Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

How far do your customers usually travel to get to you?

Our average customer travels around 40 miles to get to us. Some come from much further away. 

I chatted to a dealer recently and he said 90% of his business comes from within 5 miles from his pitch (Essex). 

How about your customers?

We’ve been keeping a spreadsheet since January so will update exactly but most are within 30miles and then the odd long distance 

• Like 1

most within 30 miles for us.

but we do sell a lot of our most expensive stuff to people out of the area, being in the lake district they usually treat themselves to a weekend away at the same time.

• Like 1

We've had customers come over from Ireland. 

Also Scotland, North England, South West... We're in Brighton lol.

We delivered a car to Cardiff a month or so ago.

11 minutes ago, RhinoHorn said:

We've had customers come over from Ireland. 

Also Scotland, North England, South West... We're in Brighton lol.

We delivered a car to Cardiff a month or so ago.

I'm the same, they come from all over the country.

If you have a good reputation customers will travel!

Pet hate is when customers ask for a discount because they are travelling 200 miles.

Well that's your choice, buy a car local to you in that case.

Well yours is the cheapest in the country. 

Well travel the distance and buy it then. I can put the price up if you like. 

Oh no, no... when can we come and see it? :rolleyes:

All over. 150 miles to 5 miles. 

When Im getting rid of cheap part exes, sometimes Ireland, but 90% of retail is within 30 miles, rare and odd ball 100 miles 

According to my AT stats the average distance of people who bought was 11.5 miles since the turn of the year.

10 years ago I reckon that average would have been double, at least.

7 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Our average customer travels around 40 miles to get to us. Some come from much further away. 

I chatted to a dealer recently and he said 90% of his business comes from within 5 miles from his pitch (Essex). 

How about your customers?

In my and probably most other traders experience,punters were always prepared to travel.Then we opened a pitch in South London......It is right,you could not get them to come from more than 5 miles away......The reason,it took an hour to travel 5 miles.I think Ken Livingstone had all the traffic lights desynchronised !

Being an internet seller I get punters from all over the UK. The Irish used to be regular buyers but that dried up about 5 years ago.

I’ve sold cars to many countries, Kenya probably the furthest.

I had a Foreign Office employee come from Lagos to check over a Passat estate but not sure that counts as he was a Brit so back here sorting out his affairs. The Passat went via Pickfords.

The two furthest physical collections & driven away must be Italians for a 15 year old white Lincoln town car limo (4 of them, all collecting a limo each on their way down from Scotland - driving to Italy at about 6 m.p.g. each car, they must of been bankrupt by the time they got there) and a fella from Cyprus for a diesel Yaris who planned on taking a leisurely fortnight’s drive through Europe.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BHM said:

Italians for a 15 year old white Lincoln town car limo

You stock profile sure beats mine for diversity :-)

Years ago I had a Rasta from London who won a Smart off me on eBay (back in the early eBay days) .. He paid upfront and hitched down, he arrived 3 days after setting off, he had a story about his journey, got dropped off at Bristol and ended up partying hard stylie...... He had full on Predator dreds to his waste and orange eye... Really chilled guy

51 minutes ago, BHM said:

Being an internet seller I get punters from all over the UK. The Irish used to be regular buyers but that dried up about 5 years ago.

I’ve sold cars to many countries, Kenya probably the furthest.

I had a Foreign Office employee come from Lagos to check over a Passat estate but not sure that counts as he was a Brit so back here sorting out his affairs. The Passat went via Pickfords.

The two furthest physical collections & driven away must be Italians for a 15 year old white Lincoln town car limo (4 of them, all collecting a limo each on their way down from Scotland - driving to Italy at about 6 m.p.g. each car, they must of been bankrupt by the time they got there) and a fella from Cyprus for a diesel Yaris who planned on taking a leisurely fortnight’s drive through Europe.

That sounds a bit like the CIA to me.Are you one of their assets ?

grease is the last sale i made and they are driving it there,i did warn it wouldn't be waterproof if they didnt put it on a boat for the last part of the journey,also it has to be registered in this country for a minimum of 3 months before you can import it i was advised

27 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Years ago I had a Rasta from London who won a Smart off me on eBay (back in the early eBay days) .. He paid upfront and hitched down, he arrived 3 days after setting off, he had a story about his journey, got dropped off at Bristol and ended up partying hard stylie...... He had full on Predator dreds to his waste and orange eye... Really chilled guy

Wonderfull.....you just wonder if there was an ulterior motive.We had this academic come down from the Isle of Skye to the North East to especially buy a bog standard ex utility company Astra Estate.I think he was super intelligent but appeared sub normal in his appearance.When he was leaving,I asked him why he bought ours as he must have passed a hundred similar ones on his way down....He had no idea what I was on about.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

That sounds a bit like the CIA to me.Are you one of their assets ?

I couldnt raffle the bloody Lincoln - it was about the time the market collapsed for this sort of old shite with talk of police forces inspecting this sort of cheap chav tat on a Friday night. I went halves with a fellow trader at the block - he had a workshop & it made sense at the time. I think it was about £3K???

Anyhow, those limos are so floppy that I parked with one wheel on a high kerb & the other on the road which resulted in me cracking a side window! Good ole American engineering. Thankfully the window tinting was so dark I didn’t let it concern me too much, or for that matter, mention it in the eBay auction listings :lol: (those were the days!)

Anyhow I ended up ebaying it on about 6 auctions, got messed by American Asians 4 times, 2 local idiots then our Italian friend made an offer during a 7th auction which I couldn’t refuse.

Sadly I must confess to loving how the old turd drove! A big comfy giant motorised sofa BUT even at a 50mph cruise it was getting 6 to 7 mpg, 3 to 4 around town and on acceleration the computer was at .4 (that’s 0.4) mpg. I thought the quality American fuel computer must of been knackered but no, I blew through 5 gallons of juice in under 25 miles. After that it got parked up.