Sign in to follow this  
SuperLease

Sneaky car buyer tactics?

So I get a call on a car on Friday afternoon that up to this point I had had little interest in. Nice chap asks all the right questions, asks about the price and arranges an appointment for Sunday. All good no issues.

Saturday I get two more telephone calls on the same car but different punters. This time complete and utter space cadets all the usual BS and then ridiculous bids.

Guy is due to arrive 2pm on Sunday, get a text off him to confirm he is still coming all good. Then I recieve two further calls similar to Saturday loads of nonsense and crazy offers. 

Guy turn up just before 2 goes for a test drive comes back happy but then starts haggling despite agreeing the price on Firday. He then starts to labour on about timewasters and how can I be bothered to deal with messers when he is here to buy the car. Anyway I do end up doing it for a slightly better price and he buys it. It was only afterwards I started to wonder was it all a ploy to get me to discount the car?

Maybe I am just being paranoid or as anyone else experienced anyhting similar?  

I wouldn’t worry about it if you’re happy with the deal. Your first profit is always the best profit and all,that. 

Get it all time, usual one is whats your best price,, after half hour negotiating price punter buggers off to think about it, following day you get another punter of similar ethnicity who's offer is always below one you negotiated with separate punter day before..... u do think are they related....

Wouldn't worry about tactics as at the end of the day if you get back what you're looking for then that's all that matters.  Sure I've let cars go a little cheaper than I would normally but don't beat yourself up about it.  At the end of the day if you turn a nice profit in a short time it's a winner.  Anything and everything else is just a bonus.

8 hours ago, SuperLease said:

So I get a call on a car on Friday afternoon that up to this point I had had little interest in. Nice chap asks all the right questions, asks about the price and arranges an appointment for Sunday. All good no issues.

Saturday I get two more telephone calls on the same car but different punters. This time complete and utter space cadets all the usual BS and then ridiculous bids.

Guy is due to arrive 2pm on Sunday, get a text off him to confirm he is still coming all good. Then I recieve two further calls similar to Saturday loads of nonsense and crazy offers. 

Guy turn up just before 2 goes for a test drive comes back happy but then starts haggling despite agreeing the price on Firday. He then starts to labour on about timewasters and how can I be bothered to deal with messers when he is here to buy the car. Anyway I do end up doing it for a slightly better price and he buys it. It was only afterwards I started to wonder was it all a ploy to get me to discount the car?

Maybe I am just being paranoid or as anyone else experienced anyhting similar?  

I usually get the guy turn up, happy with car makes silly offer and I send him away. within an hour or so another guy asks new questions and offers a bid slightly higher than the first guy (denies any connection with first guy) I decline. Another hour and another guy calls asking again different questions and offers slightly more! Pantomime!

Edited by met
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tradex said:

We often get calls on cars that we have taken a deposit from, the caller is so obviously the customer than dropped the deposit, with a handkerchief over the mouthpiece like something from an episode of Ironside, asking if "is the car sold, are you sure, really sure?"

I have very often suspected this happens to us a lot. Very weird behaviour.

I remember about 15 years ago, associates of mine use to buy autotrader magazine, look through ads, use to do exactly same thing, use to get sometimes 2/3  grand off a 12 grand car from private sellers. 

On 30/01/2018 at 8:17 AM, tradex said:

We often get calls on cars that we have taken a deposit from, the caller is so obviously the customer than dropped the deposit, with a handkerchief over the mouthpiece like something from an episode of Ironside, asking if "is the car sold, are you sure, really sure?"

Usually the same type whom swop the battery over on the px. I guess they expect to be treated as they would treat someone else....even had a Chinese guy do a 'stealth mark' the battery on a Laguna he was buying from us with Tipex before...three dots on it so we added another dot to confuse him.

:rolleyes:

Four dots is the Mandarin for wanker:D