Sign in to follow this  
SC Derby

Advertising Cars as 'Due In'

It may just be down to total luck but I have been putting adverts on AT and Ebay for cars 'due in this week' and a couple of pictures (if I have bought them online and they are reasonable pictures and not disgracefully dirty).

I have probably listed circa 15 cars in this way so far this month and have sold 2 before they even arrived, and one more yesterday where the chap booked an appointment the day before and rang every hour since then to see if it was in and valeted yet. One customer said and I quote - 'I clicked on your advert as it looked different from the rest and I knew you hadn't had the car sat around two months'. 

Anyway just thought I'd feed back my experience, and also see if anyone else has had any success doing this. I used to think it wasn't worth the hassle especially if the car turns up a total dog or with a hidden problem but I've had success with it recently.

We did it with a c63 and got 2 viewings before it was ready to show, we also advertised a Mitsubishi asx, they booked to view it on the day it arrived and drove off with it the same day, it was with us for around two hours.

i'm all for advertising them before they are ready, as a private buyer I can see how it was kept before being cleaned, and with the way the world works now and people prepared to travel then if it's not on the web then it won't sell.

i wont offer anything until ive perused it checked it and got it mint,most customers cant see past a set of dirty rims and sweetie wrappers on the floor so first impressions are lasting impressions, so unless i know the customer and have the car well in the pipeline its a no no for me after many years of experience,good luck to you guys/gals that get it to work for yourselves though

We often show cars as DUE IN on our website as soon as they are purchased, this certainly increases interest and often helps secure a viewing very soon after it arrives, if done properly it works a treat, but watch out for your older stock that may well bite you on your bum with costs that you just didn't see when appraising it, but it is GREAT for stock turn and even better for cash-flow!

On a side issue we always show our cars as sold on our site until they are collected, as this also gains confidence with customers to show that others are buying from us.

great post, 

Jim

• Like 1

Interesting point about the sold, we do the opposite and only mark them as sold when they have gone.

I try to put them on ..and it is amazing how many I've sold before they arrive or get appointments /deposit when it arrives ! 

Like Jim, I'm the same with the 'sold cars' put sold until paid , delivered ... after all its sold sold till we have the money :) !! And it also stops people getting annoyed if its still showing available on your site and they call in/up to enquire ! [ I've also managed to sell similar cars - sourced - I always ask is that exactly what you'e looking for , IF i can find similar would you buy ... doesn't work every time or most of the time ..but the sake of asking - i've magaed to see the odd or two ! ]

Worked the opposite way for me this morning, although it has been one of 'those weekends' with all the odd ball customers coming out at once!

But yes, guy rings over the weekend of a 50k Titanium X Estate Mondeo I've got as 'due in' ( I had 3 enquiries on this vehicle over the weekend).

The car gets delivered to me this morning at 9am and we start cleaning, he shows up at 10am and asks why it isn't clean yet despite me explaining 3 times it has been DUE IN and has literally JUST arrived. 

Anyway he says it's got too many scratches and dints so he will leave it. To be honest there is not one 'dint/dent' on the car, and there was about 5 scratches, 4 of which have now gone with T-Cut and one is still there to be smart repaired (£40 max).

So yes in a way my tactic has bit me on the bum on this occasion but it has worked very well in the past. I'm certain the next chap will have this car as it is really, really nice.

Worked the opposite way for me this morning, although it has been one of 'those weekends' with all the odd ball customers coming out at once!

But yes, guy rings over the weekend of a 50k Titanium X Estate Mondeo I've got as 'due in' ( I had 3 enquiries on this vehicle over the weekend).

The car gets delivered to me this morning at 9am and we start cleaning, he shows up at 10am and asks why it isn't clean yet despite me explaining 3 times it has been DUE IN and has literally JUST arrived. 

Anyway he says it's got too many scratches and dints so he will leave it. To be honest there is not one 'dint/dent' on the car, and there was about 5 scratches, 4 of which have now gone with T-Cut and one is still there to be smart repaired (£40 max).

So yes in a way my tactic has bit me on the bum on this occasion but it has worked very well in the past. I'm certain the next chap will have this car as it is really, really nice.

Next customer coming on same car at 4pm, so tactic obviously does work!

• Like 1