Sign in to follow this  
XFS

Tail of Woe - Help Sought

So, this morning I hops into a Merc ML350 to take it round to the bodyshop for some minor refurb. Despite having a reverse camera and parking sensors which go off like an air raid siren if you get within half a mile of anything, a low lying wall which has never moved before decided to proceed rapidly towards the rear of the car and then quite blatantly and deliberately cause some minor damage to the rear plastic bumper valance and trim.

I have priced up replacement parts at £400 odd plus VAT. Then there will be £100 odd plus VAT in labour as I really can't be arsed myself.

My question..have any of you experience off or knowledge off having plastic trim repaired and chrome trim rechromed? My bodyman doesn't do and doesn't know anyone who can. 

My smart repairers paint plastic trim/diffusers. Bumpers are plastic of some sort of another, i can’t see why it can’t be painted. As for the “chrome” trim it’s probably plastic not chrome and will be best replaced. 

chrome trim is going to be a pain

Just now, EPV said:

My smart repairers paint plastic trim/diffusers. Bumpers are plastic of some sort of another, i can’t see why it can’t be painted. As for the “chrome” trim it’s probably plastic not chrome and will be best replaced. 

or repair and paint the chrome black...........

• Like 1

Just now, MSP Motors said:

chrome trim is going to be a pain

or repair and paint the chrome black...........

Yeah, why not. Or repair and wrap it. 

Just now, EPV said:

Yes. the Chrome trim is plastic, I just wondered if it could easily be rechromed. The plastic bumper is textured, so would need to be retextured, not just repainted.

Just trying to spend less than £500 on what is fairly minor damage. Had it been the painted part of the bumper it would have been a lot easier.

7 minutes ago, XFS said:

Yes. the Chrome trim is plastic, I just wondered if it could easily be rechromed. The plastic bumper is textured, so would need to be retextured, not just repainted.

Just trying to spend less than £500 on what is fairly minor damage. Had it been the painted part of the bumper it would have been a lot easier.

Paint the valence/splitter the same colour as the body. I can’t see many noticing noticing that 

20 minutes ago, EPV said:

Paint the valence/splitter the same colour as the body. I can’t see many noticing noticing that 

If only. It would mean painting front trim and side trim also :(

It started of as a car with a fair bit of profit in it to.

Textured paint a doddle for any smart repairer, chrome trim just paint it black and it will never be noticed.

Get a new Bodyshop i’d Say. 

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

Textured paint a doddle for any smart repairer, chrome trim just paint it black and it will never be noticed.

9 minutes ago, EPV said:

Get a new Bodyshop i’d Say. 

Not as simple as it sounds. This is a 18k car and needs to be essentially manufacturers spec.

painting the trim black would look ok, but this would mean painting ALL the trim on the car black which is no easy task and would end up more expensive than buying new parts.

The only practical solutions are replace the parts or a high quality repair to the damaged areas specifically.

£18k maybe but I bet it was £60k when new. Up to you mate but i’d be making it look smart to the untrained eye and jogging on anyone who came round fussing over a neat and tidy but not “manufacturers spec” repair. Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Screenman said:

It may cost a few bob to get it over here.

The price is in the advert, £176 + £80 postage. 

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Thank you. It’s very tempting but perhaps risky considering it would only represent a saving of About £160

Looks like I,ll have to bite the bullet and accept the wasted £500 odd as a fine for my carelessness and stupidity. :(

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The price is in the advert, £176 + £80 postage. 

I missed that bit, just saw the $ part. Just seen it is only in Bulgaria, I have exported out there a few times and it is not like bringing stuff in from over the pond.

Edited by Screenman

24 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The advert says it’s in perfect condition 

It would be a bit of a mission to get it here from Bulgaria and the chances of it not being damaged in transit....

Also, it’s for a left hand drive model, so the tow hook cover plate is on the wrong side.

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The advert says it’s in perfect condition 

A Bulgarian wrote that. You can't possibly trust it.

In Bulgarian the word Perfect has the same meaning as the word Immaculate here: Well used with signs of fair wear and tear but can do the job if you are not too fussy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Horgan said:

What about a chrome wrap , 

Is that to costly ? 

I will look at it thanks. Basically, for it to be worth the effort I would need any repairs to cost about £200 in total rather than the £400 to replace the parts.

I found a complete bumper on eBay within 1 hour of me, if the vendor will agree to sell me the parts I need, this may offer a solution. The bumper looks in very good condition and is the right colour. But for the fact it is for a model without reverse park camera I would have bought the whole thing.

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

A Bulgarian wrote that. You can't possibly trust it.

In Bulgarian the word Perfect has the same meaning as the word Immaculate here: Well used with signs of fair wear and tear but can do the job if you are not too fussy. 

I looked at their feedback and not one neg for poor description, also with the Paypal guarantee they would be liable for return postage if misrepresented. No risk to the buyer. 

6 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I looked at their feedback and not one neg for poor description, also with the Paypal guarantee they would be liable for return postage if misrepresented. No risk to the buyer. 

horses for courses

thing is often from eastern europe they say will arrive within a time scale but never does,yes you can complain but often end up playing the waiting game

I used to love repairing black textured plastic when I was a SMART repairer, absolute doddle.

I had the trims done on a Cherokee last week all the way around plus a crack in the bumper for £300.

Repairer had to order the texture and the paint in because there are so few cars now with textured black/grey bumpers.