Sign in to follow this  
Tony911

Nissan xtrail automatic

Hi all, quick question about a 2003 nissan xtrail we got in px couple of weeks ago it's a 2.0petrol automatic. On a cold start it doesn't seem to move out of park for about about a minute and then all is well is this normal as it's very smooth through the gears.

It’s f***ed. That’s my first guess, hopefully I’m wrong.

Low gearbox oil, or filthy gearbox oil & filter would be my second guess.

My third, and final, guess would be at what price to advertise it on GumTree along with my £20 throw away phone from Asda. 

Was thinking of gearbox oil and filter change as I'm guessing the oil is dead because once the car gets warm a little a slips into gear smoothly and drives perfect. Just on a cold start for a minute 

I'd say blocked trans oil filter due to dirty or wrong oil and insufficient pressure to operate. Once it warms slightly it improves. An oil and filter change should improve it a lot. Some Mercs suffer from this where the torque converter material breaks up and these small debris block the filter.

25 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I'd say blocked trans oil filter due to dirty or wrong oil and insufficient pressure to operate. Once it warms slightly it improves. An oil and filter change should improve it a lot. Some Mercs suffer from this where the torque converter material breaks up and these small debris block the filter.

Very much this /\ /\ /\

What happens with a CVT is a band or 2 breaks off the Steel Link Chain and the pieces block the Filter, so when the oil is cold and thicker it doesn't get enough pressure to release Park until the Oil has thinned a little. Oil and Filter is a short term fix but the Chain will break sooner rather than later and then all the Diff and Drop Gear teeth will get smashed to bits making the box un rebuildable without significant surcharges.

I'd go with the SOR or Gumtree / Burner Phone route ;) 

Edited by Dave2302

There is a chap on you tube who stripped one of these boxes down,it makes an interesting watch if you are mechanically minded,basically your problem would be an oil and filter change I would suspect if there is no slippage or noises but the oil is not cheap and is only available from Nissan if you want to do it right,you need to drop the sump too and be careful of not overflowing.

THere's a bloke does the job in sandals at the roadside in . Another YouTube video

No words were abused in. The making of this post

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Very much this /\ /\ /\

What happens with a CVT is a band or 2 breaks off the Steel Link Chain and the pieces block the Filter, so when the oil is cold and thicker it doesn't get enough pressure to release Park until the Oil has thinned a little. Oil and Filter is a short term fix but the Chain will break sooner rather than later and then all the Diff and Drop Gear teeth will get smashed to bits making the box un rebuildable without significant surcharges.

I'd go with the SOR or Gumtree / Burner Phone route ;) 

Dave it's not a cvt gearbox it's a good old fashioned automatic. 2003 nissan xtrail 2.0 petrol am I right?

4 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

This is what i think the oil and filter haven't been changed for a long time guessing as their ain't no slipping or rough gear changes. Wouldn't really be arsed with retailing it but has only done 60000 miles and it is mint inside and out

14 hours ago, Tony911 said:

Dave it's not a cvt gearbox it's a good old fashioned automatic. 2003 nissan xtrail 2.0 petrol am I right?

If it's not a CVT then it is more likely a mechanical or electrical issue, something is not allowing the Park Latch, Linkage or Gear Selector to release.

There is no hydraulic involvement on regular trans, so rules out what I said earlier. I'm not really that familiar with Nissans, but a long while ago all we ever used to see Nissan wise was CVT's I thought they fitted 'em in everything lol, had a Squashqai in doing that recently, that was def a CVT ;)

It needs the linkage at trans disconnecting, then leave it overnight and first thing see if the Trans will come out of Park from the lever on the trans, if so it is not internal, etc etc. 

Edited by Dave2302