,, as trader drives away laughing a young blonde bird stops n falls in love with it,,, sold before i had even transferred money for it,,,, wot do we know? n wot do stats mean??? just use your gut n you win some n u lose some....

It is a load of balls really, I'd like to know what are the biggest sellers per region not nationwide. anyway I'm even boring myself with this now, I'll try and create some more newbie hasn't got a clue shenanigans for you soon 

11 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

To be fair I have a black Fiesta I've been sitting on for a month.

Get a chair instead!

3 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

I'll try and create some more newbie hasn't got a clue shenanigans for you soon 

As long as they are not theoretical or Vauxhall related you are more than welcome :-)

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

As long as they are not theoretical or Vauxhall related you are more than welcome :-)

I'll see what I can muster up :D

23 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

just use your gut n you win some n u lose some....

The best advice here. And if you repeatedly screw up & can’t trust your gut, get out of this game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

so folks I have read the stats been on this forum and heard everyone say dont buy odd colours dont buy Fiat 500 etc etc then a trader pulls up in a mint green 500, split brand new 64 plate 19k and i gulped,,, felt my bollox drop n said fcuk it... bought it this morning,,, as trader drives away laughing a young blonde bird stops n falls in love with it,,, sold before i had even transferred money for it,,,, wot do we know? n wot do stats mean??? just use your gut n you win some n u lose some....

split mint eh

wheres arthur dealeys pink one with the battered rims

still in the corner?

well done,really pleased for you

2 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

stick to springwatch.

I think he should be on Springwatch to make it more interesting.The only thing is,if he saw a house sparrow,he might describe it as a Osprey........One thing we now know,he will never make a car dealer.

9 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I think he should be on Springwatch to make it more interesting.The only thing is,if he saw a house sparrow,he might describe it as a Osprey........One thing we now know,he will never make a car dealer.

Oh yes of course from the content I've created on this forum there's already enough evidence that there's no chance I'll ever make a car dealer....absolute bollocks. You're basing that assumption on the fact I asked how much an Astra would retail for but didn't decide to buy it and the fact that instead of starting this project as a complete newbie I instead entrusted the help of well known industry stalwart, namely Chris from Flipping Cars, did loads of research and set everything up correctly to source my first 2 cars to ensure I didn't cock it up right from the start.

Both cars sold for a healthy margin and I'm now on number three, which if it sells at my asking price will also make a healthy margin, no comebacks (yet) no complaints, everything done professionally and by the book....I very rarely use bad language on forums but in this case I personally think I could be excused this time. I get the fact you hate clueless newbies trying to become dealers and creating more competition for trade cars and also clueless newbies joining a public forum to ask questions which they are free to do, if you feel that annoyed by it why the **** are you here?

1 hour ago, whitestone679231 said:

Lovely stuff and very true. 

4 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

Oh yes of course from the content I've created on this forum there's already enough evidence that there's no chance I'll ever make a car dealer....absolute bollocks. You're basing that assumption on the fact I asked how much an Astra would retail for but didn't decide to buy it and the fact that instead of starting this project as a complete newbie I instead entrusted the help of well known industry stalwart, namely Chris from Flipping Cars, did loads of research and set everything up correctly to source my first 2 cars to ensure I didn't cock it up right from the start.

Both cars sold for a healthy margin and I'm now on number three, which if it sells at my asking price will also make a healthy margin, no comebacks (yet) no complaints, everything done professionally and by the book....I very rarely use bad language on forums but in this case I personally think I could be excused this time. I get the fact you hate clueless newbies trying to become dealers and creating more competition for trade cars and also clueless newbies joining a public forum to ask questions which they are free to do, if you feel that annoyed by it why the **** are you here?

Chris from Flipping Cars.....’.known industry stalwart’...as they might say in the USA ...get out of here !     

3 minutes ago, benjiv50 said:

I get the fact you hate clueless newbies trying to become dealers and creating more competition for trade cars and also clueless newbies joining a public forum to ask questions which they are free to do, if you feel that annoyed by it why the **** are you here?

I can't speak on behalf of anyone else but my personal take is this: I don't mind the competition, we are 250 miles apart in a country of 65 million people with 25+ million cars and we are highly unlikely to ever step on each other's toes. I personally disliked the amount of time, effort and overthinking you invested in this last potential transaction without getting any return whatsoever. Sold a couple of cars. Good. Made some money. Even better. Now repeat this a few hundred times and you'll still only know a small fraction of what you need to know. You got a lot of useful info here, now put in the work, take some risk, try to make some real deals and you'll know if it's for you...

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Chris from Flipping Cars.....’.known industry stalwart’...as they might say in the USA ...get out of here !     

and dont slam the door ive just painted it:lol:

• Like 1