Max Branning

Trade sales

So i am now looking to start selling our p/x stock out strictly as trade sales. This will mostly be anything under £1500 as i am sick of the comebacks we have had of late. Even on the cheaper stuff i try to make sure they are as good as can be but i have had stuff coming back for the most stupid of reasons even on bangers for £500. There just isnt enough profit in these to warrant a fresh MOT/ service etc before resale.

Could be since the new consumer laws people are more aware of their rights? but definitely i have noticed customers are more picky now than they were a few years ago.

Anyway my plan is to be a bit tighter on the p/x prices i pay and then sell the p/xs out strictly as Trade sales and the trader would have to sign a receipt to say they are fully aware of this and state their business name/address on the receipt. I have sent some stuff to physical auction previously but by the time you consider logistics and fees i would be losing money most of the time.

Is this a legal way to trade ? and do any other traders here do this with their cheaper stock? Any pitfalls to avoid ?

few years ago i used to go to a dealer who would have 4 or 5 cars and id give him a price for a job lot , he was happy to get rid of 5 to a trader and i was happy for 5 cheap cars for my stock

be ready to sell cheap or no profit if you want the easy life to concentrate on the better stuff

Hanging around a large dealership for a few crumbs off the table was how I started back in the day. But, nowadays. I would imagine that unless you are offering them to 'mates' only, you'll have "supposed" traders from everywhere trying to buy them for tuppence? These days it seems everyone is 'trade', and its easy get insurance, business cards etc.

you could always set up a separate ebay account and start them for a quid stating no returns trade sale ect but be prepared for threats of bad feedback 

do not sell on auction, trust me ive tried this this past few weeks and all ive got is proper grief.

i would suggest sell to trade only and proof of motor trade insurance policy needed and invoice shows this or dont do it,its really not worth the hassle

I suppose my main concern here is this a legal way to trade? If you are selling to "trade only" can you actually do that from retail premises?

Yes you can Max if it concerns you that much mark out a TRADE ONLY AREA and have sign saying Trade Only area, keep all cars you are trading out in that area.

I think you probably can just vet the people buying from you. I reckon gumtree might be a good source for people thinking they can buy a car quick clean it and flip it to AT.

We had a great local auction near here which has recently closed - It was 5 miles away so no problem dropping the cars off there. I got more money for my part ex's there than I would have dared retail them for and it was weekly money back in on all the cheapie cars which helped cash flow and clear space. If I tried to chuck this stuff through manheim/sma etc the fees would render it completely useless.

Ebay auctions for me have always resulted in people coming out and then saying it has this wrong, that wrong etc etc. Have to list them 2/3 times to get things gone. And I do write honest ebay adverts but if i can tell you everything wrong with a £300-£1000 car that it might need to get it in tip top shape I might aswell try and sell it.