Sign in to follow this  
tradegirl

DS3 1.6 THP tremor on idle. Ideas?

Hi guys any ideas with this one?

No EML or antipollution (eml hasn't been covered up) the car has 54k miles, drives spot on, lots of power, but sometimes shudders on idle. Sometimes a little, sometimes noticeably so.

Changed spark plugs, coil pack alright, mechanic is at a loss. Any experience with this? Reading online it seems like a common problem.

Thanks!

Air leak somewhere? I have similar on a completely different car 120i petrol, coils and plugs changed, no codes drives spot on and a BMW mech suggested could be an air leak, it's going in Monday for further investigation 

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 1

Could be inlet valves need a walnut blast as its direct injection. Its normal for them have a lumpy idle, could have a burnt or crack exhaust valve in the head. 

• Like 2

Thank you both! Fingers crossed we find it, as try convincing the customer that it's nothing serious :/

4 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

d m f ?

press clutch down, if it goes you need a dmf

Say it isn't so...

Could be a number of things , terrible engines, just terrible. Whatever you do, don't buy another one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Dmf on a petrol?

I’m afraid you’re a few decades out of date. Petrol V70s have had them on for about 16 years, I’ve just had a 12 year old SAAB Aero & that has one, the list goes on & on. 

However whereas diesels knock the stuffing out of DMFs it’s rare that the DMF needs changing on a petrol with a knackered clutch. 

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Could be inlet valves need a walnut blast as its direct injection. Its normal for them have a lumpy idle, could have a burnt or crack exhaust valve in the head. 

This is very common for this engine to need the walnut shell blasting done, its worth doing as a matter of course on this engine.

• Like 1

Many of their cars are pisspoor. Are the PSA group incapable of designing bits of plastic and rubber that don’t leak either air or water? 

2 minutes ago, BHM said:

Many of their cars are pisspoor. Are the PSA group incapable of designing bits of plastic and rubber that don’t leak either air or water? 

Yes

6 hours ago, tradegirl said:

Thanks guys. Back to the mechanic it goes!

Best way to check is to take off inlet manifold and poke a camera down there and see how gunged up the valves are, much easier to do on these than the mini and the mini is not hard to do. To rule out a vac leak do a smoke test. 

17 hours ago, Tom said:

Best way to check is to take off inlet manifold and poke a camera down there and see how gunged up the valves are, much easier to do on these than the mini and the mini is not hard to do. To rule out a vac leak do a smoke test. 

£39.99 at aldi !

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

£39.99 at aldi !

Thats where mine came from bloody briliant little thing as well.