Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Unusual Scenario

I’ve just picked up a nice clean A3 Black Ed, and there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever it’s had a remap done. I’ve driven my fair share of hot hatches and M cars to know a 2.0 TFSI doesn’t drive this fast. It’s also had an aftermarket back box put on which sounds a bit droney at high speeds so not my thing but it will float plenty of boats. 

Question is, how should I advertise this “feature”? 

Clearly I can’t say it’s been remapped and now puts out xyz BHP as i’m sure some anal fucker will demand proof or worse trading standards will have an easy target on my back. Should I make no mention of it and tell the customer over the phone?

18 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’ve just picked up a nice clean A3 Black Ed, and there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever it’s had a remap done. I’ve driven my fair share of hot hatches and M cars to know a 2.0 TFSI doesn’t drive this fast. It’s also had an aftermarket back box put on which sounds a bit droney at high speeds so not my thing but it will float plenty of boats. 

Question is, how should I advertise this “feature”? 

Clearly I can’t say it’s been remapped and now puts out xyz BHP as i’m sure some anal fucker will demand proof or worse trading standards will have an easy target on my back. Should I make no mention of it and tell the customer over the phone?

I would say nowt....otherwise you will attract headbangers.

• Like 2

Why not swap it back to an OEM back box and sell the chav one. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrC said:

Why not swap it back to an OEM back box and sell the chav one. 

Quite frankly because I can’t be arsed. 

What brand is the back box?

If it's something of a quality brand like remus mention it as a 'quality upgrade' by the previous owner. Make no mention of remap and then you are covering yourself if performance is noticed and can be attributed to exhaust 'upgrade'.

If you don't mention the exhaust it could end up costing you the sale when a punter notices it as he is having a walk around and by you not mentioning it they could perhaps raise more questions you don't want to have to find an answer for!

If it's just cheap crap get yourself on eBay to find the original one being sold by the previous owner of the A3! The car is to expensive to undersell imho.

I had a mapped A3 tdi last year , I was amazed at the power ...but too brutal , in the end I got it mapped back to standard for about £100 if I remember . Money well spent in my experience 

Say nowt. 

Mention of “remap” will attract the penniless nutters (you’ll get enough of those anyway on an Audi) and scares away the genuine punters who think it’ll be abused & worry themselves to death over insurance.

I’ve always found that anything non-standard kills a car.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I'm putting it through a fresh MOT at the weekend so will get the garage to take a look at what sort of back box it is and whether it's worth messing around changing it over.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’ve always found that anything non-standard kills a car.

Yes, same here

1 minute ago, andymc1973 said:

Bet the dpf is missing 

It’s a petrol