Mojo121

Opinions on a fellow dealer's woes...

Hi all,

A dealer and I were having a chat down the block today and he got a phone call from an irate customer - a car he sold about 6 weeks ago now has a head gasket failure. I gave him some advice (repair or replacement CRA 2015) and told him the best way to resolve it amicably without it escalating. He sold the car with a third party warranty and they have refused to fix the car on the basis of part service history... surprise, surprise. Obviously he was keen to see the car and inspect it before carrying out the work but the customer has now sent him the bill having authorised the work at her garage a few days ago. They are trying to recoup the full amount of the repair - around £1500. This includes a head gasket replacement, cambelt, diagnostics, etc etc. The car was sold for around the £1500, not to mention had done around 100k and was over 10 years old, and he and I are certain the repairs could have been carried out more cost effectively... if he were liable that is.

My feeling is:

- it seems unreasonable behaviour to have the car repaired elsewhere and then call to expect the full amount to be paid.

- there's no evidence, besides the invoice for the work, that there was a fault or that it was present at the time of sale. It's possible the car had a minor fault and the customer's garage extorted them for financial gain.

- the worst case, if it were to go to court, is that he would be made to pay what he would have paid for the repair so he should get a quote from his garage just incase.

Thought it was an interesting one to put out there for opinions

they cant have it repaired elsewhere and send the bill

tell dealer to see them in court

its clear cut

Edited by s and b

50 minutes ago, s and b said:

they cant have it repaired elsewhere and send the bill

tell dealer to see them in court

its clear cut

Snap.

I had the same thing recently with a turbo claim.

Told him to go legal which he did and then so did I.

Never heard from him again.

Also I can sleep at night because I used the car myself regularly and I know that it was mint.

If your friend knew the head gasket was likely to go he should pay it in my opinion. If it was a proper car fight it. Ultimately just be honest.

Same here.

£1300 Beetle sold and 2 months and 2000 miles later i get a call saying its broken down. Its at the garage. I said no probs, whats the mileage now..... I don't know..... I tell you what, i'll call the garage. I spoke to them, he explained it had a clogged oil strainer or something and that it'd starved the engine and was going to be about a £1000 job. Whats the mileage I asked politely. I'll let you know tomorrow he said. 

I hear nothing for 4 days and then customer texts me the £1100 invoice and asks for a resolution as she's out of pocket after having the car repaired!  

8 hours ago, Mat C said:

Same here.

£1300 Beetle sold and 2 months and 2000 miles later i get a call saying its broken down. Its at the garage. I said no probs, whats the mileage now..... I don't know..... I tell you what, i'll call the garage. I spoke to them, he explained it had a clogged oil strainer or something and that it'd starved the engine and was going to be about a £1000 job. Whats the mileage I asked politely. I'll let you know tomorrow he said. 

I hear nothing for 4 days and then customer texts me the £1100 invoice and asks for a resolution as she's out of pocket after having the car repaired!  

what was the outcome

We've been relatively lucky with comebacks until tonight. A car sold 4 months ago done over 2000 miles and he wants us to pay for 3 shock absorbers as main dealers have told him they have been gone 'a long time'. Luckily we had the car serviced and checked out before sale so we know everything was spot on. Some customers are ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, DHill said:

We've been relatively lucky with comebacks until tonight. A car sold 4 months ago done over 2000 miles and he wants us to pay for 3 shock absorbers as main dealers have told him they have been gone 'a long time'. Luckily we had the car serviced and checked out before sale so we know everything was spot on. Some customers are ridiculous. 

I would never agree to this. this is why service report or pdi sheet is vital. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, betginge said:

I would never agree to this. this is why service report or pdi sheet is vital. 

Wait til the finance company starts telling you you need to do it... despite numerous items of evidence showing it was free from fault at time of sale. :unsure:  

2 hours ago, tradex said:

And MOT before saleB)

This for me also works wonders 

12 hours ago, betginge said:

what was the outcome

How weird, she should email me today!!!!

I stood firm and offered her £250 goodwill and after the 3rd time she wrote to me demanding the whole amount, she reduced it to £600. I stood firm again and basically said my final offer was £250 and she had 7 days to accept it.

She emailed me today ( 6 weeks later ) saying she's been away for 3 weeks and has decided not to take me to court ( SHOCK ) and that she'll accept my £250.

I'm undecided what to do, I clearly gave her 3 opportunities to take my goodwill and told her on several occasions that she was not going to win by taking me to court. I guess I can refuse to give the £250 now as 6 weeks have passed and she's had the car now for over 5 months.

1 hour ago, Mat C said:

I stood firm and offered her £250 goodwill and after the 3rd time she wrote to me demanding the whole amount, she reduced it to £600. I stood firm again and basically said my final offer was £250 and she had 7 days to accept it.

She emailed me today ( 6 weeks later ) saying she's been away for 3 weeks and has decided not to take me to court ( SHOCK ) and that she'll accept my £250.

I'm undecided what to do, I clearly gave her 3 opportunities to take my goodwill and told her on several occasions that she was not going to win by taking me to court. I guess I can refuse to give the £250 now as 6 weeks have passed and she's had the car now for over 5 months.

Just do it and move on. You said you would anyway and if you don't bad reviews etc are likely to be far more damaging.

I don't agree with the customer on this type of thing and in the next 6-8 weeks will post quite a big thread on a court case pending for a customer who has done something similar to us once it is all done and dusted, regardless of the outcome.

Good luck. 

4 hours ago, Mat C said:

Send her a cheque in six weeks...

Seriously though, in your position, I'd pay her if only to give me the feeling of being on higher moral ground.

Although it would make me a little sad.... :-)

Edited by CGF

11 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

Wait til the finance company starts telling you you need to do it... despite numerous items of evidence showing it was free from fault at time of sale. :unsure:  

Yes, I am dreading this when I get my first rejection from Finance.  I hope the case that lawgistics won the other month will start a change of tack from finance houses working more closer with dealers to resolve issues rather than reject and run. We know there are good finance houses who will work with dealers and some who seem to be acting like a sour of sh*t. 

Look forward to hearing about your pending case @Rory RSC hope it goes your way. 

i'm going on holiday for a few weeks, might leave it till after I get back.... Leave her hanging. Really annoys me how I was willing to help and then BAM they expect everything and completely go about it the wrong way and obviously been to trading standards or citizens advice and been told to do one and then come crawling for my offer. I'm a big believer in looking after my customers but this one just riles me.

I'll leave it till I get back!

• Like 2