drifter17a

Selling trade cars

Hi all,

two questions, when you buy a car from another trade who has filled the yellow slip, what can you do? I have called dvla and they said original trader needs to write to them and they normally say on but never happens

two, when you sell a car, what section do you fill in in the v5? I asked the buyer to fill new buyer section and that is it, i don’t fill existing seller details as I wasn’t previous owner but rather current trader. Should i fill the previous owner signature bit?

thanks

14 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Hi all,

two questions, when you buy a car from another trade who has filled the yellow slip, what can you do? I have called dvla and they said original trader needs to write to them and they normally say on but never happens

two, when you sell a car, what section do you fill in in the v5? I asked the buyer to fill new buyer section and that is it, i don’t fill existing seller details as I wasn’t previous owner but rather current trader. Should i fill the previous owner signature bit?

thanks

The previous owner part you can sign you name and put in brackets car dealer or car trader - seller etc just your own name and the v5 always come back 

I don’t have trade plates so tax it using new owner slip and then when sold new owner again taxes it using that

sold my first car and think she was able to tax it else would have called me. Can you tax and sorn it multiple times using new v5/2 owner slip?

10 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

I don’t have trade plates so tax it using new owner slip and then when sold new owner again taxes it using that

sold my first car and think she was able to tax it else would have called me. Can you tax and sorn it multiple times using new v5/2 owner slip?

Yes you can use the same number 

All you need to know is in this thread as for buying a car from another trader the other option is print three copies of a signed invoice by both parties on company headed paper and pop a letter off to the dvla saying you have bought the car and are in the trade so you wish the car to remain in the trade and you will send off the v5 with new keepers details when sold .

Edited by Casper

Slightly off topic but what do auction houses do? Must take forever to inform DVLA of every car sold back into trade? 

10 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Slightly off topic but what do auction houses do? Must take forever to inform DVLA of every car sold back into trade? 

interesting thought though i might be wrong but I always thought it just went down as owned in the trade which was why you got the full v5 etc as trade buyer .. as was always told if i bought a car from another trader was just to get a signed and dated invoice   

Edited by Casper

47 minutes ago, Casper said:

interesting thought though i might be wrong but I always thought it just went down as owned in the trade which was why you got the full v5 etc as trade buyer .. as was always told if i bought a car from another trader was just to get a signed and dated invoice   

All the yellow slips are completed online casper at Auction and if I bought a car at auction it would be in my trade name on DVLA Records , If I then sold you that same car I write to DVLA and give them your Trade name . Our exchanged invoices prove ownership of the car . 

19 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Well who pays the ticket if driven  or parking ticket?

If you have a car bought from a trader who has not told DVLA its now yours he/she would get the NIP " notice of prosecution " as the car would be recorded as theirs still on DVLA Records .

He/she would then return the NIP with your details and a copy of the invoice between yourselves . You are then liable unless you can prove it was not you .

Hence with test drives you need to record the drivers details who was driving , Photo copy their licence and write eg 22nd sept 3pm White fiesta , AB 14 ABC returned at 3.25 pm just incase they speed thru a camera and the NIP comes to you . 

12 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

All the yellow slips are completed online casper at Auction and if I bought a car at auction it would be in my trade name on DVLA Records , If I then sold you that same car I write to DVLA and give them your Trade name . Our exchanged invoices prove ownership of the car

My point is though the yellow slip would of already been filled in by the dealership/buying service that took the car in as p/x. So the V5 would arrive at the auction with no yellow section.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

All the yellow slips are completed online casper at Auction and if I bought a car at auction it would be in my trade name on DVLA Records , If I then sold you that same car I write to DVLA and give them your Trade name . Our exchanged invoices prove ownership of the car . 

Thanks David cars I've bought from others traders I've always notified the dvla with a letter and signed invoice as above  . Just incase the other trader hasn't

interesting to here about the way the auction works never really thought of it before .

27 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Well who pays the ticket if driven  or parking ticket?

dvla does not seem to record this

The ticket would reach the current owner eventually 

example 

registered keeper sell cars say no longer own car when ticket arrives  

sold it to  Abc ford 

Abc Ford sold it at Bca

def cars purchased it bca inform this its then Sold to ghj cars def informs its now with ghj and has invoice signed and has notified dvla  

So therefore the car was in ownership of ghj cars who are liable

is says on the notice that the is exceptions to the time frame if not driven by the registered keeper at time of offence 

3 minutes ago, Casper said:

Thanks David cars I've bought from others traders I've always notified the dvla with a letter and signed invoice as above  . Just incase the other trader hasn't

interesting to here about the way the auction works never really thought of it before .

The ticket would reach the current owner eventually 

example 

registered keeper sell cars say no longer own car when ticket arrives  

sold it to  Abc ford 

Abc Ford sold it at Bca

def cars purchased it bca inform this its then Sold to ghj cars def informs its now with ghj and has invoice signed and has notified dvla  

So therefore the car was in ownership of ghj cars who are liable

is says on the notice that the is exceptions to the time frame if not driven by the registered keeper at time of offence 

When you wrote to them, did they ever reply as a  buyer?

they insist letter has to come from seller

10 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

My point is though the yellow slip would of already been filled in by the dealership/buying service that took the car in as p/x. So the V5 would arrive at the auction with no yellow section.

My guess is the auction houses will have a computer link which staff notifies Dvla of the sale therefore taking it out the trade ownership of say arnold clark then in to the business account holder name at auction but the car still remains in the trade till the v5 is sent with new owner details or as david said a letter saying another trader has possession off car

Edited by Casper

9 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

My point is though the yellow slip would of already been filled in by the dealership/buying service that took the car in as p/x. So the V5 would arrive at the auction with no yellow section

All sales are recorded to DVLA , some at auction come with no yellow slip , some do . We know two girls who work at BCA and their job is to record sales of trader name to DVLA online . 

So if you bought an auction car DVLA would have it in trade as your company name eg Lakeside cars 

2 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

Copy of invoice sorts that out pal , but in reality it doesn't always get reported to DVLA , 

Edited by David Horgan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, drifter17a said:

When you wrote to them, did they ever reply as a  buyer?

asked the seller to-sign the invoice . 

Putting both the buyers and sellers signature  

on company headed paper some time they also rubber stamp it with garage stamp as well as signing 

Edited by Casper

6 hours ago, David Horgan said:

All sales are recorded to DVLA , some at auction come with no yellow slip , some do . We know two girls who work at BCA and their job is to record sales of trader name to DVLA online.

Exactly this received NIP after we sold car to a fellow trader, DVLA had our details.

27 minutes ago, trader555 said:

Exactly this received NIP after we sold car to a fellow trader, DVLA had our details.

NIP for speeding - details will be off the MID rather than DVLA.

NIP for a parking ticket that has escalated will usually bounce as the car will show as in trade - so no owner / registered keeper. 

11 hours ago, TangoVictor32 said:

NIP for speeding - details will be off the MID rather than DVLA.

Hi

How does a car in trade that's not on the MID get a NIP sent to my house 4 days after my customer went through a camera quoting the reg number on the NIP , so its not the trade plate number that they quoted but trade plates are on the MID . Was we found by trade plate number then ? 

• Like 1

I remember a funny story years ago with an old boss bought a c max damaged repairable with rear damage with no number plates had the trade plates on it and caught speeding  with a camera they sent photos which were blurry and he said he. Couldn't be sure who was driving so they sent new photos blown up and you could see his face clearly down to logo on the marlabo cigarette he was smoking at the time was a big arrow written on it with a sharpie pointing to his face it said IS THIS YOU ! in big capitals 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Hi

How does a car in trade that's not on the MID get a NIP sent to my house 4 days after my customer went through a camera quoting the reg number on the NIP , so its not the trade plate number that they quoted but trade plates are on the MID . Was we found by trade plate number then ? 

You answered it yourself... Trade plates

6 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

Guess its a bit like the c max i mentioned which had no number plates fitted but had the trade plate on it . 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TangoVictor32 said:

But if I'm honest they were in the screen half hidden , On the NIP there was NO mention of the plate number , Just the cars reg plate . Plus the plates are registered at the garage and the car was from BCA who have my house as the registered address which is were the NIP was posted to. 

That's why I'm thinking the camera crew picked it up from DVLA 

Was quite funny too as I told the test driver the Camera van was there , two cars flashed their lights and he ignored all the hints :rolleyes: just said these cars are quick aren't they :o so 43 mph cost him points and a £100 silly guy :lol:

Not that i like the robbing money making low life's that sit in the fecking vans robbing people mind , remember the days when Cops told folk to slow down , much better system wasn't it  . 

2 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

But if I'm honest they were in the screen half hidden , On the NIP there was NO mention of the plate number , Just the cars reg plate . Plus the plates are registered at the garage and the car was from BCA who have my house as the registered address which is were the NIP was posted to. 

Was quite funny too as I told the test driver the Camera van was there , two cars flashed their lights and he ignored all the hints :rolleyes: just said these cars are quick aren't they :o so 43 mph cost him points and a £100 silly guy :lol:

Not that i like the robbing money making low life's that sit in the fecking vans robbing people mind , remember the days when Cops told folk to slow down , much better system wasn't it  . 

They still do  in Scotland if there decent friend of mind got stopped doing 37 in a 30 and they told him to slow down in future and watch how he drives 

I remember same guy driving a car in a 30 once was travelling about 38 clocked police with a speed gun and braked seen the officer put his gun down and shake his head guess he got it down far enough to be within the tolerances which i think is about 34 . 

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

Just the cars reg plate . Plus the plates are registered at the garage and the car was from BCA who have my house as the registered address which is were the NIP was posted to. 

The more info available at different sources the better chance for enforcement action