Grantlfc81

Auto trader price markers

Ok so I i have purchased today  a 60 plate c220cdi sport auto 4 door in white, white being the important factor here.  I paid £3800 including fees and delivery. The cheapest one I can find with similar age and mileage is £5595 which is private, then they start at £6200 ish for dealers. EVERY Single car in white is priced HIGH..

How can this be? I want to sell mine way below the others at £5795 but it’s still going to be priced high.

average market retail is £4700 ish!  What a load of nonsense.  Autotrader are having a nightmare with these price markers.

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Ok so I i have purchased today  a 60 plate c220cdi sport auto 4 door in white, white being the important factor here.  I paid £3800 including fees and delivery. The cheapest one I can find with similar age and mileage is £5595 which is private, then they start at £6200 ish for dealers. EVERY Single car in white is priced HIGH..

How can this be? I want to sell mine way below the others at £5795 but it’s still going to be priced high.

average market retail is £4700 ish!  What a load of nonsense.  Autotrader are having a nightmare with these price markers.

Daft isn't it they obv don't take colour etc into account like the buyer would 

Autotrader look at Make, Model and Mileage - the end.

No consideration for:

Desirable colour (change the spec to an expensive option)

Number of Owners

Service History

Tyre Condition

Condition Generally

It is a complete farce.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, have a word with the wife said:

It is ultimately the customer that controls the market, they're not daft nowadays, not autotrader, the customer can look past this bollox, good luck :)

i totally disagree.What they will see is an oppurtunity to say the car is priced too high.

But still want a discount when its priced great. Like the family who are with me now.....

2 hours ago, beckly car sales said:

i totally disagree.What they will see is an oppurtunity to say the car is priced too high.

they are daft

On 12/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, have a word with the wife said:

It is ultimately the customer that controls the market, they're not daft nowadays, not autotrader, the customer can look past this bollox, good luck :)

Bang on, I absolutely agree. 

"At the end of the day Mr Customer, go and try and buy a car from AT...... you can't, because they do NOT actually sell cars....... Their stupid algorithms are totally wrong and biased towards CHEAP, the private sellers or rogue trader who are selling bent falsely described death traps. If that's what you are looking for then you are looking at the wrong seller." 

Edited by Arfur Dealy
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

"At the end of the day Mr Customer, go and try and buy a car from AT...... you can't, because they do NOT actually sell cars....... Their stupid algorithms are totally wrong and biased towards CHEAP, the private sellers or rogue trader who are selling bent falsely described death traps. If that's what you are looking for then you are looking at the wrong seller." 

You’re right of course but the issue is, will these people actually engage with you in the first place or just bypass your listing because it is shown as being too expensive. Maybe time for a video explanation as part of your intros Simon?

1 minute ago, Mark101 said:

You’re right of course but the issue is, will these people actually engage with you in the first place or just bypass your listing because it is shown as being too expensive. Maybe time for a video explanation as part of your intros Simon?

I not in the business in trying to attract customers who are solely looking for "cheap." Some people buy from Primark, some people buy from John Lewis ...... Not everyone is a Primark buyer...... 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

You’re right of course but the issue is, will these people actually engage with you in the first place or just bypass your listing because it is shown as being too expensive. 

How many times do you hear, " i am sick of looking at other cars, and this is the best, i should have come here first " because i get it, and then i explain exactly why my car is allegedly ten bob dearer.

5 hours ago, beckly car sales said:

bang on exactly, and this is where you explain your business and the merits for buying from you, i have just this minute replied to a message from a punter where we have actually spoke earlier , he has viewed [ and i dam well know he has been looking all day at cheaper] my car and he is asking if i can put it on his drive xmas eve, of course i can !

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

How many times do you hear, " i am sick of looking at other cars, and this is the best, i should have come here first " because i get it, and then i explain exactly why my car is allegedly ten bob dearer.

bang on exactly, and this is where you explain your business and the merits for buying from you, i have just this minute replied to a message from a punter where we have actually spoke earlier , he has viewed [ and i dam well know he has been looking all day at cheaper] my car and he is asking if i can put it on his drive xmas eve, of course i can !

It will just compound how important it is to offer an honest, upfront, transparent video which gives you the opportunity to sell the car.

Pictures are fine, but they also just attract dreamers with preconceived ideas. 

In a video, not only do you describe the car accurately you can also sell the benefits of buying from you. As I say “people buy from people”. 

Edited by Arfur Dealy

2 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Can’t bypass you if every single white cars high. Just do what you would always do price to Market. I paid no attention to autotrader retail prices before this and the markers make no difference to me.

i have 2 / 3 c class coupes all showing high. Will realign at some stage.

4 minutes ago, Rory RSC said:

i have 2 / 3 c class coupes all showing high. Will realign at some stage.

Are they better news than an E? Both of mine have sold (finally).

On 12/19/2019 at 9:20 PM, Grantlfc81 said:

• Members
  • 2 posts

Autotrader price indicators.Want a way to get rid of them till they sort the mess out.Remove the mileage from the mileage box and either put 1 or 0 then in the attention grabber put the mileage the car has done.Price indicators gone.If you don't upload your adverts directly to dealer portal then you will need to put 1 mile and then the mileage in the subtitle/extra info box.Autotrader have wreaked havoc doing this and until they sort out how to value a car thats one owner/full service history/lovely condition to a pile of scrap being sold by a kirbside trader with no back up after sale they should remove the price indicators and have a re-think..

• Members
  • 2 posts

Autotrader price indicators.Want a way to get rid of them till they sort the mess out.Remove the mileage from the mileage box and either put 1 or 0 then in the attention grabber put the mileage the car has done.Price indicators gone.If you don't upload your adverts directly to dealer portal then you will need to put 1 mile and then the mileage in the subtitle/extra info box.Autotrader have wreaked havoc doing this and until they sort out how to value a car thats one owner/full service history/lovely condition to a pile of scrap being sold by a kirbside trader with no back up after sale they should remove the price indicators and have a re-think.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, Arfur Dealy said:

• Members
  • 2 posts

Autotrader price indicators.Want a way to get rid of them till they sort the mess out.Remove the mileage from the mileage box and either put 1 or 0 then in the attention grabber put the mileage the car has done.Price indicators gone.If you don't upload your adverts directly to dealer portal then you will need to put 1 mile and then the mileage in the subtitle/extra info box.Autotrader have wreaked havoc doing this and until they sort out how to value a car thats one owner/full service history/lovely condition to a pile of scrap being sold by a kirbside trader with no back up after sale they should remove the price indicators and have a re-think.