Sign in to follow this  
Mercftw

Headlight lens Replacement

Hi there fellas 

I Usually go ahead and buy a new headlight if one needs replacing but I’ve been seeing an increased number of ads on EBay where the headlight lens has been replaced. 
Do you guys know anyone who replaces Cracked headlight lens?

Interesting. B)

Back in the dim, distant old days a few headlight had replaceable glass lenses, I changed them on 90's C class for example......can't think of any today, that I deal with, having glass lenses as they are usually a plastic lens welded onto a plastic body. 

Edited by Frank Cannon

16 hours ago, Mercftw said:

Hi there fellas 

I Usually go ahead and buy a new headlight if one needs replacing but I’ve been seeing an increased number of ads on EBay where the headlight lens has been replaced. 
Do you guys know anyone who replaces Cracked headlight lens?

Cant see how that works , just mist up surely , as Frank says old stuff yes , newer stuff cant see that working 

I did some glass ones in the day but modern ones no ,the gunge is too gungy to separate them

3 hours ago, It's me said:

I did some glass ones in the day but modern ones no ,the gunge is too gungy to separate them

We replaced one on a RR sport we were selling and wanted to keep costs down. New lens was about £60. Lamp out and in the oven to soften the adhesive. Pry the old lens off and fit the (preheated) new lens. Then run a bead of silicone over the seal.Not too difficult.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:20 PM, Halfpenny said:

Lamp out and in the oven to soften the adhesive. Pry the old lens off and fit the (preheated) new lens. Then run a bead of silicone over the seal.Not too difficult.

Exactly this :)

59 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Exactly this :)

I'd never get that past her indoors.....she still hasn't forgiven me the time she came home, to find a set of Trident headers being cured in her oven....another five minutes and I'd got away with that. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Frank Cannon said:

I'd never get that past her indoors.....she still hasn't forgiven me the time she came home, to find a set of Trident headers being cured in her oven....another five minutes and I'd got away with that. 

That reminds me of a time i had a tin of grease boiling on the cooker top with a Bike chain in it :rolleyes: Solid grease heats up , the smell was the problem too , but this grease had just melted when the wife pulls up . Wasn't happy :lol: bunny 

1 hour ago, Frank Cannon said:

We have a small industrial oven for heating parts - I didn't use the kitchen oven!!

22 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

We have a small industrial oven for heating parts -

I built one from our old cooker :)

Saves me a bollocking from all sorts of stuff I use it to heat up :)

I also use a Burco Boiler (Tea Urn with tap) to heat up Waxoyl for spraying into cavities and undersides of cars through a modified Schutz Gun :)

5 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I built one from our old cooker :)

Saves me a bollocking from all sorts of stuff I use it to heat up :)

I also use a Burco Boiler (Tea Urn with tap) to heat up Waxoyl for spraying into cavities and undersides of cars through a modified Schutz Gun :)

Ohh Waxoyl, I'd forgotten about that, I used to do most of my old classics and then spend the next few days trying get it off my eyelashes and out of my hair.....then have to put up with the smell for a few weeks every time I went near the treated car, great stuff though. B)