James Baggott

RE: Baggott: Not-so-useful gadgets… and why I’m worried about driverless cars

I've been ranting (there's a surprise) about useless gadgets in cars in the latest issue of the magazine.

I have a few pet hates about quite a few new inventions. But what about you?

Is there any new fangled car tech you'd consign to Room 101 alongside mine?

Hybrids, I can see that being an expensive fix over 10 years old!

My other half has been looking at Lexus RX400h and after driving one i wasn't put off but what is going to happen when its 10 years old and the hybrid has decided that the batteries and motors are pants so the engine is permanently on ! 

Can't 100% say i am on board with this idea yet, so back to Range Rover shopping and stuff the batteries. 

I have an e class hybrid on test right now, the technology is very impressive, and with 3000 miles on the clock it works perfectly, but in a 100k plus in 10 years, I just don't know, and it lists at £50k, so the depreciation will be massive on top

I've just took in a an old Rolls Royce with a built in... wait for it..... barometer.... why would you ever need a barometer in your car?

Tho as you pointed out, the one door only remote locking has to be the most pointless

Or fighting with the once touch window to only open it a quarter of the way

I have a Cmax in at the moment with the button that you press, and then it parallel parks for you. I thought YAY can't wait to try this...

It ran over a traffic cone that it didn't "see" and kerbed the rear wheel. What a load of crap.

• Like 2

Hey, I like this thread!! I drove a Mazda 6 the other day with automatic wipers, and they were superb!! Are the manufacturers finally getting this right?

But (and there's always a but) when the heavens open to such an extent that you expect to see Noah on the opposite carriageway, and the electric wipers are thundering across the screen, why don't the headlights come on automatically too??

And with automatics, why doesn't Park mean Park, and then we can do away with a silly little handbrake button.

I can see a feature coming up about this. More moans needed..... 

The Audi I've just got out of kept shouting at me that I'd left the engine running while I had be door open. Yes I know it's open I OPENED IT! What good is that whatsoever? If you don't know the door is open you shouldn't be driving.

I noticed on TopGear a Mercedes with an automated braking system. I wonder where you'd stand legally if the system malfunctioned?

I can just imagine the creative excuses on 'insurance claims' forms with all these 'driving aid' gadgets

One gadget that i do love is the auto cruise .. Had a volvo that I used to go to London a few months back , never sure about all these gizmo's thought I'd better test it , absolutely fantastic , with its BIS SYSTEM and lane steer - I set the cruise on about 75 mph and virtually came all the way back without having to touch the brake or accelerator !

Worked superb when some idiot decided to pull in front of me and the car simple braked / slowed down - danger out of the way - speeds up to set speed ! Well impressed .... only danger too easy to fall asleep :)