exdisplay81

Ford Transit With "Low Mileage"

I have been looking at a ford transit van (24k miles and it's 2003).

My only concern is the mileage history is a bit worrying, whilst it may have had a genuine engine swap would this put anyone else off buying it. The seller has come down quite a lot in price and it seems like a good deal.

1 hour ago, MarkTVS said:

A 2003 transit? Probably as structurally solid as the titanic :blink:

Yeah lol, i managed to haggle him down to a cheap price but i have done a U-turn on the idea now, check out the MOT history: FA03 OBR - Yikes!

Interesting.

Only 2 owners and he's had it since 28/07/2019

The fact it seems to be doing very little mileage each year then jumps by 100,000 in 12 months would make you think the tester has got it wrong. But twice?

Is there any service history?

5 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Interesting.

Only 2 owners and he's had it since 28/07/2019

The fact it seems to be doing very little mileage each year then jumps by 100,000 in 12 months would make you think the tester has got it wrong. But twice?

Is there any service history?

Personally, i can't see it being wrong twice (hence the U-turn). It was set to zero on 15th July 2013, then 1204 on 13th July 2015 - if the MOT tester got it wrong i would suspect it would be because he added an extra digit or one less by the means of a typo.

1 hour ago, exdisplay81 said:

Personally, i can't see it being wrong twice (hence the U-turn). It was set to zero on 15th July 2013, then 1204 on 13th July 2015 - if the MOT tester got it wrong i would suspect it would be because he added an extra digit or one less by the means of a typo.

Not worth buying! lol you did a good thing making a u turn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NacMan said:

Not worth buying! lol you did a good thing making a u turn

It depends on its value and what seller wants  if poster is buying it to use for himself as a cheap van does it really matter say on an £800-£900 transit wouldn't bother me if it was just a cheap runabout 

Though if buying to sell on it would put a lot of people off .and from a buyers prospective would look for one with good mot history but again its old van and things get to a value where thats really it and mileage etc don't matter so should probably be bought and valued on condition of the mechanics body work sills etc thats my take . 

Edited by Casper

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Its depends on its value and what seller wants  if poster is buying it to use for himself as a cheap van does it really matter say on £800-£900 transit wouldn't bother me if it was just a cheap runabout 

Though if buying to sell on it would put a lot of people off .

Ye I suppose but even still it seems dodgy as hell

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casper said:

It depends on its value and what seller wants  if poster is buying it to use for himself as a cheap van does it really matter say on an £800-£900 transit wouldn't bother me if it was just a cheap runabout 

Though if buying to sell on it would put a lot of people off .and from a buyers prospective would look for one with good mot history but again its old van and things get to a value where thats really it and mileage etc don't matter so should probably be bought and valued on condition of the mechanics body work sills etc thats my take . 

Too right. Mind you, when selling even the peasant buyers of cars at scrap money expect the earth.