Sign in to follow this  
XFS

What To Do With a Trade In

I,m a relatively successful part time trader. I play by the rules and do ok.

I,ve landed myself with a car I don't want. Very limited space and anything I can't make a decent turn on is just eating space for no reason.

I normally sell £10k plus cars, avoid trade ins unless retail standard. I make sure all cars are right, offer a comprehensive warranty and don,t get comebacks. That's the way I like it. I,m not that familiar with consumer rights as I,ve not had to deal with anything contentious.

So, I have this Audi A6 Avant on a 57 plate, 160,000 miles, 2 owners from new FSH. New test, drives fine, good tyres, sat nav, no faults mechanically. New discs and pads.  Looks like shit though. A grade 4/5 at auction,nothing desperate, just battle scarred and a bit scabby.

Cap clean says £2600. I need to get £1500 for it. Been through the block once, no bids.

Do I spend £500 trying to pretty it up and retail it....risking warranty claims and horror of horrors my first "screamer"

Or can I legally advertise it as seen for spares or repairs only and sell as is with no warranty or come - backs ?

For what its worth every time I send a car to auction I never get anywhere near what its worth.

Appreciate maybe you don't want the liability of selling something like this.

I would write the most honest advert with clear pictures and advertise as a trade sale with no warranty px clearance car.

2 options ebay auction or an autotrader advert.

Most high mileage Audis like this I have sold within 24 hours with zero prep to ukranian/eastern europeans who export them. No messing around, dead simple they are hunting for them and 160k is barely worn in for them :D 

I have done this on a few cars and had zero issues I have just been brutally honest and explained it is not my type of retail stock.  at 2k you phone will not stop ringing be prepared. 

9 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

For what its worth every time I send a car to auction I never get anywhere near what its worth.

Appreciate maybe you don't want the liability of selling something like this.

I would write the most honest advert with clear pictures and advertise as a trade sale with no warranty px clearance car.

2 options ebay auction or an autotrader advert.

Most high mileage Audis like this I have sold within 24 hours with zero prep to ukranian/eastern europeans who export them. No messing around, dead simple they are hunting for them and 160k is barely worn in for them :D 

I have done this on a few cars and had zero issues I have just been brutally honest and explained it is not my type of retail stock.  at 2k you phone will not stop ringing be prepared. 

Thanks, sounds good. The one thing I want to establish though is where do I stand legally. Does clearly stating its a trade sale with no warranty protect me in any way if something goes wrong?

3 minutes ago, XFS said:

Thanks, sounds good. The one thing I want to establish though is where do I stand legally. Does clearly stating its a trade sale with no warranty protect me in any way if something goes wrong?

I think the key thing to do is make sure you explain any defects - explain no warranty - explain car being sold below market value ie others are at 3k yours is 1500 it is that price for a reason - include the wording car is not fully safety checked so you advise any buyer to make their own pre purchase checks and whilst car starts, runs and drives you advise that they should trailer car away until they are satisfied it is safe etc.

I have not had any issues, you do possibly open yourself up to them but you are most likely going to be dealing with a trader if its cheap enough. Be selective with who you sell to.

unless you are a main agent auctions as a means of disposal are nightmares, the auctioneers dont give 2 fu@ks, ebay used to be good but i struggle now especially with the auction format, do you not have any mates who would gumtree it for a small fee

I don't know any small traders who do well auctioning cars regardless of the company. I've always found that an 'honest' description on ebay will get stuff sold. But as mentioned before, Ebay has its own issues these days and is not for the feint hearted!

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

I think the key thing to do is make sure you explain any defects - explain no warranty - explain car being sold below market value ie others are at 3k yours is 1500 it is that price for a reason - include the wording car is not fully safety checked so you advise any buyer to make their own pre purchase checks and whilst car starts, runs and drives you advise that they should trailer car away until they are satisfied it is safe etc.

I have not had any issues, you do possibly open yourself up to them but you are most likely going to be dealing with a trader if its cheap enough. Be selective with who you sell to.

Rory is correct here, make sure you are picky who you sell it to. You dont want some chav buying it trying to save £2000 on the retail price but thinks he is fully protected by CRA. Be very clear in the listing, and make sure such statements as rory mentions are on the invoice that the car has not been checked etc.

A6 sounds like the tackle that ends up going behind the old iron curtain.

Ok, thanks. I've actually done ok with trade ins at auction previously. Last old Audi I put through made £300 over reserve. 

But I guess putting on AT and getting 2k beats anything I'll get on the block!

i dont like the idea of advertising to the unwashed that the cars not fit for purpose by way of not being checked over

the only way round this is to sell as no mot, repairs only, must be trailered away and get a proper receipt set up that buyer signs with all these conditions on

even then you might end up with an lba

Evening XFS, I'm one of those exporters other people have mentioned on the thread, my clients abroad would be interested in a car like this. It'd be a trade sale as you wish, so if you haven't offloaded it yet PM me and we can hopefully get a deal done. Thanks, Rish 

Ok, thanks for the input. It went through again today and I scraped £1500 after deductions, so I can live with that :) 

• Like 1