the old novice

introducing myself.........

Our existing business(transport) tends to go a bit quiet in the winter. So I've often bought a few auction cars to keep a flow of  work going through the workshop. Stuff im buying tends to be from £2,000-£4,000.I'm trying to do things right and get my cars presented to a decent standard and offered with a full mot. The one thing I have realised though is that my car buying 'compass' is in severe need of a remap!.....If I've bought something that was nice (in my opinion)with a good history etc and been confident that it would move quick, invariably its been hanging around and had to be price dropped down to nigh on break even and yet stuff that was high mileage/poor or no history has gone pronto.Just took a hefty blow on a golf with a DSG 'box.Probably doing 2 cars a month .Enjoying the forum and finding it useful

Welcome, I guess we all find what sort of cars are good news and what are bad news. However I’m sure we’ve all had a type of car that sells quickly whenever you get one in stock then all of a sudden one stalls & is there 6 months. 

Welcome! Its a funny old game. Everything that has moved super fast, I've bought more of and not opened the door on them for months.

Funny isn't it!

I find I have more luck with some brands than others although it maybe down to my enthusiasm level rather than the car itself? Hard to say,

Good luck : )

9 hours ago, the old novice said:

If I've bought something that was nice (in my opinion)with a good history etc and been confident that it would move quick, invariably its been hanging around and had to be price dropped down to nigh on break even and yet stuff that was high mileage/poor or no history has gone pronto.

Almost every time this happens (except I rarely price drop, just sit it out)

I am guessing your miley, no history gear is cheaper and unfortunately, cheap always outsells proper gear. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, I have zero tolerance for the punters they attract.

Edited by Mark101

Hi Mark101

Even with the higher mileage/poor history stuff i've maybe bought newer to keep the prices to a minimum of £2000,like yourself i have a low tolerance level to  some bulls knacker bringing his mate round who is a master mechanic for Lada or some other such premium brand,then watch as he struggles to open the bonnet.Priceless!!

Hi

Good intro.We all get stuck with stuff and get it wrong.At least with cheaper stuff,the downside is reduced.You have a workshop,it is a sideline,why not try some higher risk stuff.Big petrol barges with a new test.Some people say that if you want to make money in this job ‘ you have to swim upstream ‘ .

2 hours ago, the old novice said:

Hi Mark101

Even with the higher mileage/poor history stuff i've maybe bought newer to keep the prices to a minimum of £2000,like yourself i have a low tolerance level to  some bulls knacker bringing his mate round who is a master mechanic for Lada or some other such premium brand,then watch as he struggles to open the bonnet.Priceless!!

HI Old Novice . Welcome aboard 

Bet you just watch the experts struggle with that bonnet don't you :D. I do then stop them taking any caps off , big no no round here. 

Seen all the tricks they get up to with removing caps .

6 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Bet you just watch the experts struggle with that bonnet don't you :D

When a Johnny Big Balls know-all mechanic start their gobshiteing (if there’s such a word) and fall at the first hurdle of trying to open a bonnet I’m the master of going silent & standing back watching them get flustered. It’s usually after about 90 seconds of making a twat of themselves (90 seconds is a long time with someone staring at you) in front of the potential buyer that they ask for help. It’s at that point I pounce............

when the car buyers expert friend says "there's nowt i dont know about cars" is when you just know that in reality he's actually just bought a snap on beanie hat off ebay dipped it in some engine oil and watched a few you tube vids.....i think i might buy a dog and train it to bite people with snap on merch.

Welcome aboard the forum and motor trader family and community here and thank you for the introduction good luck . 

49 minutes ago, the old novice said:

a snap on beanie hat off ebay

Had one of those on Toyota , Bought the car and came back with his mate dressed from top to toe in SNAP ON , hat , coat boots gloves the bloody lot was brand new :lol:

They came back to announce the clutch was make a loud clicking noise , metallic click Mr Snap On  said . 

My son confronted him with , " Mate its the Air Con Clicking " and proceeded to explain how the air con worked and why it clicked , then pointed to where the clutch was and said" its on the other side of the car pal  , "  I chirped up that i thought he would have known that dressed in SNAP ON :lol:

Then they left 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Had one of those on Toyota , Bought the car and came back with his mate dressed from top to toe in SNAP ON , hat , coat boots gloves the bloody lot was brand new :lol:

They came back to announce the clutch was make a loud clicking noise , metallic click Mr Snap On  said . 

My son confronted him with , " Mate its the Air Con Clicking " and proceeded to explain how the air con worked and why it clicked , then pointed to where the clutch was and said" its on the other side of the car pal  , "  I chirped up that i thought he would have known that dressed in SNAP ON :lol:

Then they left 

Now That's funny 

5 hours ago, the old novice said:

Hi Mark 101

No need to use my surname, Mark will do :lol:

2 hours ago, BHM said:

When a Johnny Big Balls know-all mechanic start their gobshiteing (if there’s such a word) and fall at the first hurdle of trying to open a bonnet I’m the master of going silent & standing back watching them get flustered. It’s usually after about 90 seconds of making a twat of themselves (90 seconds is a long time with someone staring at you) in front of the potential buyer that they ask for help. It’s at that point I pounce............

Ford badges which conceal the bonnet release used to be a favourite, even happened the other week on a Ford Connect.....priceless.

• Haha 1