Gavin@Rousdon

Parkers Price Guide

Just had a customer inform me that a Mini i've got for sales at £15995 is only worth £14000 because that's what Parker's tells him.

I get this a fair few times over the year and it always seems to under value my car whilst over valuing their part exchange.

Now I understand the general public have limited options with price guides but Parkers does seem to do a dis-service to the trade, I wonder where they get their data from. 

OR is it that Mr Joe Blogg's can't read the guide correctly and only see's the retail figure for his part ex and the trade figure for the one the dealer is selling. a sort of 'price guide dyslexia' which only affects users of Parkers ??!!!

I've just done a quick check on Parkers online and is gives the price of my Mini as £15k with 40k miles it with no extras. Mine has done 8k miles with Media Pack and other extra's. 

Hopefully one day someone will find a cure for this rare illness. 

• Like 1

Totally agree I had one the other day telling me my car was way over what parkers said?! Probably the same idiots who make "cash offers" hundreds of pounds below the screen price.  :rolleyes:

I think 'idiots' is a little harsh... if someone comes in to me on the last day of the month and offers me a profit on a 120 day bottler, albeit hundreds of pounds below advertised price, I'm likely to take it. So I suppose there's no harm in asking.

Besides, do you pay full retail for absolutely everything you buy? (And if the answer's yes, who's the idiot now?)

I know, why don't we compile a list of our answers to the "Parker's says your car is too dear" conundrum. Maybe the best ones could end up published in CD mag next month! (James?)

Here's mine to kick off:

"Parkers sell magazines and tell you this car is too dear. I sell cars and tell you their magazine is too dear, but you still bought it. Now what?"

• Like 1

I think Parkers car price magazine is absolutely wonderful ..... as on Fridays it makes the best used paper to put me fish and chips on instead of yesterdays newspaper!

-

i think the Joe public just see the price in thier and then expect that say on a £5000 car ... then in the really real world £4000 cash buys it .. as the next time im in Asda and our shopping costs £150 then of course in the really real world £100 cash buys that doesnt it .. lol .. :-)

in all serious .. ive always told any customer read what it says on the label .. :ie Guide . and thats all it is a simple guide not a concrete figure. 

• Like 1

Most people simply type in there car model etc in to autotrader and expect their own car is equivalent to the most expensive one for sale

Most recive a big shock with the actual price

Ive also found if a do a quick 86300 HPi text check the free valuations on average mileage dont come up too out of the normal run of the mill .. so to speak.

I think 'idiots' is a little harsh... if someone comes in to me on the last day of the month and offers me a profit on a 120 day bottler, albeit hundreds of pounds below advertised price, I'm likely to take it. So I suppose there's no harm in asking.

Besides, do you pay full retail for absolutely everything you buy? (And if the answer's yes, who's the idiot now?)

I know, why don't we compile a list of our answers to the "Parker's says your car is too dear" conundrum. Maybe the best ones could end up published in CD mag next month! (James?)

Here's mine to kick off:

"Parkers sell magazines and tell you this car is too dear. I sell cars and tell you their magazine is too dear, but you still bought it. Now what?"

When people come in asking for up to £1,300 off a car thinking they can get it, then my description above applies. If you knock hundreds of pounds off a car all the time then who's an idiot. You cant get a discount every where you go. 

.......So many worms....... which one looks the juiciest?......they all do!......let's start with the obvious........

"You cant get a discount every where you go."

Nobody said you can.

But, I repeat, there's no harm in asking.

"If you knock hundreds of pounds off a car all the time then who's an idiot."

Nobody said you have to.

"When people come in asking for up to £1,300 off a car thinking they can get it, then my description above applies."

Nobody said you have to give it.

Above all, I certainly wouldn't be assuming my potential customers are idiots. There's only one way that's gonna end up, my friend and being a skint, angry, lonely old man sitting in the shopping centre shouting at everyone, isn't on my bucket list, thanks.

This is the way of the world. It's the 'moneysavingexpert, vouchercode, hotukdeal, comparethemarket' mentality that now applies. Everyone is told that there's a better deal somewhere, and it's their job to find it. It's our job to prove that ours is the best one.

Simples.

If some one is bidding £1300 off your advertised price then yeh they are an idiot, a tryer but an idiot none the less, especially when the car is reasonably priced in the first place..

Would be nice to have £1300 profit on every car we buy, I'm sure they think we get given the cars.

Taken from Pistonheads !!!!

No wonder we have to put up with idiots after reading stuff like this. Trying to get £1500 or 20% off. It does seem some people seem to think we buy cars for peanuts and put £4000 across them. 

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1463425&mid=0&i=0&nmt=Haggling+on+Price&mid=0

• Like 1

S'funny isn't it?

In amongst that thread are one or two pearls of wisdom, but the vast majority of opinions are the typical, jaundiced, distorted tabloid views of the Motor Trade that were formed a nanosecond after Herr Mercedes met Herr Benz...

If some one comes to look at a car clutching a Parkers guide there is a good chance you are going to waste an hour of your life...

Be prepared for a lot of questions ( most of em pointless ) and keep a close eye on him , don't leave him alone with the car , he'll have his magnet out of his pocket quicker than you can say ..."one lady owner"

If some one is bidding £1300 off your advertised price then yeh they are an idiot, a tryer but an idiot none the less, especially when the car is reasonably priced in the first place..

Would be nice to have £1300 profit on every car we buy, I'm sure they think we get given the cars.

Thank you.