Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Mot expired

Had a nice young lady in today punting a 11 plate Corsa. Its MOT expired had yesterday. I explained to her that she's playing russian roulette and should take it seriously, apparently she's reluctant to spend the money fixing a car she no longer wants. Afterwards I wonder whether a car with a failed MOT continues to be elligible for monthly VED or does it only have to have a current MOT when the direct debit is first set up? I assume it's also a condition of her insurance that the car is MOT'd and road legal and if she's stopped by the Police they'll know this?

I’ve no idea about the road tax but I strongly suspect it’ll roll on until the annual renewal date.

As for the lack of MOT it’ll depend upon her insurance policy but I believe on some it’s certainly a case of No MOT = not covered.

I wouldn’t worry about here to be honest, if she herself can’t be arsed why should you be? Unfortunately she’s only one amongst hundreds of thousands who are prepared to drive an unroadworthy to save a few quid - I bet she won’t have the same attitude when buying!

As I recall,not having a current MOT is not an offence.However,using an unroadworthy vehicle is.

Isnt having an unroadworthy  vehicle different to not having an mot, i could for example not mot my car until next week but next week it would pass so i currently have a car that is road worthy but have a car with no mot. ? or do i need more coffee this morning. 

I would say it is fine to have a car with no mot but you would not be permitted to drive the vehicle on the road, there used to be an old excuse that your driving it to an mot station how that would wash if you got pulled in a mcds drive through at 3am i dont know.

We had this on one of our run a round cars. Didn't notice that the mot had expired and so the next monthly payment for tax didn't go through (they must check each month). First I knew was when I got back to the car with the wife and a load of shopping to find it clamped. Expensive over sight and unhappy wife.

I've had this happen to me on an old truck I had, went in for a test and failed, spent the weekend fixing it only to have it stolen on the Sunday night before it was booked in for its retest on the Monday, which turned out to be the day the tax was due to come out of my account. Insurers said it was insured because it had a failed certificate, and my tax payment did go through. 

Hope that helps

6 hours ago, Motorcare UK said:

We had this on one of our run a round cars. Didn't notice that the mot had expired and so the next monthly payment for tax didn't go through (they must check each month). 

Yeah i've heard something similar. I'm guessing that they allow you a certain amount of time before you'd have to SORN. Depends what car and what work's needed to pass? 

the law changes this month

i guess  if a car is still showing as taxed on the dvla website but the mot is out then they will automatically send the fine via those thoroughly decent chaps at capita

its been coming up in red these last few weeks when ive checked mot histories