Sign in to follow this  
twerp

New LUK DMF failing after 6k miles ??

Why would a new genuine LUK DMF be vibrating after 3 months ?  (Sourced from Euro Car Parts)

On a 320D

Poor fitment ? Clutch release bearing ?

Cheers

Did you fit a new clutch kit and bearing along with the DMF ?

I didn't fit it but have the receipts for the DMF and fitment, no idea about the clutch and bearing although engagement seems correct with no slip.

Edited by twerp

Dual mass flywheels are designed to absorb torsional vibrations through the crankshaft. 

Depending on how much torsional vibrations (severity)  they can fail sooner if there is a fault elsewhere causing excessive torsional vibrations (injector fault, misfire, etc).

However we had a Mercedes that had one fail within 1000 miles. No real running faults.  I guess sometimes they can fail? 

We had a 1 year old mondeo with 4,000 miles completely fail and ford kicked it out claiming it had been abused!

Speak to the garage, Euro pay labour if it needs replaced.

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Dual mass flywheels are designed to absorb torsional vibrations through the crankshaft. 

Depending on how much torsional vibrations (severity)  they can fail sooner if there is a fault elsewhere causing excessive torsional vibrations (injector fault, misfire, etc).

However we had a Mercedes that had one fail within 1000 miles. No real running faults.  I guess sometimes they can fail? 

We had a 1 year old mondeo with 4,000 miles completely fail and ford kicked it out claiming it had been abused!

Speak to the garage, Euro pay labour if it needs replaced.

Thanks for that - appreciated

‘My’ mechanic has had a couple of LUK failures over the last 6 months.

i dont buy anything mechanical from euro i know that andrew page are now owned by them but i trust pages to sort a problem out if it happens and never recall a luk clutch problem