Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Seat Altea heavy steering

Morning Chaps

Anyone help with this one? Sold a Seat Altea 1.9 TDi a few months ago 77k so not choked with miles. Customer comes in with a starting problem, i.e having to jump it all the time. Diagnosis Starter motor, replaced all good. Within in a day power steering has gone, undriveable! Loads of lights on the dash ABS, Red steering light, Traction, EML. Takes it to the local sparky who says the module in the steering motor has gone, possibly caused by jump starting it, part of the steering rack. We have replaced the complete steering rack and motor from ECP. Steering is better but no way normal. Now we have a ABS light on, diagnostic shows O/S/R sensor. Steering light still on but now orange as opposed to red. Booked in today for ABS sensor to be changed. My mechanic seems to think the ABS is linked to the steering and the ABS sensor should sort it all out? Not holding my breath. Any thoughts?    

I'll be interested in this one. We had similar with an Altea recently and sent it to the block in the end. Good luck!

F*** knows BUT I do know of someone who fixed a DSG gearbox in a Skoda - the fix was a £20 ABS sensor (after 2 other garages said the gearbox was knackered) so fingers crossed.

I’m assuming the battery has been checked for output as, in my experience, all the German stuff seems to like a battery in tip-top condition.

43 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

I'll be interested in this one. We had similar with an Altea recently and sent it to the block in the end. Good luck!

I think the OP has bought your car?

I have the steering light (amber) on Seat Leon - it did have multiple faults but all sorted except the wheel light.  Diagnosis points to a wheel angle sensor?  it is working perfectly however, but the battery needs a jump after a couple of days.

Mechanic reckons all the faults were due to a battery change and no reset afterwards.  Going to fit a new battery today and flash the system again, see what that does for the steering light.

• Like 1

All the VAG stuff you have to turn the steering wheel lock to lock to reset the angle sensor after a flat battery. 

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

All the VAG stuff you have to turn the steering wheel lock to lock to reset the angle sensor after a flat battery. 

Tried that - nothing :(

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I have the steering light (amber) on Seat Leon - it did have multiple faults but all sorted except the wheel light.  Diagnosis points to a wheel angle sensor?  it is working perfectly however, but the battery needs a jump after a couple of days.

Mechanic reckons all the faults were due to a battery change and no reset afterwards.  Going to fit a new battery today and flash the system again, see what that does for the steering light.

Quite cruel steering angle sensor faults, They changed from being part of the clock spring behind the steering wheel to being on the steering rack.

If it wont reprogram it will need replaced, is the steering wheel straight when driving straight?

3 hours ago, Stalker said:

I think the OP has bought your car?

I hope not...never could get to the bottom of what was up with ours. 

4 hours ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Customer comes in with a starting problem, i.e having to jump it all the time. Diagnosis Starter motor, replaced all good.

Jump it or BUMP it? Jumping it would more be a battery issue surely?

4 hours ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Within in a day power steering has gone, undriveable! Loads of lights on the dash ABS, Red steering light, Traction, EML. Takes it to the local sparky who says the module in the steering motor has gone, possibly caused by jump starting it, part of the steering rack. We have replaced the complete steering rack and motor from ECP. Steering is better but no way normal. Now we have a ABS light on, diagnostic shows O/S/R sensor. Steering light still on but now orange as opposed to red. Booked in today for ABS sensor to be changed. My mechanic seems to think the ABS is linked to the steering and the ABS sensor should sort it all out? Not holding my breath. Any thoughts?

This sounds more like a battery/ wiring fault? Battery voltage is very important on these upon start up.

I have had the battery replaced and all fault codes reset (completely clear).  Parked up for 5 mins and the amber steering light is back on.  There is nothing wrong with the steering but it is saying steering angle sensor.  I think you have to replace the whole rack for the sake of the sensor???

It drives stright and true, wheel is in the central position, steering is super light (as it should be), it's just the light.

18 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I have had the battery replaced and all fault codes reset (completely clear).  Parked up for 5 mins and the amber steering light is back on.  There is nothing wrong with the steering but it is saying steering angle sensor.  I think you have to replace the whole rack for the sake of the sensor???

It drives stright and true, wheel is in the central position, steering is super light (as it should be), it's just the light.

What year is it? It should be behind the steering wheel (Airbag clock spring style)

"57" plate

My mechanic had a quick look and said he had found it on the rack itself.  He hasn't had a proper look yet though.

31 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Now we have a ABS light on, diagnostic shows O/S/R sensor. Steering light still on but now orange as opposed to red. Booked in today for ABS sensor to be changed. My mechanic seems to think the ABS is linked to the steering and the ABS sensor should sort it all out? Not holding my breath. Any thoughts?

Also, the steering wont recalibrate if there is a faulty speed sensor, sounds stupid but trust me, you will need to fix that first.

Sure the steering angle sensor doesn't just need calibrating ?

Audi A4 B6 needed a alarming swerve at speed to reset 

26 minutes ago, twerp said:

Audi A4 B6 needed a alarming swerve at speed to reset 

I will let my wife drive it for a couple of days - it'll be more than reset :lol:

***** UPDATE *****

Collected the car yesterday and all good no lights car drives perfect. £25 for ABS sensor and £30 labour. He re-calibrated the angle sensor and cleared the faults which he says you can't do if there is any ABS issues......Anyway happy customer again......You always learn something new in this game :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

***** UPDATE *****

Collected the car yesterday and all good no lights car drives perfect. £25 for ABS sensor and £30 labour. He re-calibrated the angle sensor and cleared the faults which he says you can't do if there is any ABS issues......Anyway happy customer again......You always learn something new in this game :)

Result  :)