Sign in to follow this  
Pip

New MOT rules

So this week I have a few MOTS booked in. What happens if any cars fail under the dangerous condition and as the new law states it cannot be driven until it's repaired? Potentially my MOTstation could have cars left outside waiting to be picked up by trailer to be taken to another garage for repair. Get a load of dangerous fails one week and then cars will be dumped all over the place surely.

If you are taking your cars to a garage that will fail a car AND keep it you’re using the wrong garage. 

2 hours ago, EPV said:

If you are taking your cars to a garage that will fail a car AND keep it you’re using the wrong garage. 

They won't keep it I was just thinking if everyone who failed on the dangerous catergory was law abiding and left there car there. As it states you are not allowed to drive it away by law. 

Will be interesting to hear/see our attitudes to diesel cars coming in PX with a short MOT.

25 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Will be interesting to hear/see our attitudes to diesel cars coming in PX with a short MOT.

I do everything I can not to stock diesels so it will be a bid in the nuts and an explanation why 

Alternatively I will say that I will offer them X price if they bring the car to my local garage and wait whilst an mot is carried out, if not, it’s Y price. 

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

I do everything I can not to stock diesels so it will be a bid in the nuts and an explanation why 

Alternatively I will say that I will offer them X price if they bring the car to my local garage and wait whilst an mot is carried out, if not, it’s Y price. 

I'm the same- won't buy them but I guess we've no choice in PX but I do hit them hard.

Good idea. I was thinking the same, or alternatively getting the customer to get a new mot at X price etc.

14 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I'm the same- won't buy them but I guess we've no choice in PX but I do hit them hard.

Good idea. I was thinking the same, or alternatively getting the customer to get a new mot at X price etc.

It will be interesting to see how diesel prices go at the block......I think over 8 year old stuff will struggle to get bids,however if up to 5 year old stuff takes a dive,it could be a good opportunity.

• Like 1

I was speaking to my mot tester yesterday, he said the law about being illegal to drive if deemed dangerous has always been there. It’s just more clearly marked on the paper now and as far as he was aware they’ll have no power to confiscate your car. All they can do is advise you don’t drive it as it’s illegal.

57 minutes ago, trade vet said:

It will be interesting to see how diesel prices go at the block......I think over 8 year old stuff will struggle to get bids,however if up to 5 year old stuff takes a dive,it could be a good opportunity.

You're right.  Some will do well out of diesel's still if they're canny.

7 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

I was speaking to my mot tester yesterday, he said the law about being illegal to drive if deemed dangerous has always been there. It’s just more clearly marked on the paper now and as far as he was aware they’ll have no power to confiscate your car. All they can do is advise you don’t drive it as it’s illegal.

It's the public perception of diesels that is the issue.  It's so confusing for them.  Had an nice old couple in today.  They wanted a cheap tax, low insurance little car.  They loved the C3 we have- were delighted by it being £20 a year tax. 

Then it all went wrong...guess why! Yup- 'Oooh, diesel...oooh no, we can't have one of them because all the tax prices are going to go up and they will fail the MOT now if smoke comes out.  And don't those 'EMF' (tried not to laugh) filters go wrong?'

Nothing I said made a difference.  They were convinced diesel was the plague.  Tried to sell them a petrol 207 but they said the tax was too high...

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pip said:

So this week I have a few MOTS booked in. What happens if any cars fail under the dangerous condition and as the new law states it cannot be driven until it's repaired? Potentially my MOTstation could have cars left outside waiting to be picked up by trailer to be taken to another garage for repair. Get a load of dangerous fails one week and then cars will be dumped all over the place surely.

why not inspect your cars before you take them for the mot

i get complete respect from my mot station because cars are fully sorted before they go

times money and if you want a discount trade mot then respect the mot mans time and not have him do an extended essay finding all the advisories categories required on the machine as he writes you out a failure chit

i left my last mot station because the man with the hat told me he was going to charge me retest fees even though its easier to spot an albatross than me get a failure chit

with regards driving a car from the mot station that flags a dangerous the law doesnt change and your insurance is invalid anyway if you did knowingly drive a car in such a condition

• Like 1

The missing undertrays and heat shields are going to be an issue for everyone.

I would imagine we are going to be getting phone calls from cars we sold 5 years ago and removed heatshields for annoying rattles.....

6 hours ago, chief runnin bee said:

why not inspect your cars before you take them for the mot

i get complete respect from my mot station because cars are fully sorted before they go

times money and if you want a discount trade mot then respect the mot mans time and not have him do an extended essay finding all the advisories categories required on the machine as he writes you out a failure chit

i left my last mot station because the man with the hat told me he was going to charge me retest fees even though its easier to spot an albatross than me get a failure chit

with regards driving a car from the mot station that flags a dangerous the law doesnt change and your insurance is invalid anyway if you did knowingly drive a car in such a condition

Spot on. I push all my work on to one garage, I don't send them endless headaches and as such I expect to be looked after. I don't expect anything illegal to be done just some common sense to be applied. It works both ways, I won't take a car in there with obvious problems and expect them to be happy when they have to write war and peace on the sheet 

I do nothing other than drop the junk to them. However I don’t argue over what they deem necessary and just look big and pay- expecting them to do whatever is necessary to achieve a no-advisory MOT. 

It did take many years to find a place I can trust to not rip me off. 

its quite simple, and i wish some of you would do your own investigations :lol:

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness 

its never changed " to and from a place of repair" NOTHINS CHANGED !

7 hours ago, trade vet said:

Can picture it now, traders running round the hall revving up the diesels and trying not to spill there tea and shouting out thatll never pass a test :D

If you are looking for a reliable MOT Testing Centre visit info@v-hubservices.co.uk and get in touch, we are always happy to help.