JXB

Value of Auto Trader

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I've recently taken over the digital marketing efforts of an independent dealer and have begun reviewing the ROI of platforms such as Auto Trader.

For its cost per month, it doesn't provide anywhere near the value of organic search/social or paid search/social.

Do many dealers on here run reduced marketing on AutoTrader and if so, can you still generate enough leads?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Hi JXB - it's a topic done to death on here if you search through.  I haven't used the robbers for years, but many swear by them (and at them). 

I often find with questions like these, what every one is doing is of very little importance to me, facebook doesnt work for other dealers do i care umm nope it works for me and thats all the info i need. 

welcome to the forum by the way.

Edited by justina3

11 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I often find with questions like these, what every one is doing is of very little importance to me, facebook doesnt work for other dealers do i care umm nope it works for me and thats all the info i need. 

About the top and bottom of how it all works that is . always will be too i would think 

1 hour ago, JXB said:

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I've recently taken over the digital marketing efforts of an independent dealer and have begun reviewing the ROI of platforms such as Auto Trader.

For its cost per month, it doesn't provide anywhere near the value of organic search/social or paid search/social.

Do many dealers on here run reduced marketing on AutoTrader and if so, can you still generate enough leads?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

The problem is while ROI on facebook is great it doesn't do the volume. I know that sounds stupid to say because "just spend more then because you have good ROI" but there comes a point where I can't get anymore buyers off Facebook in a month and not everyone will naturally find their car on there. You must use everything available.

I get what you're saying though; maybe some are spending too much in one place and need to redress that balance?

Edited by Mojo121

7 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

The problem is while ROI on facebook is great it doesn't do the volume. I know that sounds stupid to say because "just spend more then because you have good ROI" but there comes a point where I can't get anymore buyers off Facebook in a month and not everyone will naturally find their car on there. You must use everything available.

I get what you're saying though; maybe some are spending too much in one place and need to redress that balance?

This is where I'm heading I think. Can't imagine boycotting AT all together but there's definitely space to be pushing Facebook a lot more than currently and reduce budgets elsewhere.

Thanks for your help anyway!

49 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Yeah, feels like a trial and error process but always seems like AT are exploiting their position.

We have hit a point where certain cars work very well for certain platforms given the right understanding of these platforms and the right use.    I mean why would you want to push a car on AT that has a high marker that looks great value for money, with no price marker,  at  £249 per month on facebook.   Things change. 

1 hour ago, JXB said:

This is where I'm heading I think. Can't imagine boycotting AT all together but there's definitely space to be pushing Facebook a lot more than currently and reduce budgets elsewhere.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Yeah, feels like a trial and error process but always seems like AT are exploiting their position.

100% agree its trial and error for us before we take any action we always have our own stats to back it up, I have a small indi dealer close to me with 3 sales staff if they do not fill in where they heard from you and what influenced the customer to pick that dealer questionnaire they have the sales person loses that commission three strikes and they lose the months commission, point being i think everyone is now looking at where to put there money a lot more than we have in the past thanks to the arrogance of autotrader.