Grantlfc81

Audi VW TFSI 1.8 - 2.0 petrol 2008-2012 do not buy

As some of you know I buy ALOT of German cars, it’s taken a while to perfect the buying but we are pretty much there with only the odd surprise here and there as expected with the motor trade.

One thing that is consistent is the guarantee that 1 in 3 from auction, 1.8 - 2.0 Tfsi petrol cars between 2008 - 2012 ish will burn more oil than it with petrol!  I am now on my 5th Tfsi with a horrendous oil burn problem, using a litre of oil from anywhere from 100 miles to 650 ish miles. 

No sign of smoke, no sign of oil leakage.... it just vanishes very quickly do you will be none the wiser until the customer calls in months time.

So beware guys.... it’s not pretty when it happens and I recommend everyone stay away from them. 

Im just trying to figure if there is a specific  engine code that is actually to blame that I can maybe research before I buy from auction. They sell like hot cakes and is a shame this is happening.

Yes fully aware of the research but it’s taken me a while to really see the full problem the Tfsi has.  I haven’t had any problems with smaller engines or bigger engines.

im going to look at all the cars affected I’ve had and see if they all fall into these engine code categories

—————————

What engines are affected?

The 2.0 and 1.8 TFSI engines prior to 2012. Engine codes known to be affected include CAEB, CDNC and CNDC (list being updated). The problem seems to have been corrected when the facelift was released. But all A5 TFSI engines before that, i.e. 2008 – 2012, are susceptible.

Thanks for the heads up.

Always liked the look of TFSI TTs but never managed to get once for the right price.

One of the guys I bought for wouldn't touch them and bought a lot of Audis just said they had poor engines tfsi though at one stage he bought and sold an early tt and he said it was fine not sure of the source it was one of his purchases at the time there was 3 of us 2 directors me as self employed buyer and 2 managers and various staff at the garages he owned 

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, twerp said:

You never hear about Mk2 TT 2.0 TFSI having this? 

I think its just a bad engine you hear a lot of traders commenting on them at the time the guy i was buying for the garage he owned wouldn't touch at auctions due to problems seen a few nice ones and would he would only reluctantly take them in px if cheap enough probably where the tt came from had about 70 k on it at the time so maybe had past work .. i guess he just meant that particular example was fine he did well with audis for years mostly diesel at the time .  Ive never personally sold a 2.0 tfsi audi due to bad press and him putting me off and now this thread too 

Edited by Casper

It's just TFSI engines that are prone for problems, not to be confused with 1.8T , 2.0, 2.0T engines which are generally ok.

10 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

It's just TFSI engines that are prone for problems, not to be confused with 1.8T , 2.0, 2.0T engines which are generally ok.

Ive Sold a few 1.8 t like you say never a problem with them 

As a good tech friend of mine once said - the FSI badge stands for f***ing silly idea :blink:

39 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

As a good tech friend of mine once said - the FSI badge stands for f***ing silly idea :blink:

Like it :D we could always make the t stand for that or the s to stupid see how many variations we could get lol

Edited by Casper

Well I’m on my 5th oil drinker now. It’s a shame as it actually drives perfect, and I love the drive of the Tfsi engine. Responsive, Smooth and very nippy. 

I have bought and sold well over 40-50 of them so gotta take the rough with the smooth and generally made good profit on all of them. 

I was just alerting you guys that’s all

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Well I’m on my 5th oil drinker now. It’s a shame as it actually drives perfect, and I love the drive of the Tfsi engine. Responsive, Smooth and very nippy. 

I have bought and sold well over 40-50 of them so gotta take the rough with the smooth and generally made good profit on all of them. 

I was just alerting you guys that’s all

Its appreciated always good to help each other out , 

Thank you and all the best .

1:4 also has the problem. In the past I’ve changed 2 of these engines. 

Just now, sellect2 said:

1:4 also has the problem. In the past I’ve changed 2 of these engines. 

Thanks for letting us know . Much appreciated