Sign in to follow this  
gerry marks

stock showing on finance

Hi All 

Finding the job very hard at present so looking at every detail that could effect sales , our stock now shows that it is indeed on finance 

Autotrader really pushing experian hpi checks and our stock shows i understand why however i feel this is having a negative effect any one out there 

feel the same 

kind regards 

Gerry

Nope, I don't think it makes a difference now that AT have amended the way they show stocking finance. Previously they may as well have said "don't buy this car it's on finance and will cause you no end of issues" and now they have softly explained what stocking finance is etc. I sold a £19k car to a chap who knew it was on stocking finance before he'd even turned up. 

I don't think it makes a difference, if someone wants your car, they will pick up the phone, ask the question, you will explain how the stocking finance process works and if done correctly that will alleviate a potential customers nerves.

Price , prep , quality , location , wording , pics , where it advertised , how many in your area , model spec , colour of various makes, packages offered , lack of finance , lack of card terminal , restricted opening times ,  there's lots of  reasons that beat the stocking loan question my friend as why a car doesn't sell quickly . 

Just remember this simple rule of business 

IF YOUR NOT BUSY , ITS YOUR OWN FAULT .  simples if you think about it 

First hard lesson i ever learnt that was .  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Price , prep , quality , location , wording , pics , where it advertised , how many in your area , model spec , colour of various makes, packages offered , lack of finance , lack of card terminal , restricted opening times ,  there's lots of  reasons that beat the stocking loan question my friend as why a car doesn't sell quickly . 

Just remember this simple rule of business 

First hard lesson i ever learnt that was .  

+1 could not agree more 

47 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Agree. When you look at things objectively there is more you can be doing. Sometimes the mindset and being critical of yourself is the hardest thing but when you identify what you can do better you start winning again.

4 hours ago, gerry marks said:

Hi All 

Finding the job very hard at present so looking at every detail that could effect sales , our stock now shows that it is indeed on finance 

Autotrader really pushing experian hpi checks and our stock shows i understand why however i feel this is having a negative effect any one out there 

feel the same 

kind regards 

Gerry

specific to the question then yes i do think it has a negative effect, depending on what you are selling.

certainly on high end stuff it is becoming an issue, if the customer is savvy enough to hpi check your stock then they are savvy enough to work out if the car is sor or a stocking loan or old stock, don't presume they don't know how it works, this info obviously gives the buyer a feel for if or how much he can kick you for, or in the case of sor the finance on the car is upside down, all this can obviously be off putting for a buyer.

the forums like pistonhead's are full of serious buyers all spending as much time discussing the vendor as they do researching the actual car. sadly there are currently plenty of dealers robbing peter to pay paul trading on the balance of financed / stock loaned cars, all of this no doubt makes a buyer very cautious.

there is a big difference between a customer asking you why the car is showing financed as apposed to you making them aware the car is temporally showing as financed, so yes a car showing on hpi can only be a negative,unless someone can think of a positive reason.

@David Horgan you touched on location.

I've been wondering lately how important location is. I'm due to go it alone after summer, and Walsall where I live isn't surrounded by the most affluent areas.

Where we work now, the bulk of our customers came from Worcester, Gloucester, Hereford, even Wales and Bristol.

Walsall is only half an hour north, but...it makes me wonder how I'll do trading from home in a not so great location.

Having said that, Emerald House of Cars are in a crap area, and they get customers from all over. Then again, I'm no Emerald House of Cars :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, gerry marks said:

Hi All 

feel the same 

kind regards 

Gerry

I suppose you will never know exactly how many customers have not phoned you because the car they are interested in shows up as having outstanding finance. But if you think that this may contribute to the lack of enquiries, then simply unsubscribe from Autotraders hpi service. The hpi reports will still appear to customers, but minus the finance part. 

If its still quiet after you have removed the package, then the only advice is pretty much all of the above...see David Horgans post.

It can be very easy to fall into a rut, and the hardest thing can be self motivation and self criticism. Hope it picks up for you.