Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Diesels

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/02/05/new-car-sales-down-as-demand-for-diesel-vehicles-falls-amid-poli/

Mike Hawes, SMMT chief executive

"The ongoing and substantial decline in new diesel car registrations is concerning, particularly since the evidence indicates consumers and businesses are not switching into alternative technologies, but keeping their older cars running. "Given fleet renewal is the fastest way to improve air quality and reduce CO2, we need government policy to encourage take-up of the latest advanced low emission diesels as, for many drivers, they remain the right choice economically and environmentally."

Interesting times ahead for diesels in the 'used' market?

Used diesel cars will go up in price, there is still a strong demand for Fuel Efficient cars.

Petrol 1.0 turbocharged = 35mpg

or

1.6 TDI = 65+mpg

9 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Used diesel cars will go up in price, there is still a strong demand for Fuel Efficient cars.

or

1.6 TDI = 65+mpg

Yes, but when has common sense ever had anything to do with a government policy decision? Ministers only know less than the people paid to advise them!

1 minute ago, met said:

Yes, but when has common sense ever had anything to do with a government policy decision? Ministers only know less than the people paid to advise them!

I'm talking about the customers.... nearly ALL of our customers have more common sense that a Minister!

ps. please note the nearly bit before i get flamed alive.

Government ministers that travel around in diesel cars and diesel trains, and have everything they buy delivered in diesel lorries... etc.

However, there are plenty of people who’ve had a few diesel repair bills (usually £500 OR £1000 OR write off the car) and wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole. 

26 minutes ago, Stalker said:

or

1.6 TDI = 65+mpg

With respect, what planet are these figures from? I’ve never got anywhere near 65mpg out of a diesel but if someone drives that slowly they’d get more than 35mpg out of a petrol. Comparisons claiming nearly double MPG for diesels over petrol are, quite frankly, complete & utter bollocks. No offence intended.

2 hours ago, Stalker said:

I'm talking about the customers.... nearly ALL of our customers have more common sense that a Minister!

ps. please note the nearly bit before i get flamed alive.

Government ministers that travel around in diesel cars and diesel trains, and have everything they buy delivered in diesel lorries... etc.

Yes I agree.

I rarely punt a diesel, but I'd be an idiot to ignore what's going on in that area now

I think that they'll make a case for HGV's and trains to continue as diesel but private vehicles are going to have take the hit. I'm old enough to remember a time when there were no diesel cars, maybe we'll end up back there, who knows?

Edited by met

Just keep slagging off diesels all you South East Guys.It might help to bring prices down for the rest of us who operate where punters prefer diesels because the traffic flows and roads are not constantly gridlocked....

27 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Just keep slagging off diesels all you South East Guys.It might help to bring prices down for the rest of us who operate where punters prefer diesels because the traffic flows and roads are not constantly gridlocked....

16 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I current have 26 cars and 6 are petrol, I haven't noticed a drop off of diesels. 

To be fair this thread is about how new cars buyers are moving away from diesel and its subsequent trickle down to us used car dealers. It's the punters that will decide about diesels one way or the other, but its still early days?

5 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I current have 26 cars and 6 are petrol, I haven't noticed a drop off of diesels. 

Same here. Diesels may have tailed off slightly but it is very slight.

14 hours ago, trade vet said:

Indeed. Same up here in God's country. Sadly going by what's happening at the block, used diesels are in more demand than ever. Could really do with the Daily Express printing some more front page bollox to be honest.

Weird. Here in the south I’m really struggling with them. Especially 5-10k 

Have been for 18 months. 

I too think they’ll bounce back and be a bargain for any punter not stupid enough to worry about it. 

If the bad publicity starts putting buyers off it doesn't matter where you live. They won't sell South, North, East or West?

11 minutes ago, met said:

If the bad publicity starts putting buyers off it doesn't matter where you live. They won't sell South, North, East or West?

I think everyone should stop buying diesels in the Auctions... especially in the south.

:D

I'm rubbing my hands together........

34 minutes ago, met said:

Not necessarily Met,if you permit me to harp back to the past (again),Rover made the Princess or Wedge as it was known,it was slated in the tabloids and sales of new ones collapsed.They had fields full of them,so they were given to staff and probably hire companies who did a few thousand miles in them,then sold off in the block at 6 months old.The thing is,although they were shite to drive,the punters loved them because they could get a 6 month old one for 40% off the list price and they could impress the neighbours.

14 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Not necessarily Met,if you permit me to harp back to the past (again),Rover made the Princess or Wedge as it was known,it was slated in the tabloids and sales of new ones collapsed.They had fields full of them,so they were given to staff and probably hire companies who did a few thousand miles in them,then sold off in the block at 6 months old.The thing is,although they were shite to drive,the punters loved them because they could get a 6 month old one for 40% off the list price and they could impress the neighbours.

ah yes the austin princess

i remember the advert for it

get yourself into a princess......................charlie did:lol:

3 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Weird. Here in the south I’m really struggling with them. Especially 5-10k 

Have been for 18 months. 

I too think they’ll bounce back and be a bargain for any punter not stupid enough to worry about it. 

Same. We're Brighton way and whilst we do still knock out diesels most people are quite anti them.

Frankly they don't make any sense here anyway, constant traffic, no open roads and most work commutes are quite slow and short. Even I had to switch over to petrol because of the traffic. 

For us the local anti diesel stance isn't a bad thing because our buyers are starting to learn that if you use one for 5 minute journeys you'll clog it and kill it...saves trying to explain how to do a regen to a month old punter.

I'd imagine they'll do well in more rural areas still.

Can't see new diesel sales dropping off for much longer IMO...fleet buyers know diesel is the cheapest per mile to run and there isn't an electric replacement for mass fleets yet.

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Although the tabloids weren't telling readers that buying a Princess would kill the planet? The power of the government publicity machine press!

But, I understand the point you are trying to make

Edited by met

18 hours ago, met said:

Although the tabloids weren't telling readers that buying a Princess would kill the planet? The power of the government publicity machine press!

But, I understand the point you are trying to make

I think it was the hydrolastic suspension that collapsed and drive shaft problems on new Wedges that was the problem.But that did not put the second hand punters off because they could have a 6 month old one for £5 per week.I recall doing 5 one Monday during a heavy  snow storm ( past glories again).As for harming the planet ,most of the punters then worked in heavy industry,down the pits,shipyards,chemical industry,breathing in all sorts of toxic stuff,they would not be interested in saving the planet.