Sign in to follow this  
Dan W

No Shows & No Contact

Just wanted peoples views on how you would speak to the customer after they haven't shown to their appointment or let you know they couldn't make it.

recently had a few no shows and when I have rang them to see where they are... getting the usual oh sorry we forget we couldn't make it or we changed our mind. when actually asked well why didn't you have the courtesy to let me know you couldn't make it or changed your mind, they basically seem to be offended at how I would even ask them haha. how do you guys follow up no shows or do some not bother ?

Just feel if they haven't got the courtesy to let me know I have every right to ask them and demand to know why they couldn't let me know

Spot on to be honest mate. It's rudeness through and through. The more they go unchecked the more they feel it acceptable to carry on. 

When someone is 15 minutes late I call them to ask them how they are getting on. If they're on their way I say "oh, it's just we said 2pm, that's all". If I can't wait around I will reschedule them not my plans. If they say they're no longer coming, which is rare because most won't answer, I will tell them the same as you; that it would have been courteous to have let me know. The one's that get stroppy just feel like because they're a 'customer' they need some red carpet. My view is that I'm a trader, I own these goods and I define my service levels and parameters of who I deal with. I may not want to sell MY car to them. I'm not Argos or John Lewis' customer relations department. My manager isn't going to slap my wrist for picking them up on their defects. Respect both ways.

I've found the more we're on the ball with customers the less frustration I feel and the more they value the fact you're a professional outfit. Not all of them mind, some are just pillocks :lol:

Fair play to you guys chasing them up. We get loads of flaky no show bookings for test drives but having a forecourt is a bit like that IMO. Rarely do I chase them up though unless it's something i'm desperate to shift, I probably should.

Early days for me and it’s yet to happen. I always say to the customer that I will give them a call 1 hour before the scheduled appointment to confirm their arrival. Seems to keep people honest so far. 

• Like 1

I personally have absolutely no tolerance for “no shows”. It is the main reason why I only appoint confirmed buyers. I reassure the “client” :P  the deposit is fully refundable on collection if they disagree with my video. It calls their bluff before they try to waste my time.

• Like 2

Due to the amount of no shows last year I never go out of my way for customers anymore. They can work around me, if I’m not around then tough, they can wait until I’m back.

That big black hole they all seam to fall into and never be seen again on the way here must be bigger than I thought.

14 hours ago, tradex said:

Waiting on late customers,

...something that sorts the veterans from the freshers in this game.B)

...but we still do it once in a while, if only to relearn the lesson.;)

Haha too true. I don’t do viewings on a Sunday but twice a year I relent & twice a year I soon get reminded why I don’t deal with Sunday tyrekickers.

I rarely get “no shows” because, say if someone phoned this morning & then said they wanted to see a car this afternoon, I would tell them to phone me when they are ready to set off to check the car is still available.

It works for me because in this game I soon learned that “I’ll come & see it later” means absolutely sweet f.a. - unfortunately common courtesy for your fellow man is distinctly uncommon nowadays. Tbh if I changed career I would NOT do anything involving contact with the general public.

• Like 1

I had one ring on Friday to say he coming to look at a Fiesta "in an hour",,,,,, he didn't show...... no hardship I sold it Saturday, same man rang again yesterday, I didn't tell him it was sold and he said he would come to look at it "in an hour" surprisingly he actually turned up and was pissed off when I told him I had just sold it,, he said "you knew I was on my way to buy it", I said just like you were on your way Friday and didnt show ;-)))

29 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

I had one ring on Friday to say he coming to look at a Fiesta "in an hour",,,,,, he didn't show...... no hardship I sold it Saturday, same man rang again yesterday, I didn't tell him it was sold and he said he would come to look at it "in an hour" surprisingly he actually turned up and was pissed off when I told him I had just sold it,, he said "you knew I was on my way to buy it", I said just like you were on your way Friday and didnt show ;-)))

Revenge love it !!

I had a guy ring last Tuesday, making an appointment to come and view a car this wednesday!! I'm not holding my breath.......

The one's that really boil my piss, are the ones where you've exchanged a few pleasant emails back and forwards, they seem really polite and articulate, then don't turn up and don't bother to let you know!! The ones where they ring up and say I'll come later, you have expect them not to show up, but it's the ones you feel like you've built a bit of trust / rapport with, that drop you like a brick really p*ss me right off!!

Had one the other week, woman emails Friday early evening (so not your typical late night enquiry after one too many vino's!), politely enquiring about our Fiesta, asking if it's still available and can she come and view if first thing the following morning. Couple of polite emails go back and forth, she finished by saying, "great, looking forward to seeing you in the morning....", but never hear from her again...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Out of interest what percentage of no shows do you guys all get?

I'd say we're on about 30% - 40% of people not showing when they have asked for a viewing or test drive on a given day. Doesn't make any difference to me really, cars are all sitting out on the forecourt ready and we never ever stay late or open on Sundays, learnt that lesson a long time ago.

Be interested to hear how many you guys get

2 minutes ago, tradex said:

Chatting with my partner, I reckon it's a small minority of 'no shows', so maybe we feel it more when we do get a messer.

Pushed to say, well I reckon 10-20%....but we get runs of it, usually when quiet, again so gets noticed.

We do always ask for a viewing time written in the diary, insist the customer calls before traveling and ask if the car is to be taken today or a deposit left and how will payment be made, should they wish to purchase.....maybe this concentrates the mind?

Yer you do a lot more than us tbh. I'm just a name, number and don't forget to bring your license with you. I might start testing the water with some of that

9 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Yer you do a lot more than us tbh. I'm just a name, number and don't forget to bring your license with you. I might start testing the water with some of that

Definitely as above, a call before they are leaving to make sure it’s not sold, text when they are 20 mins away etc. Does seem to work for me albeit a small sample size to work from currently! 

• Like 1

how it works they will get a list of say 5 or 6 cars they going to look at, ring them up to say they coming but end up buying first one and cant be arsed ringing other to cancel cus.

3 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I had a guy ring last Tuesday, making an appointment to come and view a car this wednesday!! I'm not holding my breath.......

The one's that really boil my piss, are the ones where you've exchanged a few pleasant emails back and forwards, they seem really polite and articulate, then don't turn up and don't bother to let you know!! The ones where they ring up and say I'll come later, you have expect them not to show up, but it's the ones you feel like you've built a bit of trust / rapport with, that drop you like a brick really p*ss me right off!!

Had one the other week, woman emails Friday early evening (so not your typical late night enquiry after one too many vino's!), politely enquiring about our Fiesta, asking if it's still available and can she come and view if first thing the following morning. Couple of polite emails go back and forth, she finished by saying, "great, looking forward to seeing you in the morning....", but never hear from her again...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OCS, I find the ones that book that far ahead tend to turn up, good luck with it, let us know!

What about ringing up at 10 past 8 on Monday. 

Hi calling about the Q5 you have for sale is it still available? Asks a load of usual questions. Thats great when do you want to come out I will make sure everything is ready. Oh it will be Saturday - Why are you ringing now then :lol:

3 hours ago, whitestone679231 said:

how it works they will get a list of say 5 or 6 cars they going to look at, ring them up to say they coming but end up buying first one and cant be arsed ringing other to cancel cus.

If someone says to me that they have other cars to look at, we'll see you after we have seen xyz I tell them to do their shopping around and when they are ready to buy a car, to ring me. I may sound blunt to some people but I really don't want to deal with Mr and Mrs "I'm still deciding between a new or a used car" I just want to deal with people who know what they want and just want to buy a car and not fuck around testing dozens out.

oh the sweet irony.

so yesterdays appointment who didn't show or ring to let me know he wasn't coming he just rolled up.... car he was on was sold at 10.00 this morning.

Soon as he walks in my face lights up and I tell him sorry its sold now... he says crap I really wanted it... I reply you wanted it so much you didn't show up ? all you needed to do was ring me up and say sorry couldn't make it today but you didn't so its sold. thank you take care. oh joy loved it

4 hours ago, EPV said:

If someone says to me that they have other cars to look at, we'll see you after we have seen xyz I tell them to do their shopping around and when they are ready to buy a car, to ring me. I may sound blunt to some people but I really don't want to deal with Mr and Mrs "I'm still deciding between a new or a used car" I just want to deal with people who know what they want and just want to buy a car and not fuck around testing dozens out.

+1. It may be blunt but that works for me because I really do not have the patience to deal with indecisive punters.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:45 PM, tradex said:

6 minutes ago, BHM said:

+1. It may be blunt but that works for me because I really do not have the patience to deal with indecisive punters.

+2 Confirmed buyers only........

• Like 1