Mercftw

Motor trade insurance

Hi guys was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question.

so being 18 & recently passed I’ve got put on to my Dad’s motor trade policy but only under business use until I’ve had my license then it goes to SDP, with restrictions of course. 

I help him out free of charge by moving vehicles from one location to another, advertising etc so how would I prove that I’m an employee of his business if I get pulled over by 5-0 

You wouldn’t need to prove you’re an employee you’re on his insurance. None of the plods business whether you’re an employee or not.

3 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

You wouldn’t need to prove you’re an employee you’re on his insurance. None of the plods business whether you’re an employee or not.

But I’m pretty sure it says on the motor certificate any person in relation to use for motor trade. I mean I did get stopped once but this was when I just passed and his previous policy covered me on SDP but before they knew that they said I needed to prove I was an employee but I’m guessing they only let me go because I was on SDP and didn’t matter what I was doing with the car as I was insured for anything 

hi if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost for you to be put on the policy? Everyone i ask always want me to be 25+, guess i have to wait 2 years, I would have just said that I just purchased the vehicle and driving it back, or just simply test driving after having some mechanical work done to it. Just depends on what the situation is when you been pulled.

Just now, arslan2468 said:

hi if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost for you to be put on the policy? Everyone i ask always want me to be 25+, guess i have to wait 2 years, I would have just said that I just purchased the vehicle and driving it back, or just simply test driving after having some mechanical work done to it. Just depends on what the situation is when you been pulled.

So bare in mind having no NCB and only 6 months driving experience and being 18 the quote wasn’t too bad. £4700 for 3 drivers, combined policy. I’m pretty sure who we’re with said to me that once I’m 22 theres no restrictions on SDP which is surprising tbh

3 minutes ago, tradex said:

This is a great question, insurance company may see this as fronting if the shit hits the fan. 

The ONLY thing to do is ask the insurance company. 

Lol there won’t be any fronting I will genuinely only use it for business but it’s just that it may be difficult to prove I’m an employee as I’m guessing the definition of an employee would include some reference on regular payment 

To be an employee you need a contract but that contract can be verbal (from what I was told last week).

My policy covers anybody employed by me for business use.  I occassionally use casual drivers (a bit like you and your Dad), so if I verbally employ someone for an hour, a day or however long with either a verbal or written contact, they are covered.

That is what I was told by Aston Lark last week at the CDX exhibition and he knows his stuff.

while you are on business use what veeicarl would you be in?

ie is it a trade vehicle so on trade plates moving from place a to b on trade business

or a car /van registered to your dads business thus you are using it to collect parts/customers etc

at 18 i would be very very careful how i proceeded

6 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

while you are on business use what veeicarl would you be in?

ie is it a trade vehicle so on trade plates moving from place a to b on trade business

or a car /van registered to your dads business thus you are using it to collect parts/customers etc

at 18 i would be very very careful how i proceeded

They would usually be high end cars but thankfully I haven’t had a problem l, only once in my personal 1l ibiza

Ask your insurers if the policy covers “a contract of service” which is basically you giving someone permission to use your trade vehicles for trade purposes. Moving from MOT station to premises etc. If so, anyone can drive your trade vehicles providing its for trade use. 

3 hours ago, Mercftw said:

So bare in mind having no NCB and only 6 months driving experience and being 18 the quote wasn’t too bad. £4700 for 3 drivers, combined policy. I’m pretty sure who we’re with said to me that once I’m 22 theres no restrictions on SDP which is surprising tbh

Do you mind me asking which insurance company you was with to get such a quote i agree this is fairly reasonable and i have a young driver i could do with adding to the policy. ( Can PM me if its easier for you)

In answer to your question i dont think the plod will be to bothered your insured to drive the vehicle. its the insurance company you would need to speak with. Maybe have your dad draw up a contract that details you as a voluntary worker ?

Edited by JA Trader

Another question is if I’m driving for business use but have mates or family in the car would that be an issue. To be honest I can’t see why but according to my dad you can’t have passengers or it’s classed as SDP which I believe is strange 

It is a very grey area, I’ve had a trade policy since I was 18, in my early days it was just so I could insure my Subaru’s etc. However many a time was stopped late at night with pals in the car etc and I just said I was road testing the vehicle long term for faults. Never had any hassle apart from last year bear in mind I’m ten years older now, I got pulled out of my C63 for no insurance, they argued because it was a Friday evening in casual clothes I wasn’t working (I was actually on the way to collect a bill payment from a customer). Anyway to do without the grief I am now insured for sdp aswell.

I didn’t bother with this early on as my company would insure me for sdp however they would only cover me for upto a 1.8  N/A cars so not really any point.

2 minutes ago, MarkTVS said:

It is a very grey area, I’ve had a trade policy since I was 18, in my early days it was just so I could insure my Subaru’s etc. However many a time was stopped late at night with pals in the car etc and I just said I was road testing the vehicle long term for faults. Never had any hassle apart from last year bear in mind I’m ten years older now, I got pulled out of my C63 for no insurance, they argued because it was a Friday evening in casual clothes I wasn’t working (I was actually on the way to collect a bill payment from a customer). Anyway to do without the grief I am now insured for sdp aswell.

I didn’t bother with this early on as my company would insure me for sdp however they would only cover me for upto a 1.8  N/A cars so not really any point.

Hmm, seems like they’re cracking down a lot more now. Tbh in our area there’s a high amount of uninsured drivers so I wouldn’t be surprised if I got pulled over. If the cars coming up on MId and I’m driving normally they can’t really pull me over without good reason or can they. 

I’m going to ask the insurer this tomorrow but if I’m in a car that’s only insured for business use am I allowed to grab a bite to eat whilst in the car during my break or do I have to find other ways of transport 

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me that what you’re really trying to achieve is to find a workaround in order for you to drive flash cars on SDP basis otherwise what relevance would “what if I have mates in a car” have?

Back in the day, I was 18 and had a motor trade policy. Like Mark above, it was as much to do with insuring sporty cars which were otherwise out of reach at that age as it was trying to sell a few.

I’m 45 now and once you’ve experienced some “real life” events, you soon realise that trying to skew the rules, finding ways to bullshit the police with “I’m on business gov” isn’t plausible and certainly not credible.

You're 18, take the medicine because sooner than you think you’ll be 45, wishing you were 18 again and will be staggered that “how can I drive a flash motor on a business policy” was your biggest issue.

7 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me that what you’re really trying to achieve is to find a workaround in order for you to drive flash cars on SDP basis

I agree sounds like he wants to drive sdp but with only business cover.  If i'm right in saying you can have passengers in the car but the use has to still be business, plod cant say anything regarding passengers but they could probe your use.

When I am doing errands I like to have mates in the car so it isn’t as boring, not trying to use a motor trade policy on SDP as I have taken out a separate policy

insurance companies are right on the ball these days. all i can add to this discussion for you, is to be very careful if you have an accident. the insurance company will want proof that you are properly employed on the books ie tax and ni,  by your fathers business!! they normally would have asked him to supply your tax reference number etc by now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony F said:

insurance companies are right on the ball these days. all i can add to this discussion for you, is to be very careful if you have an accident. the insurance company will want proof that you are properly employed on the books ie tax and ni,  by your fathers business!! they normally would have asked him to supply your tax reference number etc by now.

Just has a look over the policy and he’s put down the wage roll £0 so I don’t think it’ll be an issue 

7 minutes ago, C B said:

He won't because he might hear something he doesn't want to like..... stop trying to find loop holes to jump through and admit you have to take the Ibiza to the retail park and not one of the exotic stock cars.

MMMMMMMMMMMM retail park

doh nuts all round  :D

51 minutes ago, C B said:

He won't because he might hear something he doesn't want to like..... stop trying to find loop holes to jump through and admit you have to take the Ibiza to the retail park and not one of the exotic stock cars.

An Ibiza with a black box or a 'flash merc' with your mates.............

23 hours ago, Mercftw said:

When I am doing errands I like to have mates in the car so it isn’t as boring, not trying to use a motor trade policy on SDP as I have taken out a separate policy

How far are you going??? I recommend travelling between 1030 and 1045, Popmaster will ease the boredom