Sign in to follow this  
HKQAC

Cruise control not working

So we have a Kuga sold 3 weeks ago, that the customer came back and reported to us the cruise control doesn't work.  

We've had it back attempted to fix it, but no avail.  As you can imagine the customer has quoted all his rights under the sun and wants a refund.

I am usually of the opinion when we cant fix a mechanical fault with a car, unfortunately we just have to have it back, fix it and go on with it again.

Which is what we will do in this situation.

However I feel like cruise control on an 8 year old car not working, shouldn't warrant a full refund. 

Wondering how anyone else would approach it?

2 minutes ago, tradex said:

Was it working before it went out?

Check back on your PDI, if it was working then the fault was not present at point of sale. If, it was never working there is no come back. 

Unfortunately I've never included cruise control on our pdi sheet, who's pdi's do you use? 

New stalk will fix that wont it .

Not a refund as it doesn't leave the car unsafe or unusable either , just a minor fault especially on an 8 year old car .

More like buyers remorse that one . Made sure they haven't up plugged something or swapped it , been done before . 

We sold a Cupra R once and three weeks later it came back with Turbo issues , the new owner had swapped it with his mates car that he came in to view ours . The turbo sounded like it was shitting itself , so my son dabbed green dye on all the bolt heads of the sale car and low and behold they had all been spannered , " gottcha " The git had swapped it as when it came back the other was sounding lovely again . 

He got the f##king bollicking of a life time he did . 

Edited by David Horgan

3 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

New stalk will fix that wont it .

Not a refund as it doesn't leave the car unsafe or unusable either , just a minor fault especially on an 8 year old car .

More like buyers remorse that one . Made sure they haven't up plugged something or swapped it , been done before . 

It's buttons on the steering wheel, and we've replaced those as well as brake sensors disconnected the battery and reconnected it, and nothing so far.

You can get retro fitting cruise control kits, do you think I'm within my right to just offer to do that for them?

Just now, HKQAC said:

It's buttons on the steering wheel, and we've replaced those as well as brake sensors disconnected the battery and reconnected it, and nothing so far.

You can get retro fitting cruise control kits, do you think I'm within my right to just offer to do that for them?

Of course you are , cruise isn't life threatening is it , just fix it , tell em its a car with 5000 moving parts and 2 miles of wire , not the perfect mechanically made thing that they conceive it is  , lucky for them it went when it did as now they haven't got to fix it have they . 

Buyer remorse so take control . 

• Like 1

my weekend car has cruise

i wouldnt live without it

your customer is telling you the same

was it advertised anywhere as having cruise control?

was it asked during pre sales agreement

frankly if its got the controls on the wheel im sure you would try it on your pdi or on the way to the test station,if it didnt work then the sales invoice at the bottom notes to customer cruise doesnt work

why create problems/

refund move on or they will probably lba you ,i would dont care if its 8 years old

sorry your a motor trader not someone tatting from home flying by your undies

50 minutes ago, tradex said:

Was it working before it went out?

Check back on your PDI, if it was working then the fault was not present at point of sale. If, it was never working there is no come back. 

not true this though is it unless brought to customers attention

you would need to advise customer of this fault or presumption comes in

remember your the knowledgeable one here

• Like 1

My God we will be refunding people for loose valve caps next .

Cruise is broke , Just mend the bloody thing , Not difficult is it , happy customer then , all this stuff about how its described and was it this that and the other in the sales advert and whats on invoices  is piffle .

Cars are not perfect , they break , Fix the problem asap and jobs done , 

OMG mr customer , how unfortunate , don't worry we know how to put that right , remember 99% of the whole private population of car users and 40% of traders think its complicated , just assure them its easy and they are going to get it fixed . 

• Like 2

This is a very common issue on the Mk4 Mondeos which I'm guessing is similar to the Kuga?

It's down to the airbag squib behind the steering wheel. No need for coding on the Mk4 Mondeo (2008-2014) unsure on the Kuga.

Main dealer level diagnostic equipment (and someone who knows how to use it of course) should give you the answer.

2 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Main dealer level diagnostic equipment (and someone who knows how to use it of course) should give you the answer.

Yes defo, the MK4 mondeo suffered from implausible switches on the steering wheel, its not common to have to change both switches.

You could sometimes bring them back to life by pressing the living daylights out of them.

Buttons are dodgy on those Korean steerings. Had an IX35 here a few months back. Cruise not working as I discovered on a journey, couldn't find a steering at the breakers which had cruise, just one with a blank. So removed the buttons, put on the blank filler and thought nobody would notice. Lady came to buy it and the first thing she noticed was it had no cruise control. Told her it mustn't be in that model and sold it to her.

• Like 2