have a word with the wife

MOTs for cars, vans and motorcycles / latest

14 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

Well that tells me it's a long shutdown for us,maybe 6 months..?

No inside information on this one as my source is self isolating

It will be more than the 3 weeks i think thats for sure . 

12 minutes ago, Casper said:

It will be more than the 3 weeks i think thats for sure . 

+1

• Like 1

Concerned about safety and the general public, who, in my opinion, do not check there vehicles enough.

One in 10 (9.6%) MOT fails are due to brake issues.

add another 6 month :unsure:

of course your vehicle must be roadworthy at all times.

Edited by have a word with the wife
spellin

23 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

Concerned about safety and the general public, who, in my opinion, do not check there vehicles enough.

One in 10 (9.6%) MOT fails are due to brake issues.

add another 6 month :unsure:

of course your vehicle must be roadworthy at all times.

I agree about the safety aspect  how often do we see tyres down to the wire etc . I also noticed they said these measures will be in place for around a year . 

Edited by Casper

What if a car doesn't have a current mot which expired before Mar 30th doesn't effect me but was talking to a mechanic friend of mine on the telephone the other day he's currently repairing a car for himself which when ready would need an mot 

or is it parked up for 6 months ? Though we might all be . 

3 minutes ago, Casper said:

What if a car doesn't have a current mot which expired before Mar 30th doesn't effect me but was talking to a mechanic friend of mine on the telephone the other day he's currently repairing a car for himself which when ready would need an mot 

or is it parked up for 6 months ? Though we might all be . 

my understanding is if your car is out of mot after mar 30th you will get 6 month exemption, if your car mot ran out of mot before , or failed a mot, exemption does not apply.

quite sensible really otherwise we would all be selling scrap with 6 months mot :lol:

38 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

quite sensible really otherwise we would all be selling scrap with 6 months mot :lol:

I've always gone the extra mile. All my scrap comes with 12 months MOT :lol:

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I've always gone the extra mile. All my scrap comes with 12 months MOT :lol:

Lol :lol:

6 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

my understanding is if your car is out of mot after mar 30th you will get 6 month exemption, if your car mot ran out of mot before , or failed a mot, exemption does not apply.

Yeah a get that and totally agree . Especially about the failed mot thing and no mot not getting the extension but wasn't sure if they would allow testers to log on for testing  for vehicles that had expired mots .

its like some garages are open for essentials repairs can they still test if required at there discretion so if a car failed its mot on friday would that mean they couldnt retest it today if all test are suspended 

and if your mot expired Friday could you not take it today for an mot Today ? If thats the case it would mean cars being off the road 6 months and not able to be driven legal .

Not sure though i did notice the extensions are been added on now . Checked a car that was due April and it now states mot expiry is October   

Edited by Casper

24 minutes ago, Casper said:

Lol :lol:

Yeah a get that and totally agree . Especially about the failed mot thing and no mot not getting the extension but wasn't sure if they would allow testers to log on for testing  for vehicles that had expired mots .

its like some garages are open for essentials repairs can they still test if required at there discretion so if a car failed its mot on friday would that mean they couldnt retest it today if all test are suspended 

and if your mot expired Friday could you not take it today for an mot Today ? If thats the case it would mean cars being off the road 6 months and not able to be driven legal .

Not sure thought i did notice the extensions are been added on now . Checked a car that was due April and it now states mot expiry is October   

Mot testing is NOT suspended, but phone first, the testing station i use is CLOSED, due to customers not complying with the government advice.

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

Mot testing is NOT suspended, but phone first, the testing station i use is CLOSED, due to customers not complying with the government advice.

Thank you for the clarification on this . Was told by a worker of a local garage just before lock down that dvsa has called stopped them testing after 30th Mar which i found odd for the above reasons he's maybe just telling people this instead of saying hes not want to do them due to the virus guess it looks better to his customers . Another garage is stopping tests next weeks but guess it downs to there own discretion 

friends of mine own a couple of sales places and a workshop as well as an mot station as well as other non motor trade business and have closed them all due  to the virus for public and staff safety .even the ones that could have remained open outwith the sales 

Edited by Casper

We’re still open and doing Mot’s, very little though. It’s only myself and the apprentice working. He had the option to stay off but he prefers to be in work.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

We’re still open and doing Mot’s, very little though. It’s only myself and the apprentice working. He had the option to stay off but he prefers to be in work.

Thanks Mark just wondered how that would work in the situations i mentioned . 

Stay safe mate and take care 

Another problem with the 6 month extension is the glut of MOTs that will come due later in the year, followed by a big reduction in demand around this time next year. Workshops will be flat out doing MOTs around mid autumn, MOT slots could become like gold dust. Then in the spring there will be no demand. Could take a few years to filter the bottleneck out of the system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CRW said:

Another problem with the 6 month extension is the glut of MOTs that will come due later in the year, followed by a big reduction in demand around this time next year. Workshops will be flat out doing MOTs around mid autumn, MOT slots could become like gold dust. Then in the spring there will be no demand. Could take a few years to filter the bottleneck out of the system.

And the elephant in the room

A price increase endorsed by her majestic

V5c up to £40 in line with reappraisal of wages

Lots of mot stations already gone to the wall,hopefully most of them are the ones that do remote testing

2 hours ago, Casper said:

Thanks Mark just wondered how that would work in the situations i mentioned . 

Stay safe mate and take care 

Same to yourself mate 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CRW said:

Agree with you there even before all this come out with the virus they were loads-of mot centres for sale and closing in this area  so it only going to get worst 

Edited by Casper

34 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

today this has been extended :unsure: the link above is now out of date updates coming soon 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020#history

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-mots-for-cars-vans-and-motorcycles-due-before-30-march-2020

So no paper copy either if your car passes

It's the future

Paperless

Two of my vehicles MOTs have been automatically renewed by 6 months! Happy days. 

19 hours ago, Umer said:

Two of my vehicles MOTs have been automatically renewed by 6 months! Happy days. 

why happy days ? not keeping up to the 12 months will look bad in any future resale value surely ?

if you’re not self-isolating or extremely vulnerable from coronavirus.

MOT centres and garages are allowed to stay open for you to do this. You can use any open MOT centre.

You should only get your vehicle’s MOT done if you need to use it:

to shop for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

for any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

to travel for work purposes