grant8064

Petrol vs Diesel

There has been loads of media scaremongering lately about diesels and I wondered if any of you have noticed a change in buyers choices because of it?

I am definitely finding buyers want petrol again. We have 40 odd cars in stock and a couple of years ago it was a 50/50 split but now we only really stock diesel SUVs and a couple of hatches. 

Punters pretty much all seem to turn up bemoaning diesels (even if I think they would benefit from one) and I can only assume this is because of the media coverage.

Personally I only drive diesel because it suits my driving and journeys. For me that's the thing...it's about buying the right tool for the job.

I think a part of the problem with diesels is simple mis-selling of new cars.

The number of people I get turning up in 12 plate Jukes or Kugas saying they have had to replace/regenerate the DPF more than once already is bordering on silly. When probed though this always seem to be through mis-use...school runs and stop start trips etc.

And the reason they bought a diesel? Cheap tax & high MPG. Despite the fact that the engine is completely unsuited to their lifestyle. and WILL become an expensive problematic lump these are good selling points on a new car.

So what is your opinion guys? It seems to be a hot topic on the TV and radio but we haven't discussed it on here and we are supposedly at the sharp edge.

Slightly, some customers recently have bought petrol and clearly stated to me they do  not want diesel, then there are the others who will only ever buy diesel mainly due to the lower tax bracket. 

I personally only drive petrol and have never actually owned a diesel car I could call my own. 

I would say petrol is more reliable than diesel these days, with the exception of 1.2 1.4 vauxhall engine with the chain, and the VW 1.2 lmp that burns valves for fun. Oh and the horrid 1.6 Peugeot vvti engine thats also in minis and BMW's

Thinking about it, Neither Petrol or Diesel are reliable. If you want reliable engine get a Honda 1.6 Vtec Petrol or just get a bicycle :lol:

I'd say diesels are 2/3 more likely to be back under warranty

and when they do they almost always cost more to fix with odd issues 

people seem to think diesels go to 200k with no problems. They will go to 200k but it will cost an arm and a leg to get there in most cases ??

Does anyone else remember having to queue up behind HGV's in a car to use the one diesel pump in the petrol station?:D

Diesels originally had two advantages, economy and longevity/robustness. Modern manufacurers seem to now just focus on the economy side leaving an expensive fragile ticking time bomb under the bonnet. I've personally owned a couple of old ('90s) diesel 4x4s that easily ran to 300k on their original IP and HG but struggled to do more than 25mpg, but they're 'still' running.

Edited by metcars

I remember selling a old Peugeot 205 diesel with 170K on it for £250 to someone who wanted a cheap diesel with test. Old Diesel engines were far better, Its modern engines in general as even old petrol engines were easy to work with.

When it comes to stop start local driving then Diesel was far better economy wise. Now due to all the emissions requirements Diesels are not suitable for local use.

I always seem to have a decent margin in diesels, high or low mileage, but they then either need more prep or they come back with problems and like craig said they are never cheap fixes, I now try to stay away from diesels or just have a couple that I know inside out, I've lost count of the vw/audi diesels we have took in part ex that have been bulbed, I just want cars with less headaches and half decent margins.

• Like 1

Interesting views guys...seems like, in one way or another, we're all pretty much on the same page.

Over complicated.

Higher rate of warranty issues/faults.

Higher repair costs.

They just seem to be so fragile these days. We sold an old 206 diesel to a friend for £100 a while ago and its done 160k and just keeps going and going and going. Something tells me the 2009 40k Golf i'm using won't get there so easily...its already needed a DPF and EGR and i'm waiting for the next thing!

Hi,defintely seen a more cautious approach from customers regards to diesels,like Tom said in post 2,some people will only want diesel due to specific needs,tow vehicle or high miles per year use,but the customer who doesnt need these things is definately thinking about petrol cars now,my wife and I both have diesel cars,but for specific needs,I tow with my Grand picasso 2.0 hdi and we use her Pug.3008  for our trips up to the lakes 2/3 times amonth so it gets a good motorway run quite often.Its the people who have these diesel cars and DONT do the occasional long run in a lower gear who suffer the problems connected with diesels.Also regular oil flush/changes with addative in the fuel can avoid alot of the troubles,manufacturers who say you can do 18/20,0000 miles on a diesel between services  are just a joke and asking for trouble,those sort of intervals are there  for one reason only,to make that manufcturer look good for fleet operators to lower there operating/service costs without any thought as to what it can do to the inside of the engine.As with most things mechanical use it properley and follow advice/instructions there will be no problems.

Using the wrong engine oil in a modern diesel adds to the problem. Low ash oils are required, but people skimp due to the stupid markups applied.