tradegirl

Someone keeps moving the finish line

1 series in the body shop for a scratch across rear door and quarter.

Took it back 3 times as it wasnt right, and had drips down the paint.

Had it back, it's been sat for a couple of weeks while I waited for my BMW guy to get me in. He's booked me in for tomorrow, so cleaning car ready for photos...stand back, and the door and quarter are a different blue to the rest of the car. FFS!

And yes, I know it's my fault for not checking it before :angry:

I know it's my fault for not checking it before 

nothing more to add.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I know it's my fault for not checking it before 

nothing more to add.

I know. After 3 times I'd had enough of the damn thing.

8 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I know. After 3 times I'd had enough of the damn thing.

after 3 times you should have inspected it minutely,there must be enough paint on the thing now to hang some winter coats

by the way if you are paying half decent prices then the paint should have been blended into the next panel,no iffs no buts with these modern colours as they are not as forgiving as cortina browns:D

find another painter they are obviously hopeless with a KAPITOOL H

Just now, jason doyle motor sales said:

after 3 times you should have inspected it minutely,there must be enough paint on the thing now to hang some winter coats

by the way if you are paying half decent prices then the paint should have been blended into the next panel,no iffs no buts with these modern colours as they are not as forgiving as cortina browns:D

find another painter they are obviously hopeless with a KAPITOOL H

In my defence, it's only blindingly obvious when the sun hits it. But yeah I should have washed it and checked it as soon as I got it.

He's changed unit and workers, and it's a bit of a shambles at the moment. Shambles with a capital SH.... haha

we used to chuck coffee on the big runs when we had them painted in the 80's with sadolin:D

7 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

we used to chuck coffee on the big runs when we had them painted in the 80's with sadolin:D

...woodstain?

Remember a back street painter years ago always had a gb badge for runs in tailgates he also told me before my time the vinyl roof was his friend back in the day .

Can always go back and tell them you've only just noticed and would like it sorting see what they say or you could use someone else to repair don't really see or cant think what other options you have you probably should have checked it but no point crying over spilt milk as my old great auntie used to say

couldn't really sell like that as it probably looks worst than it is from a customer point of view . 

Edited by Casper

I just pay decent money and get a proper job. Got sick of going back to our guy 2-3 times. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

I always buy cars which need little aesthetic prep, unless really cheap and they can wait till be done. 

32 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

...woodstain?

they used to do synthetic paint

you would put it on top of the gas heater at work with the top off until t was boiling and bubbling bang some white spirit in and get it in the gun and squirt it fast

next morning it would shine like a dogs nob with no polishing needed

any runs had gb stickers added or we been to bognor

those were the days

ask yer grandad;)

9 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

I just pay decent money and get a proper job. Got sick of going back to our guy 2-3 times. Enough is enough.

This. It should be flicked in, you can’t just paint two panels. 

Just photographed the damn thing in the shade, and it looks fine. Once the sun hits it, it's like a different car. Maybe I'll just sell it in the shade :lol:

Funnily enough, it wasn't cheap cheap. He charged £300 for the door, the quarter, and to polish the roof and bonnet. So...sort of unacceptable.

Edited by tradegirl

4 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Just photographed the damn thing in the shade, and it looks fine. Once the sun hits it, it's like a different car. Maybe I'll just sell it in the shade :lol:

Or parked tight to the fence lol ( joking ) but some of the old boys on the block can tell some stories 

9 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

they used to do synthetic paint

you would put it on top of the gas heater at work with the top off until t was boiling and bubbling bang some white spirit in and get it in the gun and squirt it fast

next morning it would shine like a dogs nob with no polishing needed

any runs had gb stickers added or we been to bognor

those were the days

ask yer grandad;)

...like a dog's nob....loving the image there Jason haha.

I had no idea they did that, that's pretty clever! Sounds like an easier time, none of this orange peel rubbish.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, tradegirl said:

Funnily enough, it wasn't cheap cheap. He charged £300 for the door, the quarter, and to polish the roof and bonnet. So...sort of unacceptable.

Is that not cheap ? I pay £150 a panel for straight forward paint stuff a little more for the repairs if needed.

4 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Is that not cheap ? I pay £150 a panel for straight forward paint stuff a little more for the repairs if needed.

I'm not sure anymore. It was literally a 4 inch scratch across the bottom of the door and the quarter. Seems excessive.

13 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I'm not sure anymore. It was literally a 4 inch scratch across the bottom of the door and the quarter. Seems excessive.

Proper job means painting both panels and a bit of blending i think you are relatively local to me check out AJM if you dont mind traveling there work is second to non and normally turns stuff around for me in a week.

7 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Doesn't seem cheap to me (considering the issues you've had as well) £80 a panel here and turned around in a couple of days 

Paint... generally £100 a panel and that's blended properly. sometimes its £150 with damage. However, a side is £300 blended, but then sometimes a bonnet is £150, then £200, but it depends on the car and how busy..... wheels are £180... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Paint... generally £100 a panel and that's blended properly. sometimes its £150 with damage. However, a side is £300 blended, but then sometimes a bonnet is £150, then £200, but it depends on the car and how busy..... wheels are £180... 

Thats good for wheels .

got a set done last week cost was £225 

Edited by Casper

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Thats good for wheels .

got a set done last week was £225 

If you want to make money, do paint....

• Like 2

Just now, Arfur Dealy said:

If you want to make money, do paint....

Agreed I should have stuck it at at college did a course for about 6 months then chucked it was meant to be a year can tidy up a cheap runaround but for better stuff not really pro level.

preferred the auctions buying stock at the time with a car dealer friend at the time . To be fair he Did learn me a lot and put up with some of my mistakes back then as a young know it all and we still remain good friends .  

And i still get the odd car for him on the block 

9 minutes ago, Casper said:

Agreed I should have stuck it at at college did a course for about 6 months then chucked it was meant to be a year can tidy up a cheap runaround but for better stuff not really pro level.

preferred the auctions buying stock at the time with a car dealer friend at the time . To be fair he Did learn me a lot and put up with some of my mistakes back then as a young know it all and we still remain good friends .  

And i still get the odd car for him on the block 

:)

19 hours ago, JA Trader said:

Proper job means painting both panels and a bit of blending i think you are relatively local to me check out AJM if you dont mind traveling there work is second to non and normally turns stuff around for me in a week.

Thank you, I'll check them out. Also need a good mechanic in the Walsall/Birmingham/Bromsgrove area if you know one!