Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Is Manheim worth it?

Hi all,

I normally buy cars from BCA, but just keep getting outbid on most decent cars that don't need an arm and a legs worth of pre sale work doing to them.

Is Manheim worth the application fee? Or is it just another BCA scenario?

Thanks

personally, its pretty much the same as BCA for me. For every 10 I buy at BCA i buy 1 from Manheim but it gives you more options so definitely worth it

Bid weekenders aren't too bad as you can get some deals if quick. Ive had a few quality issues especially with Manheim Colchester and the surecheck is worse than BCA assured as its covered by Autoprotect who IMO are rubbish

It's not much different I've found, but I do get the odd few off there.  We get a deal with them as we subscribe to Motors and it's the same company-Cox Automotive

I've had some bargains out of buy it nows and in the hall but otherwise very similar. 

I have accounts with both BCA and Manheim, the only difference is the logo. They are both much of a muchness.

What is the deal with buy it nows? Aren't they just the old shitters that didn't sell in the week?

Whether you do BCA or Manheim or any of the others,there is always plenty of stock about.If you are not an online buyer,you have to ‘get on your bike’ to get the stuff you want.It always amazes me when traders just rely on their local block and constantly complain.We used to drive late at night up and down the country every week to get the right stuff.Buying is a lot easier now than it was.

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Whether you do BCA or Manheim or any of the others,there is always plenty of stock about.If you are not an online buyer,you have to ‘get on your bike’ to get the stuff you want.It always amazes me when traders just rely on their local block and constantly complain.We used to drive late at night up and down the country every week to get the right stuff.Buying is a lot easier now than it was.

Great point, I only really ever go to the Peterborough site out of ease, guess I'm spreading my wings to Bedford and Nottingham now! 

26 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Great point, I only really ever go to the Peterborough site out of ease, guess I'm spreading my wings to Bedford and Nottingham now! 

Probably the worst auction I've been to

Always crap online too

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

If you are in the Midlands you are fortunate to have a huge choice within 2 hours drive.We never got many from Peterborough.While not knowing what you sell,if it is older stuff for instance,as long as you have a good paintshop and workshop etc.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey360 said:

I agree with tradevet, the Midlands is the 'sweet spot'. Between Manheim and BCA there is a huge choice.

2 hours ago, met said:

I agree with tradevet, the Midlands is the 'sweet spot'. Between Manheim and BCA there is a huge choice.

I'm based in Corby so there are some great public transport links to all the surrounding auctions, looks like I'll be spending alot more time on trains and buses

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

If you are in the Midlands you are fortunate to have a huge choice within 2 hours drive.We never got many from Peterborough.While not knowing what you sell,if it is older stuff for instance,as long as you have a good paintshop and workshop etc.....

Normally deal in the 2-5k cars at the moment, seem to be plenty there but just get priced out of any reasonable profit. Always happy to get my hands dirty fixing mechanical issues but body work is beyond me

30 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

I'm based in Corby so there are some great public transport links to all the surrounding auctions, looks like I'll be spending alot more time on trains and buses

Normally deal in the 2-5k cars at the moment, seem to be plenty there but just get priced out of any reasonable profit. Always happy to get my hands dirty fixing mechanical issues but body work is beyond me

Mikey.......I would check out West Oxford ,they have good cheaper stuff from good vendors,if you cannot buy there,I would do something else.2 night sales per week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, met said:

What is the deal with buy it nows? Aren't they just the old shitters that didn't sell in the week?

Not necessarily with manheim the ones I bought the staff said hadn't been through yet. Some have, some haven't. 

We were in the same boat, usually bought from BCA and not many other places.

Went and spoke to the accounts manager at our local Manheim and told them we buy 'X' amount per year from BCA and want more options. The account manager wavered the sign up fee, and put us straight up to the equivalent membership level we were on at BCA (had to show them the BCA card to prove that we were on that level - understandable)

Worth either popping in or giving them a call!

2 minutes ago, D&M said:

We were in the same boat, usually bought from BCA and not many other places.

Went and spoke to the accounts manager at our local Manheim and told them we buy 'X' amount per year from BCA and want more options. The account manager wavered the sign up fee, and put us straight up to the equivalent membership level we were on at BCA (had to show them the BCA card to prove that we were on that level - understandable)

Worth either popping in or giving them a call!

Might just give that a try, thanks for the advice

20 hours ago, met said:

I have accounts with both BCA and Manheim, the only difference is the logo. They are both much of a muchness.

Or Fiat 500's.

A lot of BCA’s stock comes from their own source (I.e. WBAC) which i’m reluctant to buy from for obvious reasons. 

Where does Manheim stock come from mainly? Main dealers/franchises?

I avoid BCA UKCGR Trade and Multi-Vendor lots but UKCGR Select and Premium seem to be ok for me.

Other than that, I find BCA and Manheim to be the same set up, main dealer, smaller franchisees and larger independent lots - nothing between the two for me although I prefer BCA simply for their locations local to me (Midlands)