Sign in to follow this  
DoubleM

BCA Condition report rant

VERY frustrated with the Customer Claims at BCA and their attitude towards buyers.

Had a Grade 2 BMW delivered last week, described online as 1 to 5 stone chips on the bumper, 1 to 5 chips osf wing, two wheel refurbs and door edge chip.

It arrived with.....

Front bumper bladdered in chips with damage to splitter and two very bad touch ups about 5cm each, wing scratched through paint about 20cm & sill scratched about 50cm - both old scratches and thru paint, tailgate poor paint and a very obvious dent man dent, rear lamp cracked, three wheel scuffs and a bald tyre.

They accepted the grade change and the condition of the car and told me they could either collect it or get a quote which I felt was fair.... but.....

I sent them a very reasonable trade / cost price quote to do the repairs & replacement lamp and they'll offer me a max of £350 inc VAT which I think is taking the P**S.  I told them to phone their own BCA bodyshop for a quote and then come back to me with something more realistic.

They simply said take the £350 or we will collect.

Yes that is £291 +vat to repair/paint a bumper, a wing, a sill, a tailgate, refurb an extra wheel, change a run flat tyre and purchase a replacement LED rear lamp.

If it was easy enough to replace stock at the right money I would of sent it back, but I would be silly to do so as there's still decent profit left even after contributing towards the repairs.

Just really gets on my nerves how they just DO NOT care about their dealers and just have a take it or leave it attitude.

Never the auction or vender that's out of pocket but the people who are already being shafted daily when buying from BCA.

I had exactly the same with an Audi Allroad, shocking appraisal!!!

Like you, their attitude was what got my back up the most!! The person I dealt with really did have the worst 'I couldn't care attitude'. Thankfully I finally got through to a 'manager' who wasn't much better, but when I suggested the car had be 'misrepresented' and I would take legal action if necessary, she finally backed down and compensated. 

However, it really shouldn't have come to that. I just wanted to hold their hands up, apologise, and rectify the situation like you would expect a professional organisation to......

Don't even get me started on Manheim........

Can't see anything wrong with that if I'm honest.  They've offered you either compensation or a refund.  If the shoe was on the other foot what would you do?

I have a feeling you got it a substantial amount under book and they feel it's quite realistic they'll sell it for more anyway, hence the low ball and assertive stance.

Only had it happen twice, once @ Measham and once with Bedford.

Backed them both with no problems and money in account within 72 hours, so moved on without any problems.

=============

Manheim - I think their company moto is deny everything.  They actually come close to deny even selling the car with the excuses they come out with.  Not bought from there for, actually can't remember!  To think I was going to try them again next week!

Edited by Earunder

1 hour ago, Earunder said:

Can't see anything wrong with that if I'm honest.  They've offered you either compensation or a refund.  If the shoe was on the other foot what would you do?

I have a feeling you got it a substantial amount under book and they feel it's quite realistic they'll sell it for more anyway, hence the low ball and assertive stance.

Only had it happen twice, once @ Measham and once with Bedford.

Backed them both with no problems and money in account within 72 hours, so moved on without any problems.

=============

Manheim - I think their company moto is deny everything.  They actually come close to deny even selling the car with the excuses they come out with.  Not bought from there for, actually can't remember!  To think I was going to try them again next week!

I paid over cap clean actually, as I normally do for the right vehicle if it's got the right spec etc.

What would I do?.

If I had wrongly described a vehicle to a customer buying blind I would either pay for the exact cost to rectify the repairs (they offered less than 50%) or I would offer a refund (which they did). I wouldn't tell my customer to get a quote and then offer them less than half.

My issue is that they are hard faced enough to say take it or leave it when kicking you in the balls with the repair costs but as you said they probably know some other mug like me will sit on the laptop and buy it again.

As for Manheim - NOPE, I think I would rather get shafted with BCA than buy online with Manheim, in person with a mechanical report then yes I probably would use Manheim.

4 minutes ago, DoubleM said:

I paid over cap clean actually, as I normally do for the right vehicle if it's got the right spec etc.

What would I do?.

If I had wrongly described a vehicle to a customer buying blind I would either pay for the exact cost to rectify the repairs (they offered less than 50%) or I would offer a refund (which they did). I wouldn't tell my customer to get a quote and then offer them less than half.

My issue is that they are hard faced enough to say take it or leave it when kicking you in the balls with the repair costs but as you said they probably know some other mug like me will sit on the laptop and buy it again.

Wasn't aimed as a dig, just from my experience on the 2 occasions they ballsed up with myself.  Apologies, usually a BCA firm stance is because of it selling under CAP therefore not worrying about taking it back.  It took them 3/4 months to sell the one I backed as I had too overpaid because of the vehicle over capping.  I didn't want the rigmarole of getting it repaired and / sprayed as I bought the vehicle without that on it so hence would want it like that.  That's why I backed mine.

I can see why it can be frustrating, I just find their process a lot easier to deal with than Manheims and a few of the smaller houses who really don't give a toddle about anything.

Hi Double M

Its BCA standard procedure to "fob off"

Could we please have the age and mileage of the car? The grading does take this into consideration.

I know your pain, Ive just bought a Skoda with a previously damaged headlight not declared, its only a Xenon one for £360! (that's for a bare one without ballast and bulb)

If any other company treated its customers like they do they would last 10 minutes

• Like 1

We learned the hard way after buying online from BCA. We've had a few appraisals that were pretty bad.

Bought an Vauxhall VXR online. Gearbox was whining really badly, but no mention of it. Parked it in the carpark and complained - got nowhere as it was 'sold as seen' and the vendor didn't mention any fault.

Car came with no history/books/MOT, which was odd for a VXR with 1 owner for the last 10 years. After writing to the previous owner, found out the car was traded in with the owners booklet, MOT cert, Service Book full of main dealer history with an invoice detailing the gearbox failure - this paperwork was missing when we bought it. Called the dealer it was traded in at, must have got lucky and spoke to a newbie there who meant to put me on 'hold' but but me on 'mute' so I heard the whole conversation that he and the salesman who took the car in had. It wasn't pleasant. - I know it's the name of the game, but we've got to be honest with our customers, and the dealers still have to declare major faults with the cars, no just dispose of any paperwork that confirms any faults!

Decided I wasn't going to allow the vendor to just plead ignorance to the fault, so wrote the the CEO. Got a response pretty quickly and the complaint resolved.

When complaining, the branch manager told me that the mistake I made was driving it out of the compound and into the car park.

Bought a Fiat 500, drove from Devon to Walsall to collect it - Appraisal, and Assured Report were naff. We took the advice from we got, and didn't take the car off the site and were offered £200 and take the car as is, or chip it back. £200 wouldn't touch the repairs, so we chipped it back. Done and dusted within 25 mins. Shame about the 4 hour wasted drive up there though. The manager there offered us a free delivery next time we buy online from that centre, which was very kind of him.

We much prefer to go to auction to see the cars in person, but we are at a different end of the market to some dealers here.

We can see it from their side though, the people doing the appraisals are only human and occasionally things can be missed - or are they on a set time per car and sometimes rushing?

If we had customers who bought from us and arrived to find something not as described, they'd hit to roof. Why should dealers have to put up with cars not coming through auction being not as described. We pay enough in auction fees! Yes, we do have some comeback, but its a PITA to get listened to and the gestures offered to make the car 'as described' most often don't cover it.

You live and learn, eh?

That's a right moany old post :lol:

We're happy car dealers really - the good buys more than make up for the bad eggs.

Wouldn't change occupation, dealings in the blood!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Earunder said:

Wasn't aimed as a dig, just from my experience on the 2 occasions they ballsed up with myself.  Apologies, usually a BCA firm stance is because of it selling under CAP therefore not worrying about taking it back.  It took them 3/4 months to sell the one I backed as I had too overpaid because of the vehicle over capping.  I didn't want the rigmarole of getting it repaired and / sprayed as I bought the vehicle without that on it so hence would want it like that.  That's why I backed mine.

I can see why it can be frustrating, I just find their process a lot easier to deal with than Manheims and a few of the smaller houses who really don't give a toddle about anything.

Sorry mate didn't mean that reply funny. I appreciate you wasn't having a dig

1 hour ago, D&M said:

We learned the hard way after buying online from BCA. We've had a few appraisals that were pretty bad.

Bought an Vauxhall VXR online. Gearbox was whining really badly, but no mention of it. Parked it in the carpark and complained - got nowhere as it was 'sold as seen' and the vendor didn't mention any fault.

Car came with no history/books/MOT, which was odd for a VXR with 1 owner for the last 10 years. After writing to the previous owner, found out the car was traded in with the owners booklet, MOT cert, Service Book full of main dealer history with an invoice detailing the gearbox failure - this paperwork was missing when we bought it. Called the dealer it was traded in at, must have got lucky and spoke to a newbie there who meant to put me on 'hold' but but me on 'mute' so I heard the whole conversation that he and the salesman who took the car in had. It wasn't pleasant. - I know it's the name of the game, but we've got to be honest with our customers, and the dealers still have to declare major faults with the cars, no just dispose of any paperwork that confirms any faults!

Decided I wasn't going to allow the vendor to just plead ignorance to the fault, so wrote the the CEO. Got a response pretty quickly and the complaint resolved.

When complaining, the branch manager told me that the mistake I made was driving it out of the compound and into the car park.

Bought a Fiat 500, drove from Devon to Walsall to collect it - Appraisal, and Assured Report were naff. We took the advice from we got, and didn't take the car off the site and were offered £200 and take the car as is, or chip it back. £200 wouldn't touch the repairs, so we chipped it back. Done and dusted within 25 mins. Shame about the 4 hour wasted drive up there though. The manager there offered us a free delivery next time we buy online from that centre, which was very kind of him.

We much prefer to go to auction to see the cars in person, but we are at a different end of the market to some dealers here.

We can see it from their side though, the people doing the appraisals are only human and occasionally things can be missed - or are they on a set time per car and sometimes rushing?

If we had customers who bought from us and arrived to find something not as described, they'd hit to roof. Why should dealers have to put up with cars not coming through auction being not as described. We pay enough in auction fees! Yes, we do have some comeback, but its a PITA to get listened to and the gestures offered to make the car 'as described' most often don't cover it.

You live and learn, eh?

That's a right moany old post :lol:

We're happy car dealers really - the good buys more than make up for the bad eggs.

Wouldn't change occupation, dealings in the blood!

Always best to see in person and that's what I did for about 10 years but when you want certain makes / models / spec they aren't always on you're door step so have to bite the bullet and buy online.

Just would be nice not to be misled....

And yes the good ones always make you forget about the couple of bad ones after a week or so.

4 hours ago, Stalker said:

Hi Double M

Its BCA standard procedure to "fob off"

Could we please have the age and mileage of the car? The grading does take this into consideration.

I know your pain, Ive just bought a Skoda with a previously damaged headlight not declared, its only a Xenon one for £360! (that's for a bare one without ballast and bulb)

It was a 2010 330 M sport cab with 70k. Grade 2, that was changed when I sent pics, they didn't tell me grade but on the age / mileage of the car I would of said it was a 4 or maybe a very bad 3 at a push.

I've had better grade 3 older cars with more miles.

I've had no option but to accept the £350 and will have to swallow the extra repairs.

Can't win them all but at least I'll have a nice car in stock at the end of it.

On 25/01/2018 at 7:53 PM, MrC said:

If any other company treated its customers like they do they would last 10 minutes

definitely hate auctions full stop all the same 

• Like 1

Just rejected a car from local Manheim. Bought online as a grade 2 with two pictures of trolley dents and strong odour in car. Went to collect it turbo whistling its buns off, car needed 2 sides painting and 4 alloys refurbed, crack in rear parcel shelf....not a nice example at all and I would of walked straight passed it if I had actually been at the auction that day. Anyway went straight back to the counter handed over paperwork and keys and said I was refusing the car as it had been graded incorrectly. After several strong emails they agreed to cancel the purchase. It has now been re-graded to a 4 with 16 pictures online.

If only we could survey without having to use auctions!!

Sorry I mean "survive"

24 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Just rejected a car from local Manheim. Bought online as a grade 2 with two pictures of trolley dents and strong odour in car. Went to collect it turbo whistling its buns off, car needed 2 sides painting and 4 alloys refurbed, crack in rear parcel shelf....not a nice example at all and I would of walked straight passed it if I had actually been at the auction that day. Anyway went straight back to the counter handed over paperwork and keys and said I was refusing the car as it had been graded incorrectly. After several strong emails they agreed to cancel the purchase. It has now been re-graded to a 4 with 16 pictures online.

If only we could survey without having to use auctions!!

Sorry I mean "survive"

More like, "if only we could trust auctions to 'honestly' and 'accurately' describe cars on simulcast" in the way we have to when selling them!