Sign in to follow this  
DBDlloyds

BMW 318Ci Clutch pedal flutter.

Morning all,

brought a lovely, or so I thought... 2005 BMW 318 CI with 65,000 miles and good history from Astons last night, I paid top money for it having researched pricing in the local area. When I got in the and put down the clutch pedal there is a flutter on my foot when fully engaged. As soon as you lift the pedal an inch or so off of the floor the fluttering stops and it pulls away cleanly. The car drives nicely with no clutch slipping or difficulty engaging gears. What are your thoughts on whether this is the duel mass fly wheel or possible just a need to bleed the hydrolick clutch system.

I just wondered if this is something any of you guys have encountered.

Many thanks Dean.

Thanks Tradex,

I will take to a mechanic later today and leave it with them to sort out...  

It's annoying when the clutch is OK but you still have to take the box off and whilst you're there you my as well slip a new clutch in. 

12 minutes ago, tradex said:

Yup,  but to try and find a silver lining there is some value in promoting a new clutch....where as a failed alternator etc...;)

Yes, a new clutch is a nice selling point

dont buy a chocolate clutch via tinternet

ive had plenty of cars this last 5 years where you strip the box down and clutch plate looks perfect even though it was patently slipping

9 hours ago, met said:

Yes, a new clutch is a nice selling point

+1 great selling point, top quality genuine LUK clutch just fitted Mr Customer, here’s the invoice :)

Do you all honestly think the cost of a replacement clutch can be added onto a secondhand car? I find it’s yet another one of those things that seem to count for sweet f.a. and it simply comes out of my margin.

3 minutes ago, BHM said:

Do you all honestly think the cost of a replacement clutch can be added onto a secondhand car? I find it’s yet another one of those things that seem to count for sweet f.a. and it simply comes out of my margin.

On a banger agreed, but on a car with a larger margin yes, plus it’ll sell quick aswell

1 hour ago, BHM said:

No, but along with new injection pump or head gasket it is a huge selling point that can sway a buyer. Whereas having to rebuild A/C or change an alternator just sucks profit