Sign in to follow this  
SuperLease

Supermarket diesel

14 hours ago, tradex said:

The 'n great Mel Smith.

Spot them old cars guys, in the words of a certain painting, singing, musician swimming, felon "do you know what it is yet"?

Morris Oxford Countryman and was it an Opel Ascona...?

Seeing Mel Smith reminds me of ‘fast flow nozelles’.Before service stations became self service,our petrol company Cleveland ( anyone remember them)had this bright idea to increase pump sales.I think there was a big advertising campaign before the nationwide launch.The driver would order 4 gallons and the attendant would set the pump and click on the nozzle to deliver the fuel ,then collect the money and ring it in and return with the receipt. What happened next,the car drives off and the hose and nozzle are ripped off ,damaging the car and putting the pump out of action.We had 4 pumps and one day by the afternoon,we only had one working.A few weeks later the sales initiative was abandoned because the attendants could not adapt to the new nozzelles.

9 hours ago, trade vet said:

Seeing Mel Smith reminds me of ‘fast flow nozelles’.Before service stations became self service,our petrol company Cleveland ( anyone remember them)had this bright idea to increase pump sales.I think there was a big advertising campaign before the nationwide launch.The driver would order 4 gallons and the attendant would set the pump and click on the nozzle to deliver the fuel ,then collect the money and ring it in and return with the receipt. What happened next,the car drives off and the hose and nozzle are ripped off ,damaging the car and putting the pump out of action.We had 4 pumps and one day by the afternoon,we only had one working.A few weeks later the sales initiative was abandoned because the attendants could not adapt to the new nozzelles.

I remember the big lever on the pump to change between 3-5 stars, no diesel at the pumps though. You'd have to go and queue up with the HGV's for that over the back.:)

2 hours ago, tradex said:

Cleaveland....blue white 'n red signs? I know the name, I'm sure I saw a sign near the Scots border at an old run down little garage, that saved my bacon a couple of years ago when running on fumes. Obviously hadn't been Cleaveland for yonks though:D

Ascona? Red car to the left of the A60? Possibly a Datsun, Colt, Toyota of some flavour we thought? 

Very period colour XJS passes by. 

Hi Tradex...Yes it is an A60 Countryman ,the Morris Oxford Traveller was 2 tone.I had forgotten that,so I just checked.There weren’t many lemon XJS’s,did you see the Renault 16 going buy. Maybe it is not an Opel ,what about a Renault 15?........I can sense the other guys reaction to this stuff....The thing is,back then,we were earning more than international footballers and it was normal for traders to have a grand in readies on them at any time......enough ...enough

23 hours ago, trade vet said:

The thing is,back then,we were earning more than international footballers and it was normal for traders to have a grand in readies on them at any time......enough ...enough

But this generation has a plastic "credit" card! With far more than a grand at their disposal......

13 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

Thats a Datsun 100A i reckon.

I think it is too big for a Cherry......100a Cherry weren’t they good,crap bodywork but ran forever..

10 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

duckhams tin in the sill with plenty of black :lol:

That’s right...A friend of mine had a small workshop and employed 2 people ( bodgers) he used to get all the rough Cherry’s from the local AFG ( remember them)then resurrect them and  flog them from the door at night.One of his bodgers was a clever articulate guy ( just wired up wrong), he designed made to measure door bottom and sill covers which were just tacked on over the gaping holes.They would have had a big bodge and under seal bill and they must have used more newspaper than a fish and chip shop.

2 minutes ago, trade vet said:

That’s right...A friend of mine had a small workshop and employed 2 people ( bodgers) he used to get all the rough Cherry’s from the local AFG ( remember them)then resurrect them and  flog them from the door at night.One of his bodgers was a clever articulate guy ( just wired up wrong), he designed made to measure door bottom and sill covers which were just tacked on over the gaping holes.They would have had a big bodge and under seal bill and they must have used more newspaper than a fish and chip shop.

a old mot tester once told me some things he came across, a fairy liquid bottle pushed in to a chassis and blacked over, the finger and thumb test made it whistle :lol:

and a hospital worker that used plaster of paris on a sill :D