Grantlfc81

Getting first plot and making the jump.

Hi guys. So I'm making the jump over to selling from home to a small warehouse that holds 9-10 cars and has a nice size office, it's on a small, really well maintained indistrial estate with Low over heads of £750 a month all in and I don't need to take any profit as I have another company that pays ok.

im going to be selling cars valued from £1500 to £5k.

Everything will be advertised online and all profit will be put straight back into the business. This is a slow burning business for me and really looking forward to it.

im just curious how all you guys started with how many cars, and where have you got to now?

any advice is welcome.

All the best

Good luck Grant....

Sounds like a sound business plan to me...

I am sure you will do well, things are always easier when the pressure is off. Keep us posted on how you are getting on. I have only been trading 6 months and way off of thinking about a plot. Getting stock is the age old problem for me.

Regards Dean.

Hi Grant, I'm in exactly the same position as you, but with more like 15 - 25 cars trading from home, logistics is a nightmare. The MOT center, mechanics garage and valeters I use are based on a small industrial estate 5 minutes from my home. I'm constantly back and forth.....anyway a unit came available right next to the garage with 3400ft including office space, I'm completing early in January, its £13000 a year with no rates. However, I'watch?v=X5bmiake4iIm paying nearly £900 a monthly VED car tax payments :) Its gonna make my life so much easier. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Hi Grant, I'm in exactly the same position as you, but with more like 15 - 25 cars trading from home, logistics is a nightmare. The MOT center, mechanics garage and valeters I use are based on a small industrial estate 5 minutes from my home. I'm constantly back and forth.....anyway a unit came available right next to the garage with 3400ft including office space, I'm completing early in January, its £13000 a year with no rates. However, I'watch?v=X5bmiake4iIm paying nearly £900 a monthly VED car tax payments :) Its gonna make my life so much easier. 

That looks good,if it includes business rates,they must be about £100 per week for 3400sq ft

Good luck Grant :) Hoping to be in your position in a couple of years time after an overall successful first year of trading full time. 

Unit looks good Arthur. Is the plan to keep your model the same, customers buying on the basis of your vids or are you going to be changing that? I assume you tax and keep your cars on the roads around where you live currently?

Hi ASP, I have no intention to change my business ethos. I’m just going to keep trying to improve and simplify. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Hi ASP, I have no intention to change my business ethos. I’m just going to keep trying to improve and simplify. 

you can get a big Hawaiian back drop now to go with your videos:)

saves cutting the hedges every fortnight:D

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I'm in the same position as you,I'm maxed out space-wise with 15 from home although valet myself (busy fool) and considering a similar move.

How come the massive VED charges, did the DVLA reject your application for trade plates?

How many cars are you all moving a month?

On 24/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

On 24/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, s and b said:

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:
On 24/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, s and b said:

I like the sounds good with palm trees and naked women....,mmmmm

Never on my

7 hours ago, Wheelerdealer1 said:

£900 a month in ved !! 

I bet your neighbors loved you :lol:

First and most important lesson, don't piss off the neighbour's. Second lesson, don't advertise your cars with the registration. 3rd etc, don't take the piss by parking outside someones house, keep changing where you park and rotate every 2/3 days. Be discrete and park every car in excess of 500m of each other. :)

I tend to leave my reg plates showing these days, end of the day it’s a risk but there we go I noticed I get more enquiries on cars with reg showing 

Show plates with your business website and logo looks good imo. A genuinely interested customer will call for more information, you can then sell yourself and the car to them 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

they are all obsessed with MOT history

Don't blame them though really, the first thing i do when checking a potential buy is look at the MOT history.

20 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

indeed but the vast majority have no mechanical knowledge

you dont need mechanical knowledge though

just common sense

1 hour ago, s and b said:

just common sense

They demonstrate time and time again they don't have that either :lol:

• Like 1