Sign in to follow this  
little spender

30k start up

If you had 30k to start up in car sales how would you do it ? ...and don't say you wouldn't

I'm not asking because I have no idea, I'm just interested to see different ideas

59 minutes ago, tradex said:

Can I throw this back and ask what your ideas are?

A fresh face (voice) is always interesting to hear.

+1

7 hours ago, little spender said:

If you had 30k to start up in car sales how would you do it ? ...and don't say you wouldn't

I'm not asking because I have no idea, I'm just interested to see different ideas

Firstly it would depend on how much land I had and where it was.

Trade from home or a small unit trading in shite under £3K. With £30K that’s all you can do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BHM said:

Trade from home or a small unit trading in shite under £3K. With £30K that’s all you can do.

Yup. Business plan:

Call yourself Quality Motors... go to BCA/ Manheim... listen to people moan... moan a bit yourself... buy some cars... fix some cars... advertise some cars... moan some more... give 3 months outsourced warranty... every car checked thoroughly... satisfaction guaranteed... excellent reputation... many happy customers

• Like 3

More than enough to get started with. Less than I had when starting up.

Work hard. Work really hard. Work harder than everyone else. You just have to. Travel the entire country buying stock as cheap as you can, selling quickly and efficiently. Get cars, back prepped and on sale as fast as possible. 

Spend the time I had making video, good pics, good descriptions and recording everything accurately. Re invest and pay nothing to myself at all. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments

I wish I could say I had some original ideas some gems of wisdom I could share

my plan was find a 2000 sq ft unit  to rent .. this has not been as easy as you would think or I as I thought at least

work by myself buying cars from auction ebay gumtree etc. doing the lot buying selling cleaning out sorc the work for mots ect ....

will be back got a manhiem delivery :)

Depends on your circumstances really but with 30k only way is at home or small unit and they aren’t easy to find at decent price 

nearest I can find is 500 s month and only 1000 sq ft not many landlords want car trades in their sites

if u get 2000 unit by time you find cars to fill it pay insurance rent etc you will run out of money before you make anything 

• Like 1

I started with this amount 7 years ago selling cheap bits around £3000.

I couldn't get enough Corsa C SXI's, used to sell like hot cakes.

I now have 10 times the value of stock and 10 times the headaches but it can be done with some hard work.

• Like 1

A big factor I would take into account would be where you are in the country.

If you're in the South East like me 30k start up will mean trading from home is the only option as there are zero sites or units around that would be anywhere near affordable. I've never traded from home so can't give any tips or hints other than do it properly because the last thing anyone needs is a disgruntled turning up on their doorstep.

• Like 1

Thanks lads 

James that's what I wanted to hear I don't need to be rich just make a decent living that's all

I don't mind selling stuff for £795 to 3k I've sold plenty of it in the past

I'm viewing a large yard/compound for about 20 cars with a showroom for about 5 cars its on the outside of town on a quite busy road  ... its a grand a month plus bills I will probably use it as I would use a unit and view by appointment but while I'm there I might sell the odd one of the street

what do you lot think

I'm in the north east of England BTW

Edited by little spender

15 hours ago, little spender said:

Thanks lads 

James that's what I wanted to hear I don't need to be rich just make a decent living that's all

I don't mind selling stuff for £795 to 3k I've sold plenty of it in the past

I'm viewing a large yard/compound for about 20 cars with a showroom for about 5 cars its on the outside of town on a quite busy road  ... its a grand a month plus bills I will probably use it as I would use a unit and view by appointment but while I'm there I might sell the odd one of the street

what do you lot think

I'm in the north east of England BTW

be careful of its rateable value and whether it can be used as a retail site,yes i know you could get 2 years before you were shut down but long term thats not the answer

30 g doesnt go far these days especially once you start buying silly things like cctv £100 padlocks wheel clamps for the one in the door etc

but i really wish you the best ,just dont go to the auctions and buy 12 dead legs to make the place look busy i know i keep saying it but new traders keep doing it

Main road pitch with a showroom for a grand per month ! Providing it is located in a good catchment area,I would say go for it.A 2000 sq ft unit on a trading estate wouldn't cost much less than that.

Thanks

I know 30k isn't a great amount to start with but its all I have at the moment

The only problem I will have is being on my own at first  having to lock up and leave the site to do things I will be getting the cars delivered to save time £30 plus vat isn't to bad and il get that down to £25 soon

I had a car forecourt 14 years ago but was only there for a year, back in the days of spending a fortune in the paper and the paper auto trader