Sign in to follow this  
the old novice

help with a dvla issue would be appreciated

As per the title i have an issue with the DVLA regarding an allegedly  untaxed vehicle that i own. So here is the bullet points

Car bought from auction with no V5 as it was a finance repossession.

I completed the V62 form to apply for a V5

Car is notified as being in my possession as per my trade policy

use the car on trade plates as a smoker whilst V5 arrives

a few days after the V5 arrives i receive a letter stating that vehicle is untaxed and i owe them a months road fund licence

I respond to say that the vehicle was on trade plates  

get no reply to that letter

now received another letter from DVLA stating that i owe them £338 as an out of court settlement for an untaxed vehicle. Seems very heavy handed for them given the fact that i had responded to the 1st letter.

I tried to ring them yesterday but the whole options list seems to be geared towards not talking to people and suggesting that appeals are not normally successful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm guessing that if you put the trade plates on correctly then as you smoked it the original plates were seen by anpr and car flagged as untaxed

can't give any advice on the fine

Really trade plates are only meant to be used when on trade business.

The ANPR camera can't see the plates when they are on top of the dashboard or wedged behind the back window. You should be able to get a copy of the ANPR image to substantiate your claim, but if trade plates are not visible then they WILL prosecute. 

A lot of DVLA staff are still working from home.To try and get a reply from a human,I would be communicating with them by first class,signed for registered post.I still wedge plates on the inside but not now.How about paying 1 months Road tax by cheque  ‘ under protest ‘ and request that they provide a photo.You were not smoking it as I don’t think using Trade Plates for private journeys is allowed.

Good luck with DVLA

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

A lot of DVLA staff are still working from home.To try and get a reply from a human,I would be communicating with them by first class,signed for registered post.I still wedge plates on the inside but not now.How about paying 1 months Road tax by cheque  ‘ under protest ‘ and request that they provide a photo.You were not smoking it as I don’t think using Trade Plates for private journeys is allowed.

Good luck with DVLA

I think that the DVLA is dehumanised nowadays in a cynical attempt to frustrate interaction and get Joe Public  pissed off enough to pay up. Just in the process of putting my appeal paperwork in the post and sending it off and getting it signed for. 

5 hours ago, Tony911 said:

Use live chat

is it back on? 

they had turned it off last week again, took 42 minutes to get through on the dog an bone

maureen I think it was, she was telling me how she can now do her nails and answer some questions while she works from home due to covid restriction at dvla headyquarters

On 8/25/2022 at 8:30 PM, It's me said:

is it back on? 

they had turned it off last week again, took 42 minutes to get through on the dog an bone

maureen I think it was, she was telling me how she can now do her nails and answer some questions while she works from home due to covid restriction at dvla headyquarters

:lol:

dvla update earth time 13.56pm

date 30/08/2922

webchat turned off

phone lines turned off for anything but driving licences

this is a national scandal and all our politicians are doing is pontificating on anything and everything and doing nothing the Dammed lot of them

it's bloody disgusting

17 hours ago, It's me said:

dvla update earth time 13.56pm

date 30/08/2922

webchat turned off

phone lines turned off for anything but driving licences

this is a national scandal and all our politicians are doing is pontificating on anything and everything and doing nothing the Dammed lot of them

it's bloody disgusting

We need to “take back control!” :D

1 hour ago, metcars said:

We need to “take back control!” :D

I've just been on webchat in queue for 22 minutes then it transferred me to the nation archives website, way its going my car is going to end up being an exhibit if I can't ascertain if its in trade

I've just been kicked out again, this is proper Internet not some dodgy 5 g even

message now says advisors unavailable again

been to post office and asked if I can tax

the answer was yes so car IS in trade, that's another 2 hours of my life gone but then I did get to see some puppies whilst I was out

:(:D