Sign in to follow this  
James01

May sales

4 minutes ago, BHM said:

Motorised colanders but even when finally entering the scrapyard they drove in under their own steam.

I was just a youth in the 70s but on any Sunday you’d see men working on cars outside their house doing maintenance with cars jacked-up or sheets of glass fibre trying to make the most of whatever heap of shite they owned. 

As for the winter months, for many it was a lottery whether or not their car would even start.

Now look at the ingrates! The great unwashed come here & whinge about stonechips on cars with 100K on the clock. 

So correct, they expect new cars for used car money. 

On 5/13/2018 at 7:30 AM, tradex said:

He's is sooooo right, back then any old car rotted like a bad pear, not all cars would clock 100k on the same power train, bombproof mechanically that shamed orhers into screwing cars together properly. 

To be fair, I did get 9 months out of it, which considering the abuse it suffered was incredible. And there are a few sentimental Mums and dads with their offspring who happily tell their kids how good the cherry (and any other old Datsun) was. Sadly i missed the mark ups on those!

We're ok, kinda bang in the middle really number figure wise but number *unit* wise we're down about 5, so finance reading it looks good as profits per unit are up, unit turnover wise not so much.  Nothing to go on a lavish holiday for and nothing as bad as last month, so meh.

It does 'feel' quiet though with little walk ins.  Lots of finance props again but still have around 8 from last week all accepted with good low rate prime lenders now not answering calls.  Strange people.

Picked up 7 last week from Manheim, all little cars, £6-7k, (Fabia, 3 x Aygo, Civic and a 2 x Corsa) all well under book.  Looks like the AH's and vendors have given up on their ridiculous high reserves and are now letting them come through.  Anyone having any luck at BCA?

EDIT * *

Edited by Earunder

Think everyone down my neck of the woods has seen the sun so gone to the beach, meant to be in the 20s this week

If it’s sunny they go to the beach, if it’s rainy they go to the shopping centre. What sort of weather does it have to be to get them to the car dealers? :lol:

14 minutes ago, BHM said:

If it’s sunny they go to the beach, if it’s rainy they go to the shopping centre. What sort of weather does it have to be to get them to the car dealers? :lol:

I love a dry, overcast day. Not too warm, not too cold and not bloody windy..... :D

44 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

I love a dry, overcast day. Not too warm, not too cold and not bloody windy..... :D

A bit of drizzle doesnt go amiss when they are picking a car up......

1 minute ago, Matt Reid said:

Ha, too true!!

10 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

Especially with my cars!

1 minute ago, BHM said:

Especially with my cars!

You must pray for a heavy down pour?! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

harsh but fair....

46 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Too much water and you can see the 'rainbow effect' on the ground from the 'minor' oil leak! 

Had about 7 phone calls today all after a Mini Cooper S, really brightened my day after a crap viewing yesterday of people expecting a show room condition car when I'd explained all the points to them over the phone. Some people just cant be pleased!

1 hour ago, Matt Reid said:

Love a shower just before collection.... It's nearly as good as silicone spray...... I should re-label it and call it "disappearing spray"  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Love a shower just before collection.... It's nearly as good as silicone spray...... I should re-label it and call it "disappearing spray"  :ph34r:

Gods polish in my lingo...love a nice overcast damp day for a handover. This sun lately has been a pig for all the black stock; 'this is the worst it's ever going to look' has been my trotted out line to moaners lately.

We're pretty flat on enquiries at the moment and sales have dropped off these last few days. I always moan and panic when it's like this every few months but it does feel very different this time, seems like absolutely nobody has a pound to their name this month and I don't see it improving anytime soon. Lots of people getting made redundant around here in my OH's sphere of architects, suppliers and even trades. Never a good sign.

I've noticed a lot of new private ads and auctions on eBay.

Also more private adverts in my area on AT recently

13 minutes ago, twerp said:

I've noticed a lot of new private ads and auctions on eBay.

Also more private adverts in my area on AT recently

Dont forget ebay keeps dishing out FREE listing promotions to private sellers or even sell for max of £1 on final fees.. I got rid of some stuff over the last bank holiday (taking up space in the garage) as I got a sell for only £1... So maybe is people with private accounts flogging motors for these promotional fees; just a thought..

54 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Dont forget ebay keeps dishing out FREE listing promotions to private sellers or even sell for max of £1 on final fees.. I got rid of some stuff over the last bank holiday (taking up space in the garage) as I got a sell for only £1... So maybe is people with private accounts flogging motors for these promotional fees; just a thought..

I seem to get emails most weekends on my personal ebay account with ridiculous cheap selling fees

• Like 1

Ive never known it so quiet, with only 2 sold so far it’s my worst start to a month. Both of my customers cars had blown up so they were forced to purchase. 

5 Sold - 1 refunded (my choice at deposit stage, due to gearbox fault), so nett 4 and couple more viewings imminent 

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Ive never known it so quiet, with only 2 sold so far it’s my worst start to a month. Both of my customers cars had blown up so they were forced to purchase. 

Arfur, same here, just cannot see the next sale the way it is at the moment. Got 40 in stock, even considered taking a low ball offer off a polish guy on the weekend just to get some coins in! 

I’m sure you chaps have all been here before to some degree. All of a sudden for no reason you’ll sell 6 in a week and start to panic about not having enough stock!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’m sure you chaps have all been here before to some degree. All of a sudden for no reason you’ll sell 6 in a week and start to panic about not having enough stock!

True, get despondent then things do actually pick back up