Sign in to follow this  
Glevum

Debt collection agency parking fine on sold car

Just had 2 letters demanding 2 lots of £115 within 5 days from a debt collection agency for a car that was sold some time back. The car came with no V5 so I applied for one in the garages name. It was sold  to a customer in London 100 miles away.

The change of ownership was made on the V5 and posted to DVLA 7 months ago with the new owners details (I presume the parking offence was committed between the invoice date and the date DVLA changed the keepers details)

I spoke to the collection agency saying that I have the invoice for the sale with the date confirming it was not owned by me when the parkihg offence was committed all they said was it must be paid within 5 days to avoid baliffs.

I have not had any parking charge notice previously from the company that instructed the debt collection agency.

The debt collection agency say that although the invoice shows the date of sale - it might not have been delivered untill after the offence.

The details they got from DVLA at the time must have shown my garage as the registered keeper even though I have proof that I was not the owner at that time.

They insist on payment for both within 5 days or they will instruct baliffs to visit and seize goods - on their letter it states that this will cost me £276 for each letter and when the goods are auctioned off there is a further charge of £110 to cover auction fees.

Surely this cant happen without a court case

Edited by Glevum

Yikes! Sounds like a ‘story car’. In this context, your  mistake was registering it in your name? With debt collectors, it’s like a game of tag and now you’re ‘it’

I would email a copy of the invoice over and tell them to dissist from harrasing you

for future make sure invoice states day time and a signed for signature confirming handover time to the minute

why

because 15 years ago a customer took a car and got a speeding ticket 19 miles up the road, try sorting that one

finally always always electronically advise dvla of change of ownership and print everything off and attach to invoice pdi checklist etc and file it for 7 years

4 hours ago, metcars said:

Yikes! Sounds like a ‘story car’. In this context, your  mistake was registering it in your name? With debt collectors, it’s like a game of tag and now you’re ‘it’

i would have gone with "and posted to DVLA" as the biggest error, why wouldnt you use electronic transfer and put your trust in the post office ? we have had a few of these and i just send confirmation email from the dvla showing i no longer own the car end off doesnt matter when i delivered it, the fine must go to the recorded keeper of the car simples.

11 minutes ago, justina3 said:

i would have gone with "and posted to DVLA" as the biggest error, why wouldnt you use electronic transfer and put your trust in the post office ? we have had a few of these and i just send confirmation email from the dvla showing i no longer own the car end off doesnt matter when i delivered it, the fine must go to the recorded keeper of the car simples.

Well, you say that. Many years ago, well about 20? I bought a car for my stepson at the block. Just a fiesta, nothing special. I handled the paperwork, and filled his name and address on the V5 and sent it (no electronic transfer then). I know the v5 arrived at his flat because I saw it. About 6 months later he gets flashed by a static camera and ignores the nip. He actually moved and thought that would get them off his tail. 2 months I get the nip sent to me including a little pic of him driving with his girlfriend sat next to him? But how did they get my details unless they backtracked all the previous owners until it arrived at manheim as a Gates px. I’m assuming manheim gave my account details to the police. It was never in my name? But I had to send them a sales receipt and all that nonsense to clear it up. But it was just a normal stock purchase that ran through my business. My name & address was never on the V5.

I know that they report suspicious account activity to the usual agencies, DWP/HMRC etc. But I’m guessing they allow access for debt collectors/bailiffs now? 

On 9/23/2022 at 5:33 AM, Glevum said:

Just had 2 letters demanding 2 lots of £115 within 5 days from a debt collection agency for a car that was sold some time back. The car came with no V5 so I applied for one in the garages name. It was sold  to a customer in London 100 miles away.

The change of ownership was made on the V5 and posted to DVLA 7 months ago with the new owners details (I presume the parking offence was committed between the invoice date and the date DVLA changed the keepers details)

I spoke to the collection agency saying that I have the invoice for the sale with the date confirming it was not owned by me when the parkihg offence was committed all they said was it must be paid within 5 days to avoid baliffs.

I have not had any parking charge notice previously from the company that instructed the debt collection agency.

The debt collection agency say that although the invoice shows the date of sale - it might not have been delivered untill after the offence.

The details they got from DVLA at the time must have shown my garage as the registered keeper even though I have proof that I was not the owner at that time.

They insist on payment for both within 5 days or they will instruct baliffs to visit and seize goods - on their letter it states that this will cost me £276 for each letter and when the goods are auctioned off there is a further charge of £110 to cover auction fees.

Surely this cant happen without a court case

sales invoice sorts this out , email them stating not in your ownership , new keeper details enclosed , end of . had a few and Invoice showing date and new keeper ends it . 

On 9/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, David Horgan said:

sales invoice sorts this out , email them stating not in your ownership , new keeper details enclosed , end of . had a few and Invoice showing date and new keeper ends it . 

100% ! Works everytime