Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Volvo V50 EML error P2263

Ive got a Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Automatic 2008 which is causing a bit of heartache at the minute. When you pull away in lower gears it is missing & snatching at the gears, absolutely fine when warmed up on a long stretch of road. Code on my basic handheld read P2263. Took it to local Auto electrician who said it is either Boost pressure solenoid or the actuator that bolts on the turbo. Went for the cheaper option and got a new solenoid from Volvo. 2 Bolts holding it on, multi-plug on the bottom, a couple of push on vacumn pipes at the back, 5 minute job. Just took it out for a road test and EML back on and still missing when you pull away and to be honest not as quick on flat either. Just rang local Volvo main dealer Actuator not available on its own, part of turbo! My handheld is still reading P2263. Just took it to my MOT guy whose diagnostic is a lot better than mine. His reads as follows:

ECM - 003 A Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position exceeding Learning Limit

ECM- 2263 Turbocharger (TC) control. Faulty signal

ECM- 2566 Position sensor turbocharger (TC) Signal missing.

If I have to bite the bullet and replace the turbo obviously I will, but just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and found another fix other than replacement turbo?

Thanks

Is it a variable vain turbo like on VAGS? probably is I think they all are now. Have you checked the EGR valve as I had a turbo problem on a Jag X type and it was a blocked EGR upsetting air flow. 

How are you sure the actuator for the VNT is calibrated correctly ?

(You can't, it has to be setup properly)

You probably want something a little more constructive but if it’s got a few miles on it offload it at your local auction house.

I’m sure when they’re new they’re fine but any older Volvo diesel with either the shit 1.6 or the shit 2.0 are to be avoided. Strictly D5 2.4 only if you want a good night’s sleep.

The actuator on this car should be vacuum operated with a electric potentiometer on the top of the actuator to monitor the rod position. Firts of all check there is vacuum to the acutator on the turbo. When the car starts it should draw the rod back and close the vanes/wastegate. If you have vacuum there then you need to make sure the rod is not seized. Every part for this turbo is available seperately. 

had a 1.3 multijet that was totally unsaleable, never ran right tried all sorts,one day fine , next low power unless spinning over 2,300 rpm, did my head in, then read the wastegate rod seizes, its awkward to get to, needs doing on a ramp, long screwdriver, simply "work" the rod [more detailed info on the web] no point squirting anything on it, it gets too hot, simply working it free did the trick, apparently the turbo people [garages] wont try this just fit another turbo complete, understandable, if it faults again, but worked for me and did plenty 1,000s miles in it after :)

Volvo update FIXED!!!

Many thanks to Arfur Dealy. Contacted the people (via the link you sent me) by telephone. A really helpful guy answered, asked for registration number of Volvo, so he could work out which engine it had, told him the various codes it was throwing up. Sounds like it needs a new Actuator Position Sensor he says, this is the ebay number, we keep them on the shelf £40 inc VAT and delivery. Arrived this morning, fitted, 20 mile road test, drives like new. HAPPY DAYS.

That's what is so brilliant about this forum, helping each other out with advice and our years of combined experience!!! I owe you a pint or 3 Mr Dealy !!!

• Like 2