James Baggott

SMMT chief executive - interview

I've finally pinned down the SMMT''s chief executive to an interview. I'm speaking to him tomorrow at 6.30pm. Pre reg and market growth will be on my agenda. What would you like me to ask him? 

• Like 1

For me I only hear about the SMMT when i comes to new car figures and dealings at the top end of big manufactors. I maybe be wrong but I can't see what they do on my behalf so therefore my question would be 'Has the SMMT an interest in smaller independent dealers?' and if so 'how are they planning to promote this interest?'

James, can you ask " With the SMMT's existence being -'the promotion of the Motor Industry in the UK' why do they not build and host a Classified Website which could become a credible alternative to AutoTrader?" The promotion of the motor industry is now more important than ever, now that we have proved our resilience by bouncing back yet again in the shadow of a  recession. Is it now about time that the SMMT became more active in setting up a classified website along with other promotion online tools to help promote the industry further using their depth of knowledge and understanding of the industry and help members and the UK Motortrade to become again world beaters? 

like its been said 'SMMT' ALWAYS appears to me for new cars ! US used car dealers need their help & support.

• Like 1

True Umesh, But that won't happen. There's a clue in the name my friend.

They are supposed to support the interests of the manufacturers and the traders so, by definition, it's gonna be a conflict of interest whenever any kind of dispute between the two arises. Who's side they'll be on? (Clue: who do they least want to upset...?)

The interview was rather interesting to say the least. It's in the next issue that will be with you around the 15th. His take on what's happening with pre-registrations was particularly telling.

Just read this interview and I have to say I was somewhat agitated by the end. I think you would have had more luck getting some straight, honest answers out of a politician.

• Like 1

2500 Pre-registrations did I read? How many dealers are there? 2000 or more, so each dealer pre-regs about 1 a year.

Is seems it was late in the day and he had already been coached in what answers to give. Shame but I guess we all know SMMT's guilty secret.