jimreidvehicle

Online retailer Carspring takes used-car market to customer’s door

Thanks to Umesh for forwarding this link. What does everyone think? I firmly believe that this is the future of car retailing. Some of my concerns are more to do with the Distance selling and signing of finance off site, if these regulations can be changed I think that this is definitely the future. 

What does everyone else think?

Jim

CARSPRING, a new online retail platform, has launched in the UK promising to radically alter the way customers buy and sell pre-owned cars.

By delivering a fully inspected vehicle straight to the buyer’s door within a week of purchase, and with a 14-day refund guarantee if they aren’t satisfied, Carspring removes the need for customers to view or drive the car.

For those selling a car the firm provides an online quote followed up by a free inspection, valuation and listing on the Carspring website. What’s more, if the car doesn’t sell on its website within 30 days, Carspring will buy it themselves.

In recent years, online shopping has increased massively, however used-car consumers still prefer to travel to dealerships before making a purchasing decision. According to a report by Carspring’s team – pictured above – 7.2 million cars were sold in Britain last year. Of these, 85 per cent of buyers opt to visit the dealership in the final decision-making stages.

Carspring’s founder, Max Vollenbroich, said: ‘Today, e-commerce is king, but the secondhand car market has struggled to evolve with the digital age, in the way we’ve seen happen in most other sectors.’

The report attributed this to a lack of trust in existing online used car platforms and that cars are such a high cost purchase.

Vollenbroich continued: ‘People would visit a dealership five times before making up their mind, but now they’re window shopped online and only go out to ‘test drive’ their chosen car to settle their decision on such a pricey item. But with Carspring, there’s no need to do even that, as our experts vet the cars themselves before they appear on our website and we offer a full refund if the customer isn’t happy.’

Carspring wants consumers to think of the platform as a ‘car concierge’ service, guiding buyers through model choices, explaining jargon and highlighting normally hidden costs.

• Like 1

Everyone wants 'EASY' Thats why Amazon is so successful ,'Click - and its delivered' , I'm trying to push with my video's that you can see a full walk-around HD video of the car , up to 60 images , accurate descriptions etc etc , but not sure if people are 'just' ready as yet to click and buy a used car , maybe the younger generation coming up may think a bit different - but Jim I think you're right we have to be ready to grasp it and with slight tweaks to the regulations is what is needed to give us all the confidence to sell without worry And in all reality most of do the job right so no need to worry about cars being sent back ! I have a customer in Torquay who always buys by looking on the website -  "I fancy this - how much for mine " and the car gets delivered to his door ! #RavingFans  #easy 

• Like 2

We do a few deliveries and sell cars over the phone. I think also it will play a huge part in the future of the trade. For many people cars are simply white goods.

My main concern with them is customers going legal on us and wanting to cancel although as of yet not an issue. I do have very good faith in my cars but sometimes things just go wrong or alternatively customers can be a bit loopy. We had a Mazda MX5 that we delivered from Cheshire to the South coast. Customer was a bit annoyed when they realised it was a 2 seater and not a 4 seater MX5 like the other ones they had looked at in person....

• Like 2

I have a customer in Torquay who always buys by looking on the website

GET OFF MY LAND .... :P 

I think it is definitely the future. But like Umesh says, they aren't quite ready for it. I can see a problem with distance regarding complaints and finance. Once this has been ironed out by the likes of car spring and others it is something that everyone should jump on board with.

• Like 1

Its the future, good luck to them I say, if they guarantee to buy after 30 days sounds like a no brainer depending upon their valuation (there'll be some clause that this doesn't apply to trade no doubt)  may lead to people buying purely on cost. if there's 10 very similar ford focus, same mileage/age/condition etc. then its the cheapest that will win the business so I'd assume I'd have to reduce my price to have a chance, cutting into my already slim margins. I pride myself on the experience when customers arrive for test drives/service etc. pleasant, no hassle environment, not necessarily the cheapest but clean, well prepped and serviced, I have sold unseen to scotland, newcastle, even IOM recently but majority want to get in the car and "feel" it before they buy

Might be alright for you guys selling nearly new but I can't see me doing this with my old bangers?:D

But seriously, its nothing new, the auction houses already do this pick/click/buy/ deliver thing, don't they?

I think this might work for cars that are almost new but not for cars that are more 'used'. Images on older cars often don't show the whole picture,you have to see it in the flesh, nearly new cars are more likely to be accurately described.

It might also work for someone that wants to buy from a longer distance if they can't find one closer to home and already are familiar with that make or model.

I know quite a few people who buy from Japanese auctions but you ain't gonna return it to Japan if your not happy ;)

I think this might work for cars that are almost new but not for cars that are more 'used'. Images on older cars often don't show the whole picture,you have to see it in the flesh, nearly new cars are more likely to be accurately described.

It might also work for someone that wants to buy from a longer distance if they can't find one closer to home and already are familiar with that make or model.

I know quite a few people who buy from Japanese auctions but you ain't gonna return it to Japan if your not happy ;)

As regards the Japanese auctions, I understand that all lots are viewed through terminals even on site and all bidding is therefore electronic. But, and this is a huge but, the whole system relies on honest and accurate descriptions of all vehicles by their auction houses! In that respect they are much further down the metaphorical road than our auction houses with vague/conservative descriptions?