Sign in to follow this  
Gavin@Rousdon

Customer Logic !!!

Had a stange one today

On a 2013(63) Audi A4 Avant 42k £14450, which I know is value considering age, warranty etc etc

They test drove the car and liked it, proceeded to offer £12500 which I just thought was a low starting offer, I explained if I could make £2000 over a car I would be retired by now. It seems they were deadly serious. They pulled out print off's of a A4 Avants which were 61 plate, 12 plate and 62 plate with mieage between 37k and 49k. I explained a 61 plate was 2 years older to which they replied it didn't matter as it was just mileage they were interested in. The 61 plate has NAV and Leather(cream) and was priced at £13500 which seems a fair price but they refused to understand age has a bearing on value, and mine being 2 years newer would affect its value, they were then even offended when I told them an offer of £13k 'wasn't even close', seems the fact the other has 5k less miles on it maybe it worth so much more to them. 

I think it wasn't so much their logic that stunned me, they said they do 40k a year so they will only keep it for 2 years maybe but more the fact they genuinely had travelled a round trip of 140 miles (in a beat up Vectra !!!) expecting to have £1500- £2000 knocked of a car. My thoughts are they only have £13k to spend, so why not say and save themselves time and hassle of viewing cars. A simple phone call would have saved a lot of time !!!

I'm surprised they didn't ask for a 'trade to trade' deal. Because these days "everyone" wants to buy at trade price and then claim to be 'private' if there's a problem!

Gavin ! We'll never ever understand the logic !! AND how some of these buyers think , some simply do not understand WE have to buy these cars and pay good money to get them - they simply think we're desperate to GIVE them away ! .. All part of the job :) 

I think a lot of it is through pure stupidity/ignorance that they don't realise we have paid an actual price for the vehicle, it wouldn't surprise me if some of them think if they buy a car off us for say £6k we make £6k

I'm sure we've all been, at times, offered less than we actually paid for a vehicle by these dreamers!!

• Like 1

Amazingly the customer just phoned up !!! Asked if I remembered him and stated that we weren't too far away on price when he left (£1500 not far!!) Anyway with a bit of negotiation we did a deal at £14k.

I didn't ask what happened to the 3 other cars he had printed off which he consider much better value then mine!!

Not sure if its a case of a customer just not being very good at negotiating or having a 'head full of magic' and after looking at other cars reality set in.

• Like 1

Not sure if its a case of a customer just not being very good at negotiating or having a 'head full of magic' and after looking at other cars reality set in.

I think we all know which one it is...

...as long as he leaves you with a bank account full of cash and then does a disappearing act without showing you his magic wand!!

• Like 3