Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Steaming seats?

Is steam cleaning still the only way to clean a really bad/dirty smelly interior? I've started hearing stories about weakening upholstery adhesives and/or affecting fancy electronic gadgets?

39 minutes ago, met said:

Is steam cleaning still the only way to clean a really bad/dirty smelly interior? I've started hearing stories about weakening upholstery adhesives and/or affecting fancy electronic gadgets?

I know guys who ‘prep for England’,they routinely take out the seats and carpets and jet wash them.They don’t have much stock,but they charge and get big money for it.I recall when ECU’s were under seats,if you flooded them you had to take them off and leave them to dry on a radiator for at least a week.

Every car is different so each one has to be assessed prior to work

i have used neat thinners on a cloth to remove nicotine on plastic trims

neat thinners on stubborn car seat marks

taken interiors out in the summer and tfr or g101 then cold power cleansed them

i even use the poundland upholstery cleaner if i ever bob their shop in but cant remember how much these are

for upholstery the worse thing is where the car has had something like scotchguard previously introduced to the material as then the valeter doesn't get down deep

steam cleaning is borderline not doable just like using it underbonnet,those days are gone unless you want problems in the future with electrical gremlins once its dried out and the green starts on connectors

cant stand cars where the interiors wet the windows for days and then the musk smell begins

talking of which you can now buy these........http://www.poundland.co.uk/damp-traps-2-pack...smell nice too

I have just taken delivery of (and I mean 10 mins ago) an Ozone Generator - Google it and read the reviews.

Highly toxic so beware, area has to be ventilated for hours after completion but no more smells (pets, tobacco and the like).

Worth a try I thought - haven't taken out the box yet so cannot review.

11 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I have just taken delivery of (and I mean 10 mins ago) an Ozone Generator - Google it and read the reviews.

Highly toxic so beware, area has to be ventilated for hours after completion but no more smells (pets, tobacco and the like).

Worth a try I thought - haven't taken out the box yet so cannot review.

Sounds promising. However,if you are buying online ( especially Motability ),I can guarantee you will buy stuff where you will find it impossible to get rid of the smell. With BCA it does not form part of the description,so you just have to replace the trim.

the tornado [ see other posts] blows the smell out, seriously, tobacco stained headlinings for example, doesnt leave it wet, you cant get modern cars wet, you'll kill it. chemicals, where would we be without chemicals, you would be putting peanut spread on instead of tyreblack :ph34r::lol:

13 hours ago, trade vet said:

Sounds promising. However,if you are buying online ( especially Motability ),I can guarantee you will buy stuff where you will find it impossible to get rid of the smell. With BCA it does not form part of the description,so you just have to replace the trim.

It beggars belief in this day and age that odours do not form part of their description. I get that they can be a bit of  grey area but surely when something stinks to high heaven it could be mentioned.

Ozone generators, I quite enjoy breathing so I'll be giving them a miss.

13 minutes ago, tradex said:

Save your money.

For faggy and piss 'n biscuit cars, you can use any fancy thing you want, 03 units, BBQ brickettes under the seats, apple cores, smoke bombs, but the only sure way to remove odours is to deep clean every interior surface, sometimes twice, sometimes thrice. It's bloody hard and very nasty work, hence why we avoid mingers.

The smell is given off by what ever is present, you need to remove it, not mask it. 

O3 (ozone) is actually very reactive (oxidation) and very damaging to the lungs, eyes and nasal tracts, but I'm sure those units wouldn't generate enough 03 if driven off a 13 amp source to worry, takes an awful lot of power and 02 (oxygen) to make O3. 

It's a long shot but having trawled various pages looking for a "Kim and Aggie" type solution, this kept popping up.

Having read all the many positive and the few negative reviews (apt, as per other post regarding reviews) advertising a unit at £90, I thought shall I take a gamble - then I found it advertised on Amazon for £59 delivered (Prime) and thought, let's give it ago.

Anyway, car should be out of bodyshop (bumper and door car park dinks) on Wednesday and ready for the valeters to attack the new paint with their TFR.  I will see how "clean" they can get the interior and then give this gizmo a blast (taking lots of precautions as per the many health warnings).

Here it is, next to Quentin!

IMG_0466.jpg

4 minutes ago, tradex said:

:D don't those two use lemon juice and bleach on everything. 

Good luckB)

Exactly or baking soda in the mix!

I was looking for something like that to be honest, simple and effective.

Their lemon in a bowl of water in the microwave works a treat.

Edited by Mark101
Typo

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

It's a long shot but having trawled various pages looking for a "Kim and Aggie" type solution, this kept popping up.

Having read all the many positive and the few negative reviews (apt, as per other post regarding reviews) advertising a unit at £90, I thought shall I take a gamble - then I found it advertised on Amazon for £59 delivered (Prime) and thought, let's give it ago.

Anyway, car should be out of bodyshop (bumper and door car park dinks) on Wednesday and ready for the valeters to attack the new paint with their TFR.  I will see how "clean" they can get the interior and then give this gizmo a blast (taking lots of precautions as per the many health warnings).

Here it is, next to Quentin!

IMG_0466.jpg

I like your lamp. I’ll swap you a knackered mondeo for it. 

2 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I actually sold it yesterday to some very sensible and realistic Romanian lads so i’m shot of it thankfully. I do like that lamp however, looks more classy than £23 

If only I could be classy cars for sensible money..................

Them ozone machines work fantastically. I’ve had one for about 6 months & they blitz out an interior, really smelly will need 4 hours worth & remember to ventilate (open the doors & boot) the car for hours afterwards otherwise the interior will stink of ozone.

54 minutes ago, BHM said:

Them ozone machines work fantastically. I’ve had one for about 6 months & they blitz out an interior, really smelly will need 4 hours worth & remember to ventilate (open the doors & boot) the car for hours afterwards otherwise the interior will stink of ozone.

Cheers BHM

I will give it a go this week 

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Cheers BHM

I will give it a go this week 

You’re welcome. There’ll still be a slight ozone/chlorine smell but it’ll be better than the original stink you’re trying to eliminate. Just try 2 hours first cos 4 hours on a real stinker does leave the car smelling like a swimming pool :D

I will have to tell them I've just come from the gym - mind you, if they saw me they'd know that was a lie - my favorite gym machine serves crisps and chocolate.

20 minutes ago, ik1980 said:

Denim works better.

Lynx?