Sign in to follow this  
Steve92

Rav4's any good ?

How popular are the likes of Rav4's or Mitsubishi Pinins? I was originally going to look at the Suzuki swift automatic as a cheap run around for the wife but she saw a pinin while on holiday and liked it.

i'm aware the pinin rusts underneath and the RAV4 has gearbox ecu gremlins, her office is looking at relocating in August next year and while a £500 banger would be cost effective the Pinins and raves seem to be around 2-4K but what I don't want to do is get stuck with it. Oh and they must be the 3 door.

I used to stock Pinins quite regularly in the winter months and they always flew out the door quickly, mainly because they are right in most peoples budgets.

Never had one back under warranty but always stuck to petrol and sub 80k with good/full history.

• Like 1

I've noticed some of the lower mileage Pinins don't stay on auto trader long, it would be the 2.0 petrol auto we would go for. Rav has more power and seems to be more car like but they never seem to move unless I'm looking at the wrong ones ?

Does it have to be an Auto?

Rav4 petrols I always tend to fly out the door especially clean examples of the older ones. Being a Toyota most of the time they are well serviced so you can afford to be picky on what you buy. Never had one back - Petrol or Diesel which speaks volumes. 

• Like 1

Yes it has to be an auto, the wife misses the old Saab 9-5 auto we had. I would have another but she wants something much smaller, around 4mtr or less. The other option was a merc a class, these are much better inside than either of the plasticky pinin or Rav.

Only other thing on the pinnin is ticky sounding GDI engine

What about a Vitara?

if its a choice between the two I'd edge for the Toyota, does it need to be a 4x4? prices will be high at the moment for these, obviously not the best time to buy. find getting hold of either very hard, don't see many turning up at auctions (that are in a decent state with less than 100k) so I'd grab either if you can, as long as its petrol and auto in good nick, not been abused and serviced. Also the new A class is a completely different car than the old A class box and the 2-3 new shape ones I've had sold very quick, expensive for what you get now, and again don't see many around unless you buy from main agent

• Like 1

No it doesn't need to be a 4x4 she just liked the height and compactness of the Pinin. There are more rav4's about than Pinins. I do like the A Class it does look a nice car and speaking to our mechanic the ones they have seen have been in good shape. I can also get a newer A Class than a RAV4, I'm not fussed about bodywork, I just want it to be mechanically good with good quality tyres and useable brakes, in fact i usually change the front discs and pads just so I know it's got good quality ones on. 

Most mercs are diesel though and I would much prefer a petrol but the 170 is rarer.